Espressobin support development efforts

lanefu

22 minutes ago, y52 said:

I wish I knew all the facts above regarding the mainline/vendor kernels before I've set up the system.

I wonder if the move could be done without making a new installation.

Kernel changing is super simple. Go to armbian-config -> system -> "Switch to alternative kernels". Switching between default and next should be safe, but it was not tested yet on all variants and it's good that you didn't make any changes to the boot scripts.

7 minutes ago, Igor said:

Go to armbian-config -> system -> "Switch to alternative kernels". Switching between default and next should be safe

I've just tried, but was unable to switch. The options below could not be chosen:

-Upgrade from default to:--------+
                                              | +----------------------------------+ |
                                              | |              dev                 | |
                                              | |              next       

+-------------- Info ----------------+
                                               |                                    |
                                               | No alternative kernels available!  |

Does any other method exist ?

The current kernel is Linux  4.4.131-mvebu64 #6 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 10

5 hours ago, y52 said:

Which board version is the "armada-3720-community.dtb" intended for?

My v.5_0 board stucks shortly after OS booting with this DTB .  

It works stable with another one "armada-3720-community-v5.dtb", provided by GlobalScale. It's a bit troublesome.

I've just flashed the U-boot with the 10-03-2018 update:

WTMI-armada-17.10.5-34ce216
WTMI: system early-init
SVC REV: 3, CPU VDD voltage: 1.155V

DLL 0xc0001074NOTICE:  Booting Trusted Firmware
NOTICE:  BL1: v1.3(release):armada-17.10.8:34247e0
NOTICE:  BL1: Built : 16:46:34, May 10 2NOTICE:  BL2: v1.3(release):armada-17.10.8:34247e0
NOTICE:  BL2: Built : 16:46:34, May 10 2018
NNOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(release):armada-17.10.8:34247e0
NOTICE:  BL31:

U-Boot 2017.03-armada-17.10.3-g06ad760-armbian (May 10 2018 - 16:45:48 +0200)

Model: Marvell Armada 3720 Community Board ESPRESSOBin
       CPU    @ 1000 [MHz]
       L2     @ 800 [MHz]
       TClock @ 200 [MHz]
       DDR    @ 800 [MHz]
DRAM:  2 GiB
U-Boot DT blob at : 000000007f7182d8

I've tried booting with the DTB from the Armbian_5.44_Espressobin_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.131.img build.

It results in a recurring kernel panic shortly after OS booting

May 13 23:07:48 espresso charon[618]: 05[IKE] received AUTH_LIFETIME of 9793s, scheduling reauthentication in 9253s
May 13 23:07:48 espresso charon[618]: 05[IKE] peer supports MOBIKE
May 13 23:07:48 espresso CRON[567]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

May 13 23:07:52 espresso sshd[1097]: Connection closed by 173.255.252.235 port 10248 [preauth]

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 13 23:07:55 ...
 kernel:[   46.161271] Internal error: Oops - bad mode: 0 [#1] PREEMPT SMP

kernel:[   46.345147] Process kworker/1:1 (pid: 32, stack limit = 0xffffffc078360020)

kernel:[   46.351986] Stack: (0xffffffc078363cb0 to 0xffffffc078364000)

kernel:[   46.568946] 3fe0: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 5555555555555555 5555555555555555

kernel:[   46.576598] Call trace:

kernel:[   46.612131] Code: 3607ff80 f9403741 f944cf82 8b0102a1 (eb01005f) 

Rolling back in boot.cmd to  " armada-3720-community-v5.dtb " turns the system stable again.

# DTB submitted by GlobalScaleTech. Stable.
setenv fdt_name_a boot/dtb-4.4.112-mvebu64/marvell/armada-3720-community-v5.dtb
#setenv fdt_name_a boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-community-v5.dtb
# DTB submitted by Armbian. Unstable.
#setenv fdt_name_a boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-community.dtb

It would be worth looking at the DTB supplied with the Armian, as it contributed a lot to system crashes many members are reporting here.

7 hours ago, y52 said:

t would be worth looking at the DTB supplied with the Armian, as it contributed a lot to system crashes many members are reporting here.

