Moderator duties

What shall moderators do on our forum.

Basics:

- job should be invisible

- spam control and clean up (rare)

- approve posts from new users (daily)

- Warning: editing topic tittle change it's URL
- move topic to appropriate forum (rare) (tick "Leave a link to the new location" - it deletes auto in 30 days

• recognise and tag tutorials & researches. Move them into "Research Guides & Tutorials"

- merge, pin and lock topics (rare, with caution)
- cut and move posts to new topics (rare, with caution)

Intermediate:

- Warn User for:

• spamming, 
  • inappropriate language,
  • signature violation,
  • abusive behaviour,
  • topic bumping.

Stop being a moderator:

- when you don't want

- on multiple complains

To study and add more:
https://bubbajuju.com/forum-moderating/

I'll bite. I did say I was willing to help out any way I can. If it means spam control, so be it! ;) And thanks for the link to the article... I'll have to ram that down the throat of another "moderator" that I know someday...

Granted! Thank you.

Some more general thoughts:

We have a very strong spam protection, so you won't have much job dealing with robots, but human creations which sometimes are spam. Since our moderator team got stronger now, we can keep forum in better condition - keeping posts on topics, which was somehow neglected.

Our job is also to limit down repeated questions the best way possible with as little impact as possible - with tools mentioned above and procedures which should be summed above. You have right for post editing - use it to update "Moderator duties", when we come up with something to add. I'll do so, but sometimes I won't be able to react promptly. Don't edit other people posts unless it's really necessary.

And remember we need to stay humble. We are all just people with ability to make certain moves, which shall be in common interest. Authority will be needed in case of troubles.

Prohibiting (ban) and deleting content should be last option - if warnings does not produce any effect - our forum is in general very good in this manner - we issued one temporal ban and currently we don't have banned users. 

No worries there... I only edit when it's some thing silly like those quote-within-quote-within-quote posts (which don't seem to happen here), or code formatting hasn't been used. Basically readability stuff, and I make it known that is why the edit was done.  And point taken, all hail the mighty Igor! :lol:

@Igor When it's obvious human spam, do we temporal ban or just kick? Case in point: jessica951 Just want to ensure I toe the company line! :D

OK. Also remind / warn me and other moderators and vice versa when we go out of topic or made some invalid post. Humans do mistakes :P

Forked out from the thread about nightly images, imho we should have a discussion about the forum itself. I think we can improve the 'forum experience' for both sides (people who uses it mostly for getting support and people who spend a lot of time to help this users). Should we do this here?

4 hours ago, pfeerick said:

@Igor When it's obvious human spam, do we temporal ban or just kick? Case in point: jessica951 Just want to ensure I toe the company line! :D

If it's an obvious spam - just use The Banhammer, full swing, straight to the head (aka "Flag as spammer" function). Sometimes spam is not obvious, but if content in question contains suspicