U-boot tftp retry count exceeded .

olivier

Question

Hello and first off thank you for the great resource of information and downloads. 

I am having problems booting up a fresh image on my cubox i 4 pro.

The last time i installed an Armbian Image was in 2014 when i got this wonderful little machine and while trying upgrading my own cloud to next cloud i got a bad big block so i thought lets put a fresh image on and now its been 2 days of time outs.

The Solidrun logo comes up and then i see that it can't find any images, well i have pictures so there it is.

I used etcher to make the sd card.

I used the official sd card formatter.

New SD card is 32 GB transcend 10 speed.

In my router the cubox is always appointed the same ip address.

I do not understand what is happening, i will try turning off any port forwarding in my router maybe tat will stop the timeouts ?

Does anyone else encounter this ?

Kind regards Oliver.

IMG_6389.thumb.jpg.ec87c26f39eaaed1cc0a24af23c26683.jpgIMG_6388.thumb.jpg.af4ada2b0e0900421645995625bc9bcc.jpg

9 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, olivier said:

I am having problems booting up a fresh image on my cubox i 4 pro

Your device is not properly recognised by u-boot (which we use stock from Solidrun) so you will need to edit boot script and set correct DTB manually ... which is imx6q-cubox-i.dtb in your case. Put setenv fdt_file "imx6q-cubox-i.dtb" to /boot/boot.cmd and recompile to /boot/boot.scr ... double check if this file exists - it has proper naming in: /boot/dtb/ 

Thank you for your quick answer, i have no idea how to do what you just said. Time to learn.........

I will google what you answered and i will get there eventually but can you tell me if i have to do the recompiling on a separate computer or can i do it in the U-boot screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I downloaded Armbian_5.20_Cubox-i_Debian_jessie_4.7.3 and that one boots fine. Will work my way up the list to see what works and then update the system from that point.

I figured since the U-boot shows (feb 02 2017) as i assume the build date i needed at least an image from before February this year.

Again thank you for your great work.

update: Armbian_5.24_Cubox-i_Debian_jessie_next_4.9.5 doesn't work.

Edited by olivier

There are three kernels (two "legacy" 3.14 and mainline) for those boards (cubox, hummingboard 1 and 2, ...) while none is perfect ... Your board is directly supported (have it's own board configuration) only in Solidrun development kernel, which we don't use due to problems with PCI stack. Well, it's possible to build an image with that kernel, but we don't provide downloads and/or support. I don't use that kernel in any way.

I would advise you to go for 4.9.5 -> can be upgraded to 4.10.9, but there you will also need to force loading DTB to make this board boot. I'll try to make this process simpler in the future or make a separate DTB files for all those "new" boards, which might need special treatment. But it's some work and I don't have any of this hardware to make a test.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:35 AM, Igor said:

Your device is not properly recognised by u-boot (which we use stock from Solidrun) so you will need to edit boot script and set correct DTB manually ... which is imx6q-cubox-i.dtb in your case. Put setenv fdt_file "imx6q-cubox-i.dtb" to /boot/boot.cmd and recompile to /boot/boot.scr ... double check if this file exists - it has proper naming in: /boot/dtb/ 

Found "imx6q-cubox-i.dtb" in the dtb directory. Boot.cmd is there, found it by trying nano /boot/boot.cmd. I see it also contains the recompile command as comments, nice.

I pasted the setenv fdt_file "imx6q-cubox-i.dtb" line in after autodetect including parentheses.

run autodetectfdt
setenv fdt_file "imx6q-cubox-i.dtb"
setenv ramdisk_addr 0x14800000

I will try recompile and see what it does.

WOOHOO it worked, rebooted then restarted then powered down waited 10 seconds and powered up and i could login just fine. All the information i needed is in your first answer. Actually i find as a copy/paster the process is already pretty simple. Thanks man.

58ec9f7d8b4d6_ScreenShot2017-04-11at11_17_29.png.5cb1d730be3992af77d1e29cc159d545.png

So I tried a reinstall and the recompile is not working anymore. I am getting:

mkimage: Can't stat /boot/boot.cmd: No such file or directory

I am running the command while in the root of the sd card on which the image is etched.

Tried it with Armbian_5.30_Cubox-i_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.11.4 will try your advise of going for 4.9.5.

Any idea what i am missing ?