RK3399 Orange Pi

Igor

On 11/25/2018 at 2:30 AM, Myy said:

Ok, I was able to get a bootloader back, without shortcuting because shortcuting sucks, with one of their RK3399MiniLoader image.

I wonder why the official Rockchip loader didn't work...

Whatever, the command is :

./rkdeveloptool db /path/where/you/unpacked/Linux_rockdev/rockdev/RK3399MiniLoaderAll_V1.05_DDR666MHz.bin

Anyway, there's enough emotions for today.

I guess that the next logicial step should be : trying to understand how to compile a U-Boot and Miniloader for that board, so that I can have a configurable U-Boot...

Their images date from the 17th June 2015...

I would love to get out of this MASKROM mode, so I tried a few things without luck for the time being. I compiled the rkdeveloptool on a Raspberry Pi and on my XU4, but I can't find this bin file.
I suppose it's coming from https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkbin/blob/master/bin/rk33/rk3399_ddr_666MHz_v1.20.bin ?
For the time being, it has not worked. I guess that's not the right file to use.1551301908_Sanstitre.thumb.png.2a6fad9fce2f1536d66e9e41d1c20860.png

Would this one be the right one https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkbin/blob/master/bin/rk33/rk3399_miniloader_v1.19.bin ?

Thanks.

I tried with another file (https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkbin/raw/master/bin/rk33/rk3399_miniloader_v1.19.bin), but it failed the same way:

$ sudo rkdeveloptool db rk3399_miniloader_v1.19.bin
Opening loader failed, exiting download boot!

I then tried with all the files starting with rk3399 that I found in the repository, but the error is always the same.

Later on, I managed to write an Android image with AndroidTool under Windows... So I'm back to the "LOADER" mode.
Phew...
Now... Let's try again to install Armbian. I guess I should just have the SDCARD with Armbian on it, do the ground trick, and check on my router for a new DHCP lease?

No output on the HDMI I guess?
Thanks.

Glad you got back from MASKROM mode.

The image I used at the time was from RKTool_Linux.tar.gz -> Linux_Pack_Firmware/Linux-rockdev_2015-06-17_for_RK3399.zip -> rockdev/

This comes from OrangePi MEGA folder : https://mega.nz/#F!K1BQFQjL!W9rYedaoGpV4y8vHfrGEfQ!ekYA0AwR

Why did they hide the image into a sub-sub-archive on a random MEGA folder ? I don't know.

Despite being out of MASKROM mode, I don't get anything on screen with the Android image I (supposedly) wrote on the eMMC.

I have shorted TP50265 and ground so that I can boot on SDCARD, but I can't see anything new appearing on my router logs. The router light blinks, but I guess the board does not ask for DHCP.
Could it be linked to the fact the board is powered by USB-C? A barrel power adapter is still on its way to my home...
The documentation is not that clear about that subject.

I bought a NanoPC-T4 Heat Sink as a base to hack, and a 13.2MP MIPI Camera Module, as I was not able to find a camera suitable for this RK3399 at the OrangePi store.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, martinayotte said:

I don't see any errors ...

Maybe PuTTy isn't compatible for that baud rate ?

It's not PuTTy but the latest version (10.1.7) of the Silicon Lab CP210x USB to UART Bridge driver.  That only works up to a baudrate of 9 999 999 baud. Had to go back to my old version (10.1.2.2115) to get it going again for this high baudrate. There several versions in between, but I didn't check those....

On 4/12/2019 at 8:29 AM, gounthar said:

Despite being out of MASKROM mode, I don't get anything on screen with the Android image I (supposedly) wrote on the eMMC.

I have shorted TP50265 and ground so that I can boot on SDCARD, but I can't see anything new appearing on my router logs. The router light blinks, but I guess the board does not ask for DHCP.
Could it be linked to the fact the board is powered by USB-C? A barrel power adapter is still on its way to my home...
The documentation is not that clear about that subject.

I bought a NanoPC-T4 Heat Sink as a base to hack, and a 13.2MP MIPI Camera Module, as I was not able to find a camera suitable for this RK3399 at the OrangePi store.

I had the same problem with a fresh build of the latest dev image. I flashed onto eMMC, but the RK3399 would not boot from it. After booting again from an (older) SD card, I was able to update the bootloader on eMMC using armbian-config. After rebooting again with the SD card still in place, the eMMC image seemed to take over again and work like normal. After that I could boot direct to eMMC without SD card again.

A few days ago, I managed to flash Android to this board by using the loader mode. It even booted right away, entered in ADB mode, so that I was able to make a few tests.
It then crashed; I haven't been able to reinstall anything on it since then.

I received a 12V/5A 5.5*2.1 PSU today, and thought I would progress because the documentation says;

Since OrangePi RK3399 supports powered by TypeC, power voltage on USB of PC is enough for
flashing image. However, it may not enough to support Orange Pi booting. In that case, we need to
insert DC power supply to make sure the Orange Pi could boot successfully after flashed image.

I had once the board boot by itself into Android after installing while in loader mode and powered only by USB, but...
I managed to keep in loader mode despite having plugged the USB-C in AND the PSU (pressed the recovery button, then connected USB-C. Released the recovery button, pressed the recovery button, plug the PSU in, released the recovery button). I then flashed Android, but nothing happened, even at the next cold reboot.

I then shorted TP50265 to the ground and powered the board with the PSU to get Armbian to start from the SDCARD, without success.

I received the camera module, but I'm so far from testing it.
I'm kind of stuck with this board and its lack of documentation...

31 minutes ago, gounthar said:

I then shorted TP50265 to the ground and powered the board with the PSU to get Armbian to start from the SDCARD, without success.

I know by been one of the first having done that, TP50265 is so small, you need steady not shaking hand to make the short correctly ...

34 minutes ago, gounthar said:

I got help from my son: he powered the board when I was shorting the TP50265.
I will do it again tomorrow with better light.
How much time should I short the TP50265 by the way?

Instead of applying power, if I recall correctly, I used the RESET button SW2103, it is much easier to press, and less risks to shake your other hand doing the TP50265 short...

I see. Let's try this.

By the way, did you get any output on the HDMI?
Here is what nmap tells me after shorting TP50265 to the ground, pressing reset, and releasing reset, then unshorting...

nmap -O -sV -Pn 192.168.0.25
Starting Nmap 7.50 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-04-28 19:01 ope
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.25
Host is up (0.035s latency).
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.0.25 are closed
MAC Address: 00:08:22:F2:20:FC (InPro Comm)
Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details

It looks like all ports are closed, so the boot has not gone very well I suppose.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, gounthar said:

By the way, did you get any output on the HDMI?

I'm running my OrangePi3 headless, but just to verify HDMI, I've tested with both my Dell 23in monitor as well as a small 10in HDMI LCD, and I'm able to see the login prompt in plain text (without any x11).

1 hour ago, gounthar said:

After I launched nand-sata-install, I rebooted, and the board can't be reached anymore...

Did the nand-sata-install succeed ?

Personally, I didn't get issue and I'm running Armbian from the eMMC...

Thanks for testing. For the time being, I tested with a HDMI2VGA adapter, but will be able to test on a HDMI screen today.
The nand-sata-install did not give any error or warning. I should maybe do it again and see something in the logs.

Should I shutdown the machine, remove the SDCard, and then start with a cold boot after installing on the eMMC?

Should I shutdown the machine, remove the SDCard, and then start with a cold boot after installing on the eMMC?

Yes. A question should be provided to you on the end by defaults to "Power off". I installed it to eMMC and it worked fine in 1st try ... only shorting those pins was a bit tricky :)

Stupid me forgot the cable to short the pins at home. :wacko:

I attached the board to a real HDMI screen this morning, and guess what?
I got the OrangePi Android version running...

So definitely, the installation to the eMMC failed for me.
I won't be able to do any other test until tonight, as I am missing the cable.

I plugged an HDMI cable from a Raspberry Pi to the HDMI in, but nothing appears with the HDMI-IN application.
As a side note, the camera module does not work under Android.
When I insert the blue ribbon side up, the board does not start, and when I insert the blue ribbon side down,

I have no pic with the camera application.

IMG_20190429_100701.jpg

IMG_20190429_100624.jpg

As I forgot the cable to short TP50265 to the ground, I gave a go to the installation via the

RKTool_Linux/linux/Linux_Upgrade_Tool/Linux_Upgrade_Tool_v1.24/upgrade_tool

and got a few problems with this binary. I had to install a few 32 bits dependencies, and then I was not able to link the board in "Loader" mode to the VirtualBox machine for whatever reason. It was shown when Android finished booting, however.
It looks like I will have to reinstall Linux on an old laptop running Android_x86 to give the board another try... :unsure:

I managed today to boot the HDMI_IN image from OrangePi from the SDCard, but I still have to figure out how to install it on the eMMC.
I installed Lubuntu on an old Android_X86 laptop so that I could use Rockchip Linux tools to push the image to the eMMMC, but it failed.
The card was found, but there was an error when uploading the new firmware to the board.

image.thumb.png.4df0388aba4090056bed5518a7b9ae54.png

The HDMI output is flicking...image.thumb.png.f9da881c79636add034fa2187c2e6fcd.png 

IMG_20190430_165550.jpg

I have two stupid questions now:

1. I know the build tools are supposed to work on a Linux X86, but is there anything I can do directly on this board running the OrangePi image that could benefit the Armbian build (get some kernel parts, configuration, whatever)?
  2. Is there any way to get and use the Armbian nand-sata-install on the current install, so that I can now boot from the eMMC and not shorting each time the TP50265 to the ground?

Thanks.

use the Armbian nand-sata-install on the current install

That is what I do all the time, the nand-sata-install is working fine.

Then, if I wish to boot from SDCard, even if U-Boot is start booting from eMMC as priority, I'm stopping it with <spacebar>, then do "mmc list" to see SDCard number, and do "setenv devnum 1" followed with "run mmc_boot", it will then continue booting from SDCard ...

1 minute ago, gounthar said:

I know it's borderline, but could this nand-sata-install be installed and used on an OrangePi Linux image?

I'm not sure to understand : do you mean using nand-sata-install with a Non-Armbian image ?

Probably, with some effort to figure out what nand-sata-install is done on every steps ...