stability of Armbian/Orange Pi Zero?

onsmike

Greetings,

I recently purchased an Orange Pi Zero for the purpose of Pi-Hole. I have been running Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi-1 under Jessie and the stability was great. I never had to worry about it.

However, with Orange Pi Zero, running Armbian/Jessie as well, I get a maximum of 2 days of up-time.  This is a standard armbian/jessie installation with only pi-hole installed. Since there is no video output (I did not purchase the extension board), I had to perform a power-off/on.

Without ruling out the possibility of hardware fault (SD card or USB power supply), does anyone have stability problem of Armbian/Jessie on Orange Pi Zero?

I'll attempt to use a different (newer) SD card and USB Power. Any thoughts on what might cause the problem is very appreciated,

1 hour ago, onsmike said:

Without ruling out the possibility of hardware fault (SD card or USB power supply), does anyone have stability problem of Armbian/Jessie on Orange Pi Zero?

What is your "stability problem" exactly? Can't reach the board via SSH after 1-2 days? Are you using Ethernet or wireless connecton?

I heard about such issues when board looses its DHCP lease and doesn't renew it for some reason, but this needs further investigation via the serial console shell.

Thanks to both of you who responded. My problem is that I cannot reach the armbien/orange pi zero via both ssh nor the webinterface (pi hole).  I am using wired ethernet with DHCP, though it is static-DHCP so it always get the same private address.

Given I have no video-output option, I have no way to confirm if it is indeed down or a DHCP lease issue.

I am using a cell-phone charger (Microsoft/Nokia) as the PSU; the usb cable is part of the charger (i.e. not a separate cable).  For the time-being, I am debugging by replacing the SD card but keeping the usb charger. The SD card I am using right now is a 8gb ADATA class-10 microsd.

will report back in a few days,

5 minutes ago, onsmike said:

Given I have no video-output option, I have no way to confirm if it is indeed down or a DHCP lease issue.

sudo armbianmonitor -r --> http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/17/rpi-monitor-is-a-web-based-remote-monitor-for-arm-development-boards-such-as-raspberry-pi-and-orange-pi/

I never had any stability problems with Zero but I neither use a phone charger nor no name SD cards :)

1 hour ago, onsmike said:

I am using a cell-phone charger (Microsoft/Nokia) as the PSU; the usb cable is part of the charger (i.e. not a separate cable).

You are asking for troubles and wasting time by using this kind of PSU. Here you have to do something ... 

just a quick update. I've been using the same Microsoft/Nokia phone charger but changed the SD card to an 8gig ADATA class-10 microsd card and the system has been stable for the past 7-days.  In the meantime, the usb PSU I ordered from Microsoft (the original 2.5A psu for RPI3) has arrived, which I'll be testing next.

I have used my zero, for RFID reading, noticed only one restart (unknown reason for me, since it is connected thru UPS), but since I develop, maximum uptime was 2 days so far. When stop restarting it gonna post results here. In other hand, my PC plus, was uptime of 10 days and when I decided to reboot it, it stop responding (blinking green led)., Armbian, debian jessie with legacy kernel.

On 21.4.2017 at 5:04 PM, onsmike said:

My problem is that I cannot reach the armbien/orange pi zero via both ssh nor the webinterface (pi hole).  I am using wired ethernet with DHCP, though it is static-DHCP so it always get the same private address.

Reach by domain name and/or IP address?