armbian-config

Igor

On 4. 4. 2017 at 10:28 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

(i.e. with mainline u-boot environment can be edited from the OS using fw_setenv)

I am puzzled with calculating offset. I found some parameters, which looks properly calculated, but it looks like it doesn't write to the right place, since u-boot stuck at prompt.

/etc/fw_env.config

# Device to access      offset          env size
/dev/mmcblk0            0x88000         0x20000

This is a bit old but numbers looks alright ? https://blog.night-shade.org.uk/2014/01/fw_printenv-config-for-allwinner-devices/

http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SD_card#SD_Card_Layout 

ls /tmp/armbianmonitor_checks_* >/dev/null 2>&1 || return
        for file in /tmp/armbianmonitor_checks_* ; do
                echo -e "\n### \c"
                ls "${file}" | cut -f1 -d.
                echo
                cat "${file}"
        done

Just a thought. At the end of CollectSupportInfo function in armbianmonitor there is the code above (no idea why it's there, I hate this interactive forum crap more and more). So maybe throwing debug info of the various armbian-config modules in append mode there so users can be asked to submit output from 'armbianmonitor -u' in case things don't work as expected (eg. me trying out AP mode with RTL8812 but failing)?

I didn't went further with diagnostic part, since the core of this tool, basics what I wanted to achieve, is getting ready and now I am running it over and over again to find troubles. The main problem regarding enabling AP is that hostapd at regular repository is missing config file, while this is fixed in beta. That means if you don't switch to beta, this detection is broken for all standard wireless chips. Next it would be good to print out some debug info when detection fails in both cases ... but on the other hand if hostapd with most primitive settings doesn't work, than there is nothing we can do. If wireless is not detected, you should not get here anyway. 

37 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

I hate this interactive forum

I am on IRC always, when I am in the office :)

13 minutes ago, Igor said:

I am on IRC always, when I am in the office

I know but was referring to formatting issues when writing here. Eg. try to post somthing with code inside spoiler tags. Since the forum upgrade the 'code tag' and linefeeds get ignored and I always end up re-editing my posts due to this 'improvement' (you're not responsible for -- i know. But the forum upgrade made it harder to share stuff here)

21 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

try to post somthing with code inside spoiler tags

If I do that to clean post, eg. SPOILER -> INSERT code, than it works. If there is anything else, than I can't add code. Well, I'll check their forums or file an support ticket.

What about to move armbian-config here:
https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/update-motd.d/40-updates#L20

elif [ -f "/usr/bin/armbian-config" ]; then
        echo -e "[\e[31m General system configuration\e[0m: \e[1marmbian-config\e[0m ]\n"
fi

Showing it once is almost the same as not showing it at all.

On 6. 5. 2017 at 2:20 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

It would be good to add 2 new features in the future:

• enable or disable MOTD scripts (individually)
  • freeze or unfreeze kernel and board support packages (`apt-mark hold`)

This is also done. I think we have enough features for upcoming update. I did few tests - works fine, while time will tell if there are still bugs. I'll try to do some code cleanup & optimisations ...

Did anyone try overlayfs feature recently?

In the latest nightlies, when I enable overlayfs on my Orange Pi Zero it works as expected, when I try to disable overlayfs again, the Zero does not boot up anymore.

7 hours ago, d1dd1 said:

Did anyone try overlayfs feature recently?

In the latest nightlies, when I enable overlayfs on my Orange Pi Zero it works as expected, when I try to disable overlayfs again, the Zero does not boot up anymore.

It used to work, so this looks like a bug and need to be inspected.

I thought armbian-config was going to be useable with the last update that went out?
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.2 kernel but is not available after installation. Do I still need to manually install using above git commands?
Any idea when this will be included in the mainline?

I'm running off NanoPiNeoAir, btw.

12 hours ago, StuxNet said:

I thought armbian-config was going to be useable with the last update that went out?

Update hasn't been pushed out yet - too much problems and too little time. 

• MacBreaker changed the title to armbiarmbian-configan-config

I see that the armbian-config update rolled out. Awesome work. Thanks.

I immediately tested the hotspot feature on an NanoPi NeoAir and it half way works. The 'Armbian' SSID is visible however I tried connecting with half a dozen devices using the default password and nothing ever connects. 
This is actually a mild relief since after hours of trying to get it to work manually using modprobe dhd and the like (before the armbian-config update) I experienced the same exact issue. Perhaps a DHCP leasing thing?

