NBD versus NFS/iSCSI

hmartin

I have a NAS which can support iSCSI, NFS, or NBD. I have several years of experience using iSCSI on x86, but I was wondering if anyone is using it on these ARM boards.

I'm also looking at NBD, because it is supposedly lower overhead than iSCSI. Is anyone currently using NBD on their SBC?

I've heard NBD doesn't handle connectivity issues as well as iSCSI, so it's not wise to use for data you care about. However, providers such as Scaleway are using NBD as the rootfs for their ARM servers (not saying this is good or bad, just saying it).

I am thinking specifically of having the SBC be the client, not the server. However anyone who can provide insight into the performance of the boards using NBD/NFS/iSCSI as server/client it would be appreciated.

(Apologies if this is a duplicate, I searched for topics about NBD but couldn't find any existing discussion about it)

I have a NAS which can support iSCSI, NFS, or NBD. I have several years of experience using iSCSI on x86, but I was wondering if anyone is using it on these ARM boards.

I'm also looking at NBD, because it is supposedly lower overhead than iSCSI. Is anyone currently using NBD on their SBC?

I've heard NBD doesn't handle connectivity issues as well as iSCSI, so it's not wise to use for data you care about. However, providers such as Scaleway are using NBD as the rootfs for their ARM servers (not saying this is good or bad, just saying it).

I am thinking specifically of having the SBC be the client, not the server. However anyone who can provide insight into the performance of the boards using NBD/NFS/iSCSI as server/client it would be appreciated.

(Apologies if this is a duplicate, I searched for topics about NBD but couldn't find any existing discussion about it)

I was unfamiliar with NBD so I had to look at it. TCP based with lower overhead.... I find that suspect.... but I just glanced at it.

Anyway. If you only have a single interface on your SBC I'd stick with NFS4 and spend time tuning it to your use case. The biggest perk to iscsi is performance via multipathing across multiple interfaces....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk