Asus Tinker won't boot

jpno5

I downloaded the tinker nightly image and burned it to an sd card, putting it into the tinker it does nothing, the red light comes on but does nothing, the sd card is decent, and works fine if i write an image to it for a pi, power supply is fine as well,  anyone got any suggestions as to my next steps getting this booted.

Thanks

The power supply that works for the Pi may not be good enough for the Tinker Board, I haven't made any measurement of the power requirements, however I know of a USB cable in my possession that will boot a Pi 3 and not the Tinker Board.  I'm downloading the nightly to double-check, I see some patches , but I don't think those are "live" yet.

[edit]  Ah, I forgot one other small thing:  It resizes the filesystem on first boot.  That can take it a bit, and you won't see HDMI output in the meantime, at least I don't.  I just booted the image gotten from the "nightlies" link on the Tinker Board download page.

I had this problem. I was using an SD card in an SD -> uSD adapter. Worked fine loading the image to the card from my laptop. Worked fine on a pine64 board. Worked fine on a RPi2. Did not work on a Tinkerboard. Bought a new SanDisk Ultra 16Gb and it works fine.

I had a problem with mine in that it would get far enough into the boot that i could see some of the messages on the screen before it rebooted.  I tried different power adapters, but it turned out to be the CABLE!  I had a cable that worked fine on my pi3, but would flake out on the tinker board.

4 hours ago, Gwendolyn Scogin said:

I had a cable that worked fine on my pi3

Nope, those RPi people just spent insane amounts of efforts and time to masquerade their mistake N°1: Using the crappy Micro USB connector for DC-IN. Your RPi 3 was always in under-voltage situations and 'frequency capped' (as the RPi folks call it)

For all those people suffering from boot problems or instability:

• don't buy boards that use Micro USB for DC-IN. Seriously. It's just asking for troubles. Tell the vendor they should replace the crap connector with a good barrel jack on next PCB revision
  • if you burn OS images always follow our 'Getting Started' guide closely (test your SD card first, don't use shitty tools like Win32DiskImager or dd but Etcher instead!)

Further reading: http://tech.scargill.net/a-question-of-lifespan/#comments

On 4/26/2017 at 10:25 AM, tkaiser said:

masquerade their mistake N°1: Using the crappy Micro USB connector for DC-IN.

They sort of fixed it, without telling anyone... There are test points on the bottom of the board for ground and DC-IN. At least there is on the RPi3

If anyone is interested I can take a picture of the ones to use when I get home.

Yeah, I know the points.  The trouble is no one with that much technical know-how would be on here complaining about the issue, they'd just solve it, or never have it because they knew going in.  The people who wind up in trouble because of the micro-USB are the new-to-SBC crowd who don't have the experience to know what it will do.

Hi.

I just got a tinker board and I tried to get it up and running. I followed the instructions from ASUS. I'm using the official Pi PSU (microusb) and a Kingston 32GB card (with an adapter to plug it into my mac). Tried booting it up and nothing happened. No HDMI output.

After a bit of reading I downloaded Armbian and used Etcher to flash the image. It came straight up with a login screen presented after a few seconds. Yay. So FWIW, TinkerOS doesn't seem to boot for me, perhaps because I just used dd to flash the image (old unix fart - I like dd) or something else.

Anyways, it's working now, thanks to you guys.

Cheers.

Hi, all - I'm having the same problem. Kinda relieved to see that it's pretty common.

I'm using a 5.25V 2500muA AC adapter to power my board and trying to run OS 2.0.7 from a SanDisk Ultra Plus 36G micro SD card and getting nothing. I've also tried running OS 1.8 with the same result. I can't get an ssh connection to my computer, so I'm connecting to my TV via HDMI.

I downloaded Armbian like Per Buer recommended but it isn't an .img file and I can't upload it without an ssh connection. I've also tried disconnecting the mouse, keyboard and Ethernet so as not to tax the power supply. I've also let it sit, hoping that it's just thinking really hard on its initial boot-up, but it doesn't respond at all.

The power is more than I need and the card seems to fit the specs.

Any ideas about what else I can try?

1 hour ago, Doug S. said:

I'm using a 5.25V 2500muA AC adapter to power my board

Do you have a voltmeter to make sure it is actually outputting the rated power?  it is not uncommon to get a crappy supply.  As is widely said in many languages:  "Trust, but verify"

downloaded Armbian like Per Buer recommended but it isn't an .img file and I can't upload it without an ssh connection.

It is an img file, use Etcher to write the image to an SD card.

Any ideas about what else I can try?

Is this a Tinker Board or Tinker Board S?

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup

Shows the jumper positions for the Tinkerboard S and some explanation.

5 hours ago, Doug S. said:

I downloaded Armbian like Per Buer recommended but it isn't an .img file and I can't upload it without an ssh connection.

This sounds more than weird. But it sounds like a classic:

SD card and power supply

They are one of the biggest issues you'll face with single board computers - https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-power-supply/

Hi, all - thanks for the input.

I have a regular Tinker Board, not an S. The Armbian Stretch OS I downloaded for Tinker Bord is a .y file, not an .img  and can only be burned with an SSH connection. I got it here:

https://www.armbian.com/tinkerboard/

Is there a different place to get an .img version? Powering the Tinker Board with an AC adapter is going to be best for my project (rather than investing in a third ATX that puts out 5v+ power just for the Tinker Board. Also, I'm afraid of overpowering the board using the jumper pins). Should I look for a different 5.25v 2500 muA adapter or try to find something different?

I don't see where a *.y file is in the download.

image.thumb.png.06aa5b9c0a91bf2b307df598b89826df.png

As far as the supply goes, I would want to verify the output of it before I tried another.  If you have a USB power monitor https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Multimeter-Chargers-Capacity/dp/B071214RD8/

you can see what is happening on the Tinker Board by measuring one of it's USB outputs.

13 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

I don't see where a *.y file is in the download.

image.thumb.png.06aa5b9c0a91bf2b307df598b89826df.png

As far as the supply goes, I would want to verify the output of it before I tried another.  If you have a USB power monitor https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Multimeter-Chargers-Capacity/dp/B071214RD8/

you can see what is happening on the Tinker Board by measuring one of it's USB outputs.

Can you please post a link where I can download the Armbian OS .img? Because all I can find is the .y and a .7z file.

In the mean time, I'll work on getting a USB adapter for my multimeter.

Can you please post a link where I can download the Armbian OS .img? Because all I can find is the .y and a .7z file.
In the mean time, I'll work on getting a USB adapter for my multimeter.
The 7z file is a compressed archive containing the image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk