Need help. Need wifi as default. Need to boot to startx instead of console.

latinhawk

I just installed Ubuntu on A20 Cubieboard2. I have two situations. First boot stops if no ethernet connection present. Because of location issues need to use wifi by default.

I need to have startx run without me having to login first and manually issue startx command. Other than this two issues all seems fine.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi latinhawk,

For the network configuration, have a look at:  http://www.armbian.com/documentation/

You just have to edit the configuration file, or better yet, make a new one and symlink it to /etc/network/interfaces .

Commenting out the eth0 section will solve your problem with the boot stopping if ethernet is unplugged.

I just tested it and it works perfectly now (doesn't stop booting).

Connecting wifi would be in the same file I am guessing, but I haven't tested that yet.

Deskwizard

As for the wifi automatic configuration, it's in the same file, a little lower.

Here is what mine looks like as reference, there's a couple details that aren't mentionned, like the SSID requiring quotes.

# Wireless adapter #1
auto wlan0
        iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "WIFI_SSID"
        wpa-psk 9a7c22f1277fe84d694fdas765f67dsa856fas785fds9e78d9b288d412be01e516

The command to generate the key is listed in the file below the wifi settings.

Beware, don't copy paste the result as it is not formatted properly, use the results only.

I just tested it with WPA2 and it booted and connected wifi flawlessly.

Deskwizard