Armbian doesn't provide a kernel that is long time deprecated. We use the latest and there https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/linux-marvell.git branch linux-4.4.52-armada-17.10 ... there is only one DTB file which works. As is. We recommend using 4.14.y kernel and not (lower quality) factory kernel.

10 hours ago, tom_i said:

Do you have same problem like mine?

https://github.com/armbian/config/issues/21

Can't replicate on the latest build. I download default 4.4.y, switch to NEXT 4.14.y and back to 4.4.y Working as expected, logs: http://ix.io/1agA

This menu can be missing if you froze kernel upgrades, severely change the system or in case of network failure.

@Igor so you suggest to reinstall whole system if I want dev kernel? Or can I change repo list manually?

And I'm not sure that I froze that kernel upgrades. Armbian-config provides me option to freeze it, so I think that it's turned off,  or is it some way how to check it different way?

50 minutes ago, tom_i said:

so you suggest to reinstall whole system if I want dev kernel? Or can I change repo list manually?

Do apt update and upgrade. I added a new version of armbian-config to the stable repository ... try once again @y52 might have the same problem.

I've updated the armbian-config package. It seems to be working now, allowing to switch to the

linux-image-next-mvebu64 

Will the other applications (bind9, dhcp, iptables etc) dependencies be effected with this switch?

Could you also suggest if I'll need to preserve the "usbstoragequirks" setting value after the switch to linux-image-next-mvebu64 ?

My current one is: 

root@espresso:/boot# cat /boot/armbianEnv.txt

usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

However, your test installation runs at 800MHz, while my board runs at 1000MHz. I fear that the DTB file, supplied with this build, will turn the board unstable and unsuitable at 1000MHz.

This is very unfortunate, that I was unable achieving 1200MHz, despite the GlobalScaleTech  board  vendor specifications claims.

Is that the "boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb" , which should be used with the linux-image-next-mvebu64  ?

I shall backup the board before committing the switch.

5 hours ago, y52 said:

This is very unfortunate, that I was unable achieving 1200MHz, despite the GlobalScaleTech  board  vendor specifications claims.

RMA your device.

5 hours ago, y52 said:

Is that the "boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb" , which should be used with the linux-image-next-mvebu64  ?

The EspressoBin download page tells you what you need to put into u-boot...

9 minutes ago, ebin-dev said:

RMA your device

I did. GlobalScale turned a deaf ear. They do not respond now.

11 minutes ago, ebin-dev said:

The EspressoBin download page tells you what you need to put into u-boot...

No. This page doesn't contain the .dtb choice. It just points to the boot/boot.scr, where the choice is made.

It is somewhat arbitrary, depending on the board version and the kernel branch. This is what I am trying to find out.

We got some nice high powered mPCIE wifi boards that came up in EspressoBin without a problem

but it seems that the board randomly reboots (no crash or anything) 
Assuming its power we tried putting in a 3amp power supply to it with no luck

Seems it gets a bit stable when setting the TXPower down to ~15 (had to do it using regulatory database because txpower wouldn't work?!?!!?) but if i run it for a prolonged time ( 2-3 mins ) it will reboot again.

Any thoughts what this could be? Is there a amp limit on the EspressoBin?

3 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

We got some nice high powered

3 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

Any thoughts what this could be?

High powered mPCI cards are usually powered externally.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

High powered mPCI cards are usually powered externally.

Maybe "high powered" was the wrong word as the card does not have any option to be powered externally.  

It does work in other scenarios.

is it possible to "hack" external power onto a mcpei board?

Just now, darkdrgn2k said:

is it possible to "hack" external power onto a mcpei board?

I suspect Espressobin is not be designed for such power draw. Perhaps not even to the mPCI standards? Hardware hack must be possible somehow.

We are currently running the assumption that the espresso is under powered for this board (sad)

looking at possibly the clear fog ( as there does not seem to be an abundance of mpcie enabled boards)

the new clearfog-gt-8k seems to have less "junk" that the Pro has but i assume it will take time for amrbian to support it?

https://www.solid-run.com/marvell-armada-family/clearfog-gt-8k/

2 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

the new clearfog-gt-8k seems to have less "junk" that the Pro has but i assume it will take time for amrbian to support it?

