Orange PI zero getting really hot and not booting

adam

The device gets unbearably hot as soon as it gets turned on, after ~30 seconds the Ethernet ports start to flash and the red light flashes for ~.5 of a second.

I'm assuming it's toast, right?

Could be a bad/insufficient/old power supply, bad/counterfeit/mis-inserted SD card, bad/wrong/corrupted image, .... you really should view the serial console[1] to see if there's any useful message or any legible output at all.  If you must fly blind, first try rewriting the SD card, making sure you're using the correct stable image for the board and verifying that it was downloaded, extracted, and written to the card properly.

[1] See http://lucsmall.com/2017/01/19/beginners-guide-to-the-orange-pi-zero/ (read the note on the USB-to-serial converter voltage level before the "Software requirements" heading, then skip to "Alternative strategy, using USB-to-serial converter")

@jhpadjustable

Tried reflashing the SD and another power supply, no die. I can't get the serial output without cracking out my trusty ol' arduino

I had the device working for two days (on and off), I left it running over night, so I think the SoC overheated and shorted itself internally, ordered another one anyway.

I also had the same problem for me the culprit was the LAN cable faulty. With pi zero you really have to apply a fan or your board will get really hot about 80C and it'll restart frequently

15 hours ago, hillz said:

I also had the same problem for me the culprit was the LAN cable faulty. With pi zero you really have to apply a fan or your board will get really hot about 80C and it'll restart frequently

With Orange Pi Zero you really have to apply a quality power supply, not just grab any old microUSB charger out of the charger drawer.  Overheating has been associated with insufficient power supplies.  Even in the black box with no heatsink, I have never exceeded 62°C when powering the device from a decent adapter.

22 hours ago, hillz said:

With pi zero you really have to apply a fan or your board will get really hot about 80C and it'll restart frequently

Bildschirmfoto%202017-05-14%20um%2009.50

OPi Zero seeding official Armbian torrents 24/7 powered by USB2 port of my router (does not provide more than 500mA). It's in a really tiny enclosure (picture) providing no airflow with just a heatsink glued to the SoC.

Which OS are you running on your Zero?

22 hours ago, kisio said:

What are You doing with it? Did You try h3consumption? Mine runs for 3 weeks and barely gets warm. Never over 50.

I had setup a WiFi access point with it. it wasn't going to be an actual router, I was just testing my Android App with it pushing config files ect. I am unable to even boot the device, it heats up without an SD card too.

With Orange Pi Zero you really have to apply a quality power supply, not just grab any old microUSB charger out of the charger drawer.  Overheating has been associated with insufficient power supplies.  Even in the black box with no heatsink, I have never exceeded 62°C when powering the device from a decent adapter.

I'm using the standard quick charger from my S7 edge with a decent microUSB cable, it shouldn't be a problem. I've also tried it with my computers USB ports (max 500mA). Maybe my unit just had a defective SoC.

8 hours ago, tkaiser said:

I was running the legacy kernel listed on the Orange Pi Zero page.

I can't measure the temperature of the SoC however if I place my finger on it and apply power it gets unbearably hot within ~2 seconds.

46 minutes ago, adam said:

I can't measure the temperature of the SoC however if I place my finger on it and apply power it gets unbearably hot within ~2 seconds.

Sounds defective. There's a testpoint called 1V2C on the board. You should measure voltage between this testpoint and ground. Should be either 1.1V or 1.3V and if it exceeds the latter voltage regulation on your board is broken.

On 5/14/2017 at 2:53 PM, tkaiser said:

I am running openwrt and using the built in wifi as an AP, perhaps that's what causes the temp to go really high. Anyway I just found out there's an already available image of openwrt in the orange pi website http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/orangepizero/2017-05-05/orangepizero_f76137cbe2e0f38f8d5b32c.html