Orange Pi Zero /4.11.0-sun8i/ wlan0 is gone

hpapagaj

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I will probably commit it soon, but leaving it disabled ...

Thank you. That will certainly help people willing (and able) to compile their own kernels. I wish the rest could have access to the driver though ... :mellow:

Just wondering, could this be enabled manually by the user on current kernels?

In other words, those who wish to use this, is there an alternative way instead of building the kernel by

1) modprobe

2) load the dts in?

It will greatly benefit us if we have either options.

7 hours ago, kutysam said:

Just wondering, could this be enabled manually by the user on current kernels?

In other words, those who wish to use this, is there an alternative way instead of building the kernel by

1) modprobe

2) load the dts in?

It will greatly benefit us if we have either options.

This was my original proposal to use an overlay I posted one initial version that I wan't able to make work but I'm not a DTS expert maybe someone can simply aling it with the patch that @martinayotte created.

Some test result using iperf. Distance to AP ca. 5m line of sight.

Zero as client:

[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  17.4 MBytes  14.6 Mbits/sec
[  3] 10.0-20.0 sec  17.6 MBytes  14.8 Mbits/sec
[  3] 20.0-30.0 sec  17.4 MBytes  14.6 Mbits/sec
[  3] 30.0-40.0 sec  17.9 MBytes  15.0 Mbits/sec
[  3] 40.0-50.0 sec  16.6 MBytes  13.9 Mbits/sec
[  3] 50.0-60.0 sec  17.2 MBytes  14.5 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-60.1 sec   104 MBytes  14.5 Mbits/sec

Zero as server:

[  4]  0.0-61.3 sec  96.9 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec

dmesg reports no xradio related drops/errors.

OK so now that others see that zero wi-fi is not as crappy as others have stated.

I have wireless streamed / transferred 67 gig across a zero this month and did not see any real issues.

Now can we get it enabled for all the users??
NOT having it enabled really does not make much sense, if the powers to be do not wish to "support" then don't.

They could move those post to Peer support. Some of us are only looking at IoT projects, moving txt / csv / xml files, and so on.

I did a little project a few weeks back, call it a proof of concept, I was sent 10 zero's / sd cards and power supplies purchased as a package deal.

I setup the zeros as asked and they went out to service, the Monkey tech installing the zero's had issues with a cisco catalyst ??, and another cisco switch??.

The "tech" (firedog / geeksquad / Gurus to go) did not know what model switches....

He said one zero would not connect (wired), said he had to plug one into the switch with 12 " cable, going thru the punch down block did not work, another he had to use a cheap switch between the zero and cisco. I am told those 2 zeros have heavy packet loss over the wired connection and drop off the network once or twice a day.

Now just to be clear I did not recommend the Zero, I said he should use the PC Plus.

P.S. Because I got paid for this project I donated a small part (about 10%) to Igor..as I used Armbian build for the zeros. Hint... Hint... If everyone did this Igor and ??? could have a weekend long drunk on us.

3 minutes ago, Bubba said:

OK so now that others see that zero wi-fi is not as crappy as others have stated.

Can anybody test

• Creating an access point on the Zero
  • Connecting the Zero (as client) to an open AP

to confirm that it's not that crappy?

4 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Now can we get it enabled for all the users??

For sun8i-dev (and sunxi-dev in the future) - possibly, as long as somebody will maintain it and update with future kernel updates.

For sunxi-next (stable/supported releases) I will scream YOU SHALL NOT PASS each time anybody suggests adding it to the branch that is considered "stable".

quick check ...

iperf - as client:

[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  13.4 MBytes  11.2 Mbits/sec
[  3] 10.0-20.0 sec  15.4 MBytes  12.9 Mbits/sec
[  3] 20.0-30.0 sec  15.6 MBytes  13.1 Mbits/sec
[  3] 30.0-40.0 sec  16.0 MBytes  13.4 Mbits/sec
[  3] 40.0-50.0 sec  15.2 MBytes  12.8 Mbits/sec
[  3] 50.0-60.0 sec  15.9 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-60.0 sec  91.6 MBytes  12.8 Mbits/sec

... as server:

[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  10.1 MBytes  8.49 Mbits/sec
[  3] 10.0-20.0 sec  10.0 MBytes  8.39 Mbits/sec
[  3] 20.0-30.0 sec  12.1 MBytes  10.2 Mbits/sec
[  3] 30.0-40.0 sec  9.12 MBytes  7.65 Mbits/sec
[  3] 40.0-50.0 sec  11.9 MBytes  9.96 Mbits/sec
[  3] 50.0-60.0 sec  11.1 MBytes  9.33 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-60.3 sec  64.5 MBytes  8.98 Mbits/sec

very few "missed interrupt" errors (1 per measurement).

On my zero ver 1.1 it was going good  I was sucking down a 4 gig file, I pushed it and ran update / upgrade at the same time.

On reboot wi-fi is gone, takes about 4 mins for the ethernet to come back up. 

Will reburn and test it once more.

@raschid I had rebooted before I ran the update. 

I am running some load test now, but I have replaced the "stock" antennas with these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WIFI-2-4G-3dbi-PCB-Antenna-IPX-IPEX-WLAN-Laptop-Bluetooth-Zigbee-Wireless-Module-SIM900-SIM800L/32732546964.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.j0sOkS ,  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-Smart-Electronics-1set-ESP-8266-ESP8266-Serial-WIFI-Wireless-Transceiver-Module-MT7681-3DBI-Gain/32351052354.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.j0sOkS  and with my bad eyesite and old hands it is not easy for to swap the stock ones.

