Winw for Orange Pi (PC+)

petaspam

I actually tested on Opi PC+ with 4.10.x but it was crashing all the time. I didn't investigate why, while on XU4 it was working. Linux i386 applications were working good while apps under Wine also, but they had some strange refresh. Usable, but still need some work. 

I started to talk with Eltech folks to see if something can be done to ensure better support on Allwinner boards.

Hi.
Thank you for your answers.

I am nobato in the world of the miniPc ARM and they are very green as far as linux is concerned.

I have tried installing the WINE from the repository without success, I suppose that is why it is not compiled for ARM (I am wrong?).

So at the moment it is not possible to use simple applications for windows in our Orange Pi?

Can experts advise me?

1 hour ago, petaspam said:

So at the moment it is not possible to use simple applications for windows in our Orange Pi?

I'm not an expert.

But you need to know some things:

1. Wine is a "sort" of Windows Emulator to run some applications in Linux . You need to emulated the whole Operative System to cheat the App over the platform in which is running.
  2. Wine is x86 application
  3. Windows is a x86, intel and AMD only with some exceptions in the past and maybe in the future, Operative System
  4. GNU/Linux is a x86, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, ... Operative System
  5. Eltechs ExaGear is a ARM application to emulated x86 CPU

So in a Orange Pi you need:

1. GNU/Linux ARM Operative System like armbian.
  2. Install ExaGear to emulated x86 CPU
  3. Install OS like Ubuntu 16.04 x86 (not needed beacuase Eltechs included in his software Virtual Machine or something)
  4. Install Wine x86 inside the Ubuntu 16.04 x86
  5. Install the Windows application

4 hours ago, petaspam said:

Orange Pi runs Armbian Linux. With little effort you'll find equivalent or most likely vastly superior replacements for 'simple Windows applications'..

Emulating Windows on ARM is not a satisfactory experience, WINE is a tweaked emulated X86 WIN-environment and the Raspi infomercial you mention tries to sell you their proprietary version of it. QEMU is a possibility to install some WINDOWS 'Operating System' in a X86-emulator - it 'works' but you will hear your beard growing.

Long story short : If you desperately need the Windows experience, go buy a Windows box. Meanwhile experience the excellent Armbian on OPI !

Doubtful. If you get it working, you'll be doing something like this:

Windows app -> Windows emulator -> x86 emulator -> Linux on ARM

I believe it would be extremely slow per-se,  then you must account for the low specs of most ARM boards (the OPis are not that powerful either). Not very practical IMHO