OS will not boot

highvoltage67

Hello, i am very new to using armbain. I picked up an orange pi lite and loaded armbain debain jessie using etcher on a 16gb card. when i install it to the orange pi lite and power it on it asks me for a user name and password. i did as instructed using rot and 1234. then i added my name and made a new password as instructed. it then acts like its booting and says orange pi lite on the screen but wont boot the GUI desktop as it describes. it displays the name and some of the current states of the board (temp ect) but then sits at a command prompt waiting for input. i can type help and it will give me a list of commands that work for it but none indicate they will boot the os. when i type LS to list it does nothing. does anyone know how to get the OS to boot to the GUI desktop? sorry for the rookie question. thanks in advance for any help provided.

Your posting title is misleading. An Operating System is not  the GUI (graphical user interface). That you mention yourself in the posting.

So your OS does boot.

Just to make sure, your download does say  "desktop"  like here:   Ubuntu_xenial_default_desktop.7z

Could be display resolution type this: h3disp

And if this is correct, try:  startx

Thank you for your help. i will double check the download and try what you have advised. i am sorry for any inaccuracies in my first post i was in a mad dash out the door before work.

thank you again i will let you know how this works