Clearfog base: temperature / alternative heatsink recommendations

Learnincurve

Hi,

I am setting up a Clearfog base as the backend for my music player. As a high-end audio device it would be a clear advantage if all processing could be passively cooled.

Running Armbian_5.27_Clearfogbase_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.4.70 the default heatsink gets very hot to the touch and feels much hotter than the reported 49 degrees.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the available kernel and armbian versions regarding temperature?

Does anyone know of any inaccuracies in the temperature reporting for the ARMADA 38x?

What could be regarded as a safe (reported) operating temperature for the ARMADA 38x?

Does anyone know of alternative heatsinks that might be made to fit the Clearfog base with minimal modification?

BR.

Marius

10 minutes ago, Learnincurve said:

Does anyone know of any inaccuracies in the temperature reporting for the ARMADA 38x?

What Armbian does when you login depends on this here: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/scripts/update-motd.d/30-sysinfo#L42-L45

So you see that Armbian outputs 30°C less than the kernel reports. I don't know why but Igor implemented it this way when he started with this motd stuff so I had no chance other than keeping this when overworking 30-sysinfo some time ago (since we really don't need another 'after Armbian upgrade my board runs way hotter' drama). Maybe Igor can comment...

34 minutes ago, Learnincurve said:

we will be able to rely on the readings

Hmm... if your heatsink feels really hot you can be assured that the stuff below runs even hotter. Please keep also in mind discussion of Helios4 and @zador.blood.stained's remarks wrt active cooling: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3045-support-of-helios4-intro/&do=findComment&comment=21192