OPI Prime board

Bubba

I found it this a.m. looking at the downloads on orangepi website, it looked promising so I ordered it.

I am happy with my PCplus and 1 st Zero, and I have got a zero plus coming in the next day or so.

Steven should give us a heads up on these new boards.

Looking at the holes placement this looks to be the Orange Pi Plus2e form factor and also the board layout, so just SoC and wireless module were switched, eMMC was removed and SPI flash pads were added.

No eMMC or at least eMMC pad is a little bit disappointing. No SPI flash too (but the pads are at least something)). But I guess this is the price of copy-paste driven development reusing previous product designs...

Yes, that's why Steven increased is OPiPC+ price of $2.

But still, that doesn't prevent adding the same 8GB eMMC on OPiPrime, which is already almost the double of the price of OPiPC+.

Compare also this pricing with OPiPlus2E which has a 16GB eMMC.

No, I think the main reason is lack of space on the PCB, he would have to either reduce the 2GB to 1GB, or make the board bigger.

Icenowy got a dev sample and sent already a DT upstream: http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/04/04/shenzhen-xunlong-releases-two-orange-pi-boards-with-64-bit-arm-processor-2gb-ram/#comment-541109

What about one single Armbian image for OPi PC 2, PC 2 Plus, Prime and Prime Plus?

• Adding eMMC capabilities to u-boot
  • Patching the DT with THS stuff and eMMC
  • Adding the need for the following on Prime/Prime Plus to documentation: 'echo 'fdtfile=sun50i-h5-orangepiprimeplus.dtb' >> /boot/armbianEnv.txt'

What am I'm missing?

18 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

IMO we should push Igor to push Steven to push an universal bootloader on the SPI flash

This won't help us much since:

1) mainline u-boot for H2+/H3 is not very well compatible with legacy stuff (non-Armbian images and especially Android) and Armbian is not the main and only OS release for these boards

2) mainline u-boot for H5 and A64 is not compatible at all with the legacy stuff, and in addition it's not done yet (mainly the ATF part)

3) a "universal" bootloader in the SPI flash still doesn't solve the board differentiation issue, and we even don't have DT file names for all new boards yet

4) at least the Orange Pi Win doesn't have a FEL button. Oops...

Is it possible to jump from one u-boot to another? The 'universal bootloader' living in SPI flash detects boring 'legacy' situation with an Allwinner u-boot on SD card or eMMC and then simply hands over to this... and continues to do something awesome otherwise...

3 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Is it possible to jump from one u-boot to another?

It may be possible, but

First, jumping from mainline to legacy may not be a good idea since legacy stuff may expect different (uninitialized) state with clocks and peripherials

Second, SPI has the lowest boot priority (not counting FEL mode), so if SD or eMMC contains bootable stuff (Armbian, android, vendor provided images) SPI flash will be simply ignored

Dont know who Steven's board designer is, but has failed hard in that board too as he has failed on the PC2 previously.

Again in OrangePi Prime the PCM0 pins are used to turn on ..leds.

Crippling both two new A53 boards and not been able to use any DAC from the myriads that are out there, so Xunlong again going away from the audiophile audience. 

5 hours ago, Christos said:

Dont know who Steven's board designer is, but has failed hard in that board too as he has failed on the PC2 previously.

Again in OrangePi Prime the PCM0 pins are used to turn on ..leds.

Crippling both two new A53 boards and not been able to use any DAC from the myriads that are out there, so Xunlong again going away from the audiophile audience. 

You can always use an external USB dac, if thats your thing. My fiio works perfectly on all oranges i own.

USB DAC dongles are usually (known to all audiophiiles) crappy/jittery/noisy devices.

If I wanted to do that I could do it in every board is out there and has a USB, but as you understand that is not what I said.

1 hour ago, gnasch said:

@christos - did you inform xunlong (forum or email) about the flaw?

thx, gnasch

Yep, even from the PC2 release had contacted Steven about it in order to catch if possible the replication of the flaw to any new design but as it seems to no avail..

For the Prime, I also contacted him directly as soon as I saw the schematic, he knows this but he mentioned that I should go to the orangepi forum and discuss it because its a ..technical detail..

12 hours ago, Christos said:

USB DAC dongles are usually (known to all audiophiiles) crappy/jittery/noisy devices.

If I wanted to do that I could do it in every board is out there and has a USB, but as you understand that is not what I said.

If you buy a quality DAC/amp, there won't be any issues, especially if you power it externally. I mean, once you eliminate power issue, it shouldn't matter if the digital stream comes from usb or i2s

12 hours ago, Christos said:

If I wanted to do that I could do it in every board is out there and has a USB

Thank you for the idea. Now I have a use case for the NanoPi Air lying around. Will integrate it into my 'crappy/jittery/noisy' USB DAC to make it AirPlay/Shairport ready.

BTW: I really love it that every thread here goes off-topic. 

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:

BTW: I really love it that every thread here goes off-topic. 

Last time I checked the title was reading "OPi Prime board", and my comments are about that board's design.

Where do you see the off-topic?

BTW: If you feel like it, you are an admin, delete the posts.