OrangePi - ubuntu desktop - KODI (XBMC)

Branislav Poldauf

Hello,

I own OrangePI board and want to repurpose it as mediacenter and computer conected to TV

however multimediacenter distributions as OSMC, OpenELEC dont support OrangePi, so i decided to use ubuntu desktop enviroment from ARMBIAN

according to download page it should support some level of HW acceleration for video playback

So my question is - would I be able to install KODI (formerly XBMC) and use it on ubutnu desktop enviroment with working video acceleration within KODI (similar to RaspberryPi and OSMC or OpenELEC) ??

Or is there any other way to use KODI on OrangePi ? Maybe on android designed for OrangePi ?

Tkanks for answers

Hi, if you want install KODI, OpenELEC or OSMC I recommend you buy supported hardware. If you have OrangePi with H3 do to wait and sell it now because you can wait ages for drivers. I used old Raspberry Pi (256MB ram, 1 USB only + external usb hub and proper usb wifi dongle) and OpenELEC. This old hw had not problem with 15gb mkv video files. Video playback was smooth except moving in menu. So you can go in Raspberry 2 because it has 3 more cpu cores and it should solve lagging while you are in menu or if you want to watch youtube. But if you want to watch videos in h265 codec there is lot of Android boxes all in one with XBMC mediacenter preloaded and it can be option for you if you prefer just plug and play.