Orange Pi Zero Overheating Problem

gailu

Hi Experts,

I am using OPI zero with Ubuntu Xenial. I started with Armbian but switched over to Ubuntu in order to use overlayfs.

I am facing overheating problem ad yes I need to apply heat sink etc to solve the issue however since my requirement is not processor intensive (read 48 byte data over UART every 100-200ms and send it over WiFi), I am wondering if I can reduce CPU speed in software to avoid overheating.

Any help/expert advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Experts,

I am using OPI zero with Ubuntu Xenial. I started with Armbian but switched over to Ubuntu in order to use overlayfs.

I am facing overheating problem ad yes I need to apply heat sink etc to solve the issue however since my requirement is not processor intensive (read 48 byte data over UART every 100-200ms and send it over WiFi), I am wondering if I can reduce CPU speed in software to avoid overheating.

Any help/expert advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

3 questions:

Can you use the h3consumption tool from Armbian to turn off HDMI, cores?

Did you limit the CPU frequencies to low values?

Why do you need overlayfs for a serial-wifi-bridge?

Harald

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hi Herald,

Thanks for h3consumption tool. I turned off HDMI cores, there was some improvement but not significant. Then I turned off other unwanted stuff along with 2 cores of out 4. The moment I turned of two cores it worked perfectly, no heating issues at all. Two cores are good enough for my application. Thank you so much for your help.

To answer other queries

a No, I didn't change frequencies

b overlayfs is not required for serial-wifi bridge but we use it to avoid any possible corruption due to power failure. my opi zero is not running on battery and we have frequent power disruption in our part of world.

Thank you once again and to the person who wrote this script. Much needed, infect should be part of released Armbian images.