[Odroid XU4] Compiled armbian to eMMC

asterisk-user

Hi All!

I was wondering if there is a proper way to deploy a freshly built armbian for Odroid XU4 on an eMMC?

Unfortunately, the SD-Card version doesn't seem to work with the eMMC.

After searching for this topic I couldn't find anythin in particular related to Odroid.

Thanks,

Viktor

Hi zador.blook.stained,

thanks for the quick reply.

You have to update the u-boot on eMMC manually (by booting from SD and either copying it from u-boot prompt or flashing from the OS)

I had a read through the other post and I'm not completely sure that I've understood this issue.

Just to summarise the issue: Since armbian moved form FAT as the boot partition the u-boot process is broken even for the official armbian image. From now on the u-boot files have to be manually copied over to eMMC via UART. Is that correct?

The u-boot partition can't be updated on an external PC because the files have to be some sort of signed in order to get booted properly?

Thanks,

Viktor

1 hour ago, asterisk-user said:

Just to summarise the issue: Since armbian moved form FAT as the boot partition the u-boot process is broken even for the official armbian image. From now on the u-boot files have to be manually copied over to eMMC via UART. Is that correct?

Yes. Also it may be possible to copy it from a running OS but it needs further investigation, and I don't own this board to properly test and implement this i.e. to the nand-sata-install script.

1 hour ago, asterisk-user said:

The u-boot partition can't be updated on an external PC because the files have to be some sort of signed in order to get booted properly?

XU4 (compared to other SoCs) loads u-boot from a special eMMC boot partition which is not visible if you plug the eMMC to a SD card reader. It's not related to signing but to a default (precompiled) u-boot environment.

Hi zador and asterisk-user,

I'm running armbian OS (openmediavault 3.76 is actualy made on armbian-5.27).

I had difficulties and after search a long time, i find a solution.

You need to go on americandroid web site for find: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6173

They explain all (i will not explain again and bad what they explain allready good), just read it and do it.

After doing this, i do install OS image with command dd (the easy way) and don't forget to execute command sync at the end.

That works fine directly on this way.

I know this is a old topic, but in case someone else is searching. I used nand-sata-install to copy the OS from a SD card to the eMMC. Worked fine the first time. No problems.

root@odroidxu4:/etc# cat armbian-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=odroidxu4
BOARD_NAME="Odroid XU4"
VERSION=5.33.171003
LINUXFAMILY=odroidxu4
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=nightly
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=zImage