Quick Pinebook Preview / Review

tkaiser

I did a quick test with 2A charge rate in shutdown. I had the back of the case and the heatsink off so I could attach the probe, so it won't entirely reflect normal usage, but the pmic stabilised at just under 40C, with the battery at about 25. This was with the battery at 20% capacity, so the PMIC should be delivering most of the target current. I'm fairly happy with that rate/temperature compromise, so I don't think I'll try and push it any harder.

Some more infos around the 11 inch model (should be back in production, display sourcing problem is solved,  but afaik DRAM prices are too high to start production...) and a new variant will be released at FOSDEM as far as I understand Tl Lim...

4 hours ago, Xalius said:

Some more infos around the 11 inch model (should be back in production, display sourcing problem is solved,  but afaik DRAM prices are too high to start production...) and a new variant will be released at FOSDEM as far as I understand Tl Lim...

Maybe they could introduce 1G model for entry price or remove eMMC to keep the price down.

Outside of the PineBook and the RPi based items...

ChromeOS - Samsung Chromebook Plus (1st gen) and Acer R13 (CB5-312T-K5X4) support Crostini (Linux KVM as guest OS running Debian) and Android's Google Play Store... both of these are ARM based, and there are other ARM chromebooks that might also be useful...

@hojnikb I put a Libre Computer Le Potato in a Pi-Top v2 laptop running Armbian and it works pretty good.  I had to modify the special bridge heatsink combo by removing the heatsink meant for a Raspberry Pi and just using the Libre stock heatsink for the Le Potato only problem is no eMMC yet.  This setup stayed full clock speed for hours running stress -c 4 so cooling looks good.

I'm also trying a similar stunt with a Tinkerboard S but cooling is still an issue with it throttling clock speed after about 10 minutes.

Armbian doesn't seem to like the V1 hubs in the CEED or V1 laptop

On 6/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

Regarding backlight control issues:

Jun 06 15:41:31 pinebook pkexec[3562]: zador: Error executing command as another user: Not authorized [USER=root] [TTY=unknown] [CWD=/] [COMMAND=/usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 51]

Yesterday I compiled Armbian_5.97_Pinebook-a64_Debian_buster_dev_5.3.0-rc8_desktop for my non-Pro Pinebook.

While booting the screen was very dim :(

So I searched on the net for a command and came to the one you had in your error-message above ;)

But the value 51 for brightness was too high to be set.

I did read out the actual dim value as 2:

#read-out display brightness
pkexec /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --get-brightness

and I did set (via /etc/rc.local) a for-me-default value of 8:

#set display brightness
pkexec /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 8

A value of 10 was to bright for me :)

• Igor unpinned this topic