h3consumption -e on problem with armbian <5.20

fedyhd

I use armbian 5.16 or 5.17 on my OPI-PC (I do not remember which of the two, I read Firmware: #14 from OPI-monitor).

I installed h3consumption tool a few days ago with these instructions:

sudo -s
wget -q -O /usr/local/bin/h3consumption "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/igorpecovnik/lib/master/scripts/h3consumption"
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/h3consumption

then I used "h3consumption - g off" and after a reboot "h3consumption - e off" (because I use a USB3toGigabit ethernet adapter). Now I have:

$ sudo h3consumption -p
Active settings:
cpu       1296 mhz allowed, 1200 mhz possible, 4 cores active
dram      624 mhz
hdmi/gpu  off
usb ports active
eth0      detected:/, Link: 

I had renamed the network interfaces with eth0 for my USBadapter and eth2 (ex eth0) for the integrated lan. In fact eth2 does not appear now with ifconfig command. However, I noticed that the integrated ethernet port LEDs are lit up with the cable that is disconnected :blink:. Then I tried:

$ sudo h3consumption -e on
/usr/local/bin/h3consumption: line 220: /etc/armbian-release: No such file or directory
Armbian installation too old, please apt-get upgrade before. Exiting.

How can I fix the problem? 

I had not updated armbian to version 5.20 because I had read about problems with minidlna which is important for me. 

If necessary, is this the correct procedure for updating? 

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install -f
apt-get upgrade
apt-get autoremove -y

8 hours ago, fedyhd said:

If necessary, is this the correct procedure for updating? 

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Updates/upgrades usually run without a hitch. Best practice is to always clone/backup your current system before doing any changes. Good luck.

10 hours ago, fedyhd said:

However, I noticed that the integrated ethernet port LEDs are lit up with the cable that is disconnected

That's normal on Orange Pis, the Ethernet LEDs are for whatever reasons a 'power on led' in early boot stage. Disabling the internal Ethernet should work with h3consumption since this is just a tweak to modify fex settings so the best thing to do is

bin2fex /boot/script.bin | grep gmac

to check actual state (simply read through script sources to understand the possible values). Anyway I second @rodolfo's suggestion to backup SD card and do an upgrade ('backups'/clones should be done using ddrescue)

6 hours ago, rodolfo said:

Updates/upgrades usually run without a hitch. Best practice is to always clone/backup your current system before doing any changes. Good luck.

Thanks. I remember that to update from armbian <5.20 to armbian 5.20 there were slightly different instructions, are they no longer important?

6 hours ago, rodolfo said:

"h3consumption -e" relates to internal GbE of the board as defined in FEX, not external USB adapter.

I know, in fact I wanted to disable the internal card because I use a faster usb card.

4 hours ago, tkaiser said:

That's normal on Orange Pis, the Ethernet LEDs are for whatever reasons a 'power on led' in early boot stage. Disabling the internal Ethernet should work with h3consumption since this is just a tweak to modify fex settings so the best thing to do is

bin2fex /boot/script.bin | grep gmac

to check actual state (simply read through script sources to understand the possible values). Anyway I second @rodolfo's suggestion to backup SD card and do an upgrade ('backups'/clones should be done using ddrescue)

Thanks. The problems of armbian 5.20 with minidlna are solved?

$ bin2fex /boot/script.bin | grep gmac
fexc-bin: /boot/script.bin: version: 0.1.2
fexc-bin: /boot/script.bin: size: 35916 (80 sections)
[gmac0]
gmac_used = 0
gmac_power1 =

25 minutes ago, fedyhd said:

Is there any info about problems with minidlna? thanks

If you are talking about FFmpeg libraries conflict - then it was fixed. If you are unsure - you can always make a full SD backup before trying a new image and revert back if there are any serious issues with the new system.

39 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

If you are talking about FFmpeg libraries conflict - then it was fixed. If you are unsure - you can always make a full SD backup before trying a new image and revert back if there are any serious issues with the new system.

Perfect, thanks!