No luck with OPEN ap's, it talks to the AP but never connects.

as of now very few errors are showing in client mode downloading from a local server on lan.

21 hours ago, Bubba said:

No luck with OPEN ap's, it talks to the AP but never connects.

Same here. Also tested the fifteenhex-version of the driver. No luck either.

This is no deal breaker for me - I fail to see significant use cases for open wifi with this device.

Yea I would NEVER connect to an AP.

I was running load test on the zero, left it running over night, I guess it was to much for the zero, the ethernet port died.

I have a 1.4 ver I will test this weekend.

I signed up to the forums just so I could add my voice to this ticket.

I've been using the Orange pi zeros for a couple of months and was really happy with how well the wifi worked as an access point.  So I am a little disturbed to discover that the wifi driver has been disabled and that I need to pin my kernel version (especially since I told thirty other people to get their own Orange pi zero based on my testing...)

Is there a list of issues with this driver somewhere?

start here... https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3243-orange-pi-zero-wireless-module-status-xradio-st-cw1200/

the zero works fine in IoT projects, thing is some folks think a cheap 7.00 board can replace 200.00 of x86 gear.

ap limit of 5 connections, weak wi-fi signal, crappy stock antenna, weak psu = failure before they start

Igor did build a 4.1x image with wi-fi it is linked here

20 minutes ago, kutysam said:

Unfortunately, once apt-get upgrade kicks in, a reboot will make the wifi dissappear. Anyway to prevent this ?

Froze kernel upgrading in armbian-config and than apt-upgrade won't upgrade system packages ( kernel, uboot, bsp, ...)

On 05/07/2017 at 6:47 PM, Bubba said:

Yeah, I read that topic some months ago - I was more hoping for a list of what would is needed to re-enable the driver in standard armbian builds.

Yes, I can compile it myself, but that doesn't help me when I'm suggesting that other people get this board and use Armbian.  Right now, I've ended up telling people to get Armbian installed and then manually install the older kernel version - but then I run the risk that the old kernel .deb will disappear.

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

what would is needed to re-enable the driver in standard armbian builds

There are no standard Armbian builds for Orange pi Zero with kernel 4.x and you are obviously not a developer, whom this build is made for. Topic regarding this shitty wireless driver and related questions forced us to abandon support for it. We already throw into this problem insane amount of our time - it looks we hit the bottom long time ago - and all we get is negative reaction. Sorry, we only do our best to make this peace of shitty hardware work. We did not made it and you did not bought it from us.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

There are no standard Armbian builds for Orange pi Zero with kernel 4.x and you are obviously not a developer, whom this build is made for. Topic regarding this shitty wireless driver and related questions forced us to abandon support for it. We already throw into this problem insane amount of our time - it looks we hit the bottom long time ago - and all we get is negative reaction. Sorry, we only do our best to make this peace of shitty hardware work. We did not made it and you did not bought it from us.

If you would like my 'developer' credentials, perhaps I should point you at https://github.com/hamishcoleman

That being said, I am not asking for support, nor am I complaining about this shitty device, I  just am asking what specific development work - if done (by others - not by you) - would change the default status of this hardware driver back to "enabled"

13 minutes ago, Hamish said:

That being said, I am not asking for support, nor am I complaining about this shitty device, I  just am asking what specific development work - if done (by others - not by you) - would change the default status of this hardware driver back to "enabled"

Apologise for my misunderstanding and mistreatment. There is so much frustration surrounded this chip, that I don't even try to think.

I can only wish you luck.

48 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I  just am asking what specific development work - if done (by others - not by you) - would change the default status of this hardware driver back to "enabled"

This won't happen because people will still come to us for support. Feel free to build an image, share it with others and provide better level of support for this wireless module if you want, but at least this image won't be named "Armbian stable".

On 7.7.2017 at 10:04 AM, zador.blood.stained said:

This won't happen

Thank you  @zador.blood.stained for clearing this up. I had been genuinly under the impression that you thought about reactivating the driver when you were asking folks to test stuff :

On 27.6.2017 at 8:08 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

an anybody test

• Creating an access point on the Zero
  • Connecting the Zero (as client) to an open AP

Bit of a waste of time, right?

One last request to @Igor: please update the armbian hompage regarding folks "becoming a part of our vibrant community, contribute ideas and have fun" - because it isn't, you can't and you won't.

Just read this thread from top to bottom and you will see what I mean.

Whoops, my stop - this is where I get of ... bye

8 minutes ago, raschid said:

Thank you  @zador.blood.stained for clearing this up. I had been genuinly under the impression that you thought about reactivating the driver when you were asking folks to test stuff

For clarifications - this most likely won't happen unless there are significant improvements to the driver quality. These images (nightlies with the dev kernel) images are (or rather were) provided for developers and people who are willing to accept the current software situation, and not for people who will endlessly create threads like "I downloaded Orange Pi Zero mainline image and I can't connect to open AP please fix!!!!111".

In my opinion compiling and installing an out-of-tree driver is an easy but powerful barrier to reduce the number of people who don't read the documentation and known issues.