If somebody pays for R&D expenses, we can hire some help and proceed on this route. So far there was little to no interest and with current extremely limited resources this is virtually impossible. And stupid.

14 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

We are currently running the assumption that the espresso is under powered for this board (sad)

Most likely but there is no warranty that this is not the same with Clearfog. I don't have any high power gears around. Only normal consumer grade cards and they work everywhere.

Most likely but there is no warranty that this is not the same with Clearfog. 

Yep very true! 

So far there was little to no interest and with current extremely limited resources this is virtually impossible. And stupid. 

Understood. 

I don't have any high power gears around. Only normal consumer grade cards and they work everywhere. 

The board in question is build for the LibraRouter project.  So far the test I seen the tests are incredible! $35 for board + 12dbi directional antenna! If you would like next time we order some i can send you one or two to play with.  

I don't think it pulls the same amount as a Graphic Card would though:P And the team developing it had no problems so far but ill reach out to them and see :)

Also any idea why my other mPcie board (the apple one) boots fine (doesn't give a product id of abcd) in stable but No where else (not nightly not espresso bin stock nothing.)

57 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

If it is powering related, it may be possible to solve this either with soldering, buying a miniPCIe-PCIe and PCIe-miniPCIe adapters (edit: or a miniPCIe extender + soldering to give the card external power) with external power support or designing and manufacturing a custom adapter board.

It also could be power filtering related, or EMI (with Espressobin non-power circuits) related.

57 minutes ago, darkdrgn2k said:

https://www.solid-run.com/marvell-armada-family/clearfog-gt-8k/

Software development, testing and support takes more than just time. The cheapest variant of GT 8K costs $200+, not including shipping cost.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, y52 said:

I've updated the armbian-config package. It seems to be working now, allowing to switch to the

linux-image-next-mvebu64 

Will the other applications (bind9, dhcp, iptables etc) dependencies be effected with this switch?

Could you also suggest if I'll need to preserve the "usbstoragequirks" setting value after the switch to linux-image-next-mvebu64 ?

My current one is: 

root@espresso:/boot# cat /boot/armbianEnv.txt

usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

However, your test installation runs at 800MHz, while my board runs at 1000MHz. I fear that the DTB file, supplied with this build, will turn the board unstable and unsuitable at 1000MHz.

I shall backup the board before committing the switch.

Strange, I don't have it. Or `armbian-config` has been updated today for me, but there is no change for me. Or maybe I need to reboot it, because, it should be only reason, why I not see that `next` kernel in `armbian-config` - `Systtem` menu :(

1 minute ago, tom_i said:

Strange, I don't have it. Or `armbian-config` has been updated today for me, but there is no change for me.

Try the space button. Switch options may not be visible in a text terminal.

2 minutes ago, tom_i said:

maybe I need to reboot

No, It works without reboot. 

Nn, I'm using ssh over `tilda` linux terminal manager, but if I've tried `konsole`, result is same. I see whole menu there, so no gaps or hidden menu for me :-/

Maybe just one solution should be to install completely new image on my SSD :-/

39 minutes ago, tom_i said:

You meant 'spacebar' key? It doesn't help, it normal enter to ther `Stable` menu.

Maybe I have it somehow "broken" or so.. :-/

Provide armbianmonitor -u and we might get some clues.

I was able to switch from my  kernel 4.4.y to a mainline one using the ARMBIAN 5.44 config : 

Linux espresso 4.14.40-mvebu64 #47 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 10 16:17:01 CEST 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

What is more important for me, is that the regular DTB files are loaded, rather than the vendor's one, from boot.scr:

root@espresso:/boot# ls -al /boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8369 May 10 16:17 /boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-db.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7952 May 10 16:17 /boot/dtb/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb

For a moment, the system is running at 1000MHZ as previously. I keep an eye on it.

Will the board run stable at 1200MHZ and will it not stuck again? 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:18 AM, Igor said:

I've noticed, another improvement "thermal: armada: Add support for overheat interrupt indication".

Does the mainline kernel allow for the CPU temperature surveillance?

armbianmonitor -m doesn't show any temperature at all.