Kubernetes on Asus Tinker Board: CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT not set

DevTom

Hi

There are some guides on how to install Kubernetes on a Raspberry Pi cluster. I am trying to build such a cluster with Asus Tinker Boards as I think that these would make an even more powerful demo system. Unfortunately there are no guides for running Kubernetes on Tinker Boards.

I am using Armbian Ubuntu Xenial mainline image which is running very stable.

uname -a
Linux tinkerboard 4.11.0-rockchip #19 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 4 16:08:16 CEST 2017 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

When initializing the cluster with "kubeadm init" it runs into the following fatal error during preflight checks of the system:

[preflight] Some fatal errors occurred:
        unexpected kernel config: CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT

and 

CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT: not set

Is this an option that has to be included into kernel at compile time? If yes, I think this would be a useful option to be contained in the downloadable image - at least for users of Kubernetes.

Thanks for any support or hint.

Tom 

I got this error as well. Based on this message:

[preflight] If you know what you are doing, you can skip pre-flight checks with `--skip-preflight-checks`

I decided I knew what I was doing and ran:

# kubeadm init --skip-preflight-checks

Not sure if everything is working yet, but that error is resolved.

How's your cluster going? I too am looking at building out a small cluster with tinkerboards.

A whole nightly building is on hold until upcoming bugfix release. Since I am currently playing out with Tinkerboard, I will make them and upload probably once during a day. If this is not fast enough, you need to setup build environment.

Edit:

https://dl.armbian.com/tinkerboard/Ubuntu_xenial_next_desktop_nightly.7z

https://dl.armbian.com/tinkerboard/Ubuntu_xenial_next_nightly.7z

The nightly you uploaded, and linked is working.  Thank you.

root@P3X-422:~# kubectl get po --all-namespaces
NAMESPACE     NAME                              READY     STATUS             RESTARTS   AGE
default       hypriot-5747f86854-4c25v          1/1       Running            0          4h
default       hypriot-5747f86854-9nk45          1/1       Running            0          4h
default       hypriot-5747f86854-dvsj7          1/1       Running            0          4h
kube-system   etcd-p3x-422                      1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-apiserver-p3x-422            1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-controller-manager-p3x-422   1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-dns-66ffd5c588-cfsft         3/3       Running   0        5h
kube-system   kube-flannel-ds-867wz             2/2       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-flannel-ds-hbt8v             2/2       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-flannel-ds-vxdj2             2/2       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-proxy-f4f6n                  1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-proxy-gmtpq                  1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-proxy-sfm4k                  1/1       Running            0          5h
kube-system   kube-scheduler-p3x-422            1/1       Running            0          5h

Hi all,

I landed here (via Google) with the same error. Does the error prevent K8s from working correctly? I find the networking driver from Weaveworks to work better with arm boards than Flannel. I'd also recommend using a stock OS over Hypriot. I wrote a guide you guys may enjoy:

https://blog.alexellis.io/serverless-kubernetes-on-raspberry-pi/

I'm in the process of testing it all out on the Tinkerboard. I think it'll work fine once past this error and gives a sense of purpose to the cluster. 

Regards,

Alex