Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H3 & H5

djhosken

Hi, I am new to Orange Pi, Armbian and this forum. Done lots of Raspberry Pi and other Linux stuff. Can someone tell me if the Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H3 & H5 boards are supported by armbian?

They are available on Aliexpress here(H3) and here(H5).

They are not listed on the download page, but are listed in this post.

Also, if they are supported, is it better choosing the H3 or H5 variant? Seems to me like the H3 might have better software support, and might be the better choice.

2 hours ago, djhosken said:

Seems to me like the H3 might have better software support, and might be the better choice.

Yes, exactly this way.

H5 is operational but still in development.  Get it if you plan to play with it deeply and join R&D, while go for H3 if you plan just to use it ... and perhaps do minor adjustments. We still wait for those boards to come here, than we need to make few minor adjustment, few tests, create an entry in conf+download page ... it's "just" a question of time. :)

20 minutes ago, OLO said:

Thanks a lot,  just find SWAP keep increasing slowly after apache2 started 

Just pay attention and try to debug to see if and where exactly is the problem. Workaround is only a workaround :)

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:

How does the output of 'vmstat' looks like over time?

/$ vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 0  0  76744 315564  50164 474180    0    0     4    37   28   36  1  1 96  2  0

Hi igorpec,
Which Orange Pi is the best computer for an ordinary user,who buys a Orange Pi ,only because it very very cheap is -even cheapest on the board computers world-stil more friends of my,with very old and big computers wants buy a Orange buy,they asks me,because i am the first one with an Orange Pi. Just like me, they wants too use Orange Pi for daily use ,like surfing,work with Libreofice....
Thanks
             Sadegh  

Orange Pi PC+ would be recommendation - for general usage - among those cheap boards.

Note that there is no web acceleration on any of those boards, which means browsing and watching videos within browser is slow / not usable, while normal browsing is satisfactory. LibreOffice working nice and without a problem. 

Check videos on Youtube for better picture how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=armbian

In other words - cheap ARM based board may not be a good replacement for a general purpose desktop system. While it may work fine for some tasks, it may not be suited for other tasks.

Also while the board itself may be cheap, you still need a good power supply and a good SD card (or internal eMMC) to get good performance and stability.

And third thing is the OS - even modern desktop Linux distributions require some generic Linux knowledge and ability to find and process information.

3 hours ago, sadegh said:

Hi igorpec,
Which Orange Pi is the best computer for an ordinary user,who buys a Orange Pi ,only because it very very cheap is -even cheapest on the board computers world-stil more friends of my,with very old and big computers wants buy a Orange buy,they asks me,because i am the first one with an Orange Pi. Just like me, they wants too use Orange Pi for daily use ,like surfing,work with Libreofice....
Thanks
             Sadegh  

arm device better as server. Even orange pi pc could be as desktop computer, but the experience is not cheerful as x86 pc, probably just OK for geeks.  

almost impossible to replace PC by orange pi if not familiar with linux,  Go to chromebook if you are looking for easy and economic solution.

However, that would be a different story if your friends want to "play" arm devices. :)

They just updated the downloads to include a nightly build for the Orange Pi Zero+ H5 and I am testing that right now.  Since I am new, I am not quite sure if I should post my results here, in new topic or just file issues on github.

Thanks.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:06 PM, Larry Bank said:

Any news on the H5 board? Mine is on order and should be here next week. I have been testing the H3 board and can't seem to get the SPI driver loaded into /dev/spidevX.X  - anyone have luck with that?

I too have the same problem. SPI and I2C I don't see in /dev

On 8/17/2017 at 7:34 PM, martinayotte said:

SPI are enabled using "spi-spidev" overlay ...

how we enable spi-spi-dev using overlay 

thankz

The CSI camera on the H3 and H5 appears to work with this module: https://github.com/allwinner-zh/linux-3.4-sunxi/blob/master/drivers/media/video/sunxi-vfe/device/gc2035.c

The Orange Pi Zero 2 H5 with Armbian uses the 4.11 kernel.  This module is for 3.4.  Is there enough change from each kernel version to warrant a change in the driver itself?  How can we ensure that the kernel gets the security updates that it needs, as well as having all of the hardware still work?

Edit: There are people trying to get a lot of these drivers mainlined: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

Seems like the questions are pretty much answered by this page.  Look at the "Status Matrix" section to find if your SoC has support.  I'm going to go ahead and leave this post up so people can find this info.

Edited by skiboy941
Answer to one of the questions

Greetings,

I've not been able to find a clear pinout of this board - can someone help me out?

Does it have I2S?

For the H3, I2S(PCM_SYNC/PCM_CLK/PCM_DOUT/PCM_DIN) is available either on groups  PA18/PA19/PA20/PA21 or PG10/PG11/PG12/PG13 as I understood.

On looking thought the schematics, PA20 is utilised for AP-WAKE-BT, leaving PG10-13. Are these pins actually exposed on the board? I wasn't able to confirm 100% from the schematic where(or if) the connector group 12 is exposed.

13 hours ago, spy king said:

One looking thought the schematics, PA20 is utilised for AP-WAKE-BT, leaving PG10-13. Are these pins actually exposed on the board? I wasn't able to confirm 100% from the schematic where(or if) the connector group 12 is exposed.

It's not "connector group 12", it's "page 12" and I2S pins are connected to the wireless module. In theory it is possible to use I2S for BT audio, but it's not necessary. So in any case pins PG10-PG13 are not exposed on the pin headers and can be safely accessed only by desoldering the wireless module.

5 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

It's not "connector group 12", it's "page 12" and I2S pins are connected to the wireless module. In theory it is possible to use I2S for BT audio, but it's not necessary. So in any case pins PG10-PG13 are not exposed on the pin headers and can be safely accessed only by desoldering the wireless module.

Ah, damn. The search for the "perfect" board continues then. (emmc, WiFi, I2S, cheap :P)

7 minutes ago, spy king said:

Ah, damn. The search for the "perfect" board continues then. (emmc, WiFi, I2S, cheap :P)

Well, in theory it may be possible to solder wires directly to the wireless module (while keeping the BT in reset state so it doesn't interfere with I2S communications) or combine I2S pins from both pin banks (PA and PG). But if you don't want to bother with soldering to tiny pins and want a (relatively) cheap board with Wi-Fi, eMMC and I2S you may as well check the NanoPi Neo AIR - it has Wi-Fi and eMMC and also exposes I2S pins on the pin header.