1wire sensors

Helder Freitas

Hi. I'm trying to change the setup I have running on a pi pc to my new pi pc2 running latest version of nightly (at least latest version of the packages)

Every kernel version I tried does include the w1-gpio and w1_therm but it's missing the w1-sunxi that's required for it to work. 

Is it missing from the kernel or am I the one missing something? 

5 hours ago, Helder Freitas said:

running latest version of nightly

Those images are containing unfinished / development / experimental kernel which is noted at download page. If some functionality is missing, it's possible it has to be done and in general we don't try to support kernel which is changing on daily basis. I have no idea if 1-wire is already done.

This status matrix will help you understand: http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort ... for H5 everything is either WIP or 4.12+

There is some legacy kernel for H5, where those things probably work, but we don't have much interest nor capacity to bring it to Armbian.

10 hours ago, Helder Freitas said:

but it's missing the w1-sunxi that's required for it to work. 

Why do you think that? None of sunxi boards supported by Armbian have HW 1-Wire controller, so w1-gpio must be used.

On Orange Pi PC2 1-wire should work by activating "w1-gpio" overlay, but it requires a fresh image (not an older image updated with apt upgrade)

1 hour ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Why do you think that? None of sunxi boards supported by Armbian have HW 1-Wire controller, so w1-gpio must be used.

On Orange Pi PC2 1-wire should work by activating "w1-gpio" overlay, but it requires a fresh image (not an older image updated with apt upgrade)

Are you sure? From what I remember on the pi pc it wouldn't work without w1-sunxi (plain Debian, not armbian) 

I'm using the following nighty, is that one new enough for it to work? 

ARMBIAN 5.27.170522 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 4.11.1-sun50iw2 

w1-sunxi is for the legacy kernel. Here we are talking about mainline - there are no legacy kernel based Armbian images for H5 boards.

37 minutes ago, Helder Freitas said:

I'm using the following nighty, is that one new enough for it to work? 

ARMBIAN 5.27.170522 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 4.11.1-sun50iw2 

If it is today's image (or a couple of days old image) then it should work.

I managed to make it work. The nightly i'm using was trying to load the overlay but with the wrong name and from the wrong folder:

/boot/dtb/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h5-w1-gpio.dtbo <--- location of file on mmc

/boot/dtb/allwinner/overlays/-sun50i-h5-w1-gpio.dtbo <--- place from where the OS was trying to read

I made a symbolic link to /dtb (that's also read at boot although not used on the stock image) with the folder and name altered.  Maybe it will even survive a kernel update!

The only think I could not do was change the parameters (in this case port) as using the correct parameter inside armbianEnv.txt wasnt changin anything so I just physically changed the cable on the header

Thanks all!

hy Helder

Did you change the PIN in the original W1-GPIO file or did you use the armbian-add-overlay <overlay_file.dts>

command to generate a user overlay that is stored in the /boot/overlay-user folder?

I'm currently trying to get my DS18B20 running on a different GPIO since the one suggested by the kernel is already used for resting the LAN controller.

Andy