Orange Pi Zero not resizing on first boot

pfeerick

Apologies if this is documented/reported somewhere else, but I can't see anything on a quick forum search. 

I received two Orange Pi Zeros this morning, and eagerly downloaded the Orange Pi Zero flavour of Armbian (Xenial Legacy) and loaded it up on a good 8GB microSD. I then started using it, updating it, and suddenly realised that it only had a 1.4GB partition when it failed to finish updating due to insufficient space. I thought since I'd had some issues logging into it that I might have interrupted the first boot resize, so I re-imaged it, and loaded it up, left if five minutes, and then logged. No cigar... says it is still 1.4GB (1.4GB size, 1.2GB used, 201MB free on /dev/mmcblk0p1). On a whim, I then rebooted it, and now it says  /dev/mmcblk0p1  7.2G size  1.2G used  6.0G free... so does 5.25 on the orange pi zero resize the fs on the first REBOOT, not first boot? Or is this new behaviour across the board?

And something else which I think may be related... the welcome banner updates message is indicating [ 5 updates to install: apt-get upgrade ], whereas I know if I run apt-get update and reboot that it will change to [ 5 updates to install: apt-get upgrade ]...  actually, one even better yet, it still says five updates to install after the reboot, but when I run apt-get update it wants to update 49 packages... so the background update check doesn't appear to be happening or even updating properly. Coincidence, configured differently to my other boards running Armbian, broken, or am I just being impatient?

1 minute ago, pfeerick said:

On a whim, I then rebooted it, and now it says  /dev/mmcblk0p1  7.2G size  1.2G used  6.0G free... so does 5.25 on the orange pi zero resize the fs on the first REBOOT, not first boot? Or is this new behaviour across the board?

New images are not rebooted automatically, but a prompt to reboot "as soon as possible" appears (if required - so should be only on the legacy kernel images) after the first login.

3 minutes ago, pfeerick said:

And something else which I think may be related... the welcome banner updates message is indicating [ 5 updates to install: apt-get upgrade ], whereas I know if I run apt-get update and reboot that it will change to [ 5 updates to install: apt-get upgrade ]... so the background update check doesn't appear to be happening. Coincidence, configured differently to my other boards running Armbian, or am I just being impatient?

I believe MOTD is cached so it won't be updated on every login, and in addition update checking logic will be changed in the new release. If it doesn't ahange after the reboot is definitely a bug, but we'll see if it will be reproduced with new logic.

When did that change? I remember my pine64 and cubietruck doing an automatic reboot after running up the microSD for the first time, and the general documentation for Armbian still says (under common features): 

First boot takes longer (up to few minutes) than usual (20s) because it updates package list, regenerates SSH keys and expand partition to fit your SD card. It might reboot one time automatically.

Although, as you say, it did say it on the Orange Pi when it booted (as I re-imaged it again to check)... I just hadn't seen that before, and it didn't stand out as it wasn't a different colour or anything.

Warning: a reboot is needed to finish resizing the filesystem
Please reboot the system as soon as possible

3 minutes ago, pfeerick said:

When did that change? I remember my pine64 and cubietruck doing an automatic reboot after running up the microSD for the first time, and the general documentation for Armbian still says (under common features)

~ 3 months ago according to the git history. Documentation needs to be updated, it's hard to keep track of all changes.

4 minutes ago, pfeerick said:

I just hadn't seen that before, and it didn't stand out as it wasn't a different colour or anything.

It should be in red color unless terminal type settings are wrong again for some reason and colors in MOTD are not displayed correctly.

lol... indeed! Fair enough, as long as its supposed to do that. ;) Just was just expecting the automatic reboot and resize and It didn't happen, so I was about to report that it didn't work... but then I rebooted and realised it had resized. 3 months... so probably 5.25? Makes sense, as I think my other installs were 5.24, and they just auto rebooted. 

Colour is probably my fault... xterm instead of xterm-256colorr... although the toilet fancy board name colours were present.  

Edit: yup, that was it... 256 colour triggered the banner and reboot warning colour... that was all white, but I didn't think anything of it as the board name was in colour.

armbian_525_orangepizero.PNG