Anyways, not looking for a fix, I appreciate a CLI GUI at all. Just thought yall might like to know I couldn't get it to work. One more insiginificant thing you can put on the gigantic TODO list. ;)

• Igor unpinned this topic

I fixed many troubles in the meantime (ofc not all), but what started to bother me is UX. The menu is getting larger and we will for sure find new things worth adding. I seek ideas how to create a future proof menu structure now. If you are not running latest beta, check this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zw9KlB56tA

Ideas, how to organise items/functions the most meaningful way, are welcome!

First things that come to mind:

- "networking" submenu with options like WiFI, Hotspot, NetworkManager (just to call nmtui), etc.

- "software" submenu for Softy, USB redirector, installing a desktop environment, installing headers, etc.

- "tweaks" submenu for things like editing armbianEnv.txt, changing timezone, changing locale, etc. Alternatively 2 submenus instead - "system settings" for locale, timezone and other generic Debian/Ubuntu stuff and "tweaks" for Armbian-specific stuff (overlays, MOTD, loglevel)

Also current "debian-config" is 70 lines short from being a 1000 lines long. At this point it could use a refactoring, at least splitting stuff into functions and splitting functions into different files.

@Igor

Please add/move temper installation to armbian-config, this will allow cleaning up the armbian-tools package and removing development related packages from images by default.

As a result it would be good to have an installation option in armbian-config for "Base development tools" thst should install the "build-essential" package.

6 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

As a result it would be good to have an installation option in armbian-config for "Base development tools" thst should install the "build-essential" package.

Added. From my perspective, we can ditch temper.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, thanh_tan said:

I have install ISPCOnfig and PHPMyadmin on Armbian but it doesn't work, i can access even on HTTP 

Now i want to remove it, how to remove it?

I tried to go into Armbian-config, uncheck ISPConfig then OK but nothing happends

It can be installed only on a clean Debian/Ubuntu image. Not just on Armbian. If you want to install this on top of some already installed software, OMV for example, this will 100% fail. Since you didn't provide any details what and where things went wrong we can't improve installer part (if the problem is there at all), which worked fine for me two weeks ago. 

It was hard to build this installer. I did one big part, while the other is 3rd party. It took years that process matured on a moving targets. It is very expensive to maintain all this which means there is almost no way that the same will be done for the uninstalling part. This suite is quite complex and its business support can be obtained here

It is part of the config because I am using it for my own purposes.

We LOVE Armbian-config at the Tech-Party! Everything seems to work so far at all of our installation demos. Armbian-config makes us look like we know what we're doing ;]

So far we've had good luck with ISPConfig on a clearfog pro and an HC1. We have one quasi production server (HC1) running out of a restaurant that gives us meeting space.

One thing I would love to see in Armbian-config is something to set up a 4g connection.

• Igor unlocked this topic

We are fixing an issue with network settings related features of armbian-config ... since I am and will be out office for some time I can't assist much for coding/debugging. Help to move things highly appropriated. (also when not on vacations) :rolleyes: 

https://github.com/armbian/config/issues/53#issuecomment-509894506

I'm sure you will prevail. Timing is perfect, we're about to test some low speed unlimited accounts we found cheap.

Is there a matix somewhere that shows the relationship of board / build / armbian-config entries? For instance rdp server isn't available under softy on the same setup as a system that offers ispconfig.

1 hour ago, Technicavolous said:

Is there a matix somewhere that shows the relationship of board / build / armbian-config entries?

There is (should not be) hardware dependency but we do have release dependency, which is below in this document.

1 hour ago, Technicavolous said:

For instance rdp server isn't available under softy on the same setup as a system that offers ispconfig.

That should be ... strange. But co-existence between large suites such as ISPConfig, OMV, ... was never meant to be operational and only one application at one time is tested. It's way too complicated problem -  and IMO pointless. We have (Docker) containers that we don't need to waste time solving this mess.

4G connection setup exists, but (example) is limited to some predefined hardware. 

Oh yes one at a time! I was just trying to figure out what to expect in which release, the link definitely helps. Thanks!

The Tech-Party has better than a dozen different Armbian supported boards so they were trying to figure out in what conditions on which board various configurations were available.

I looked at that info on the 4g. I get lost in how to form the udev rules. I have a couple of 4g modems and sims that work on other hardware and os that I can't make go on my clearfog pro on any os including Armbian. With your armbian-config utility being so awesome, I dreamed of that being applied to a 4g setup ;]

THANK YOU for amrbian-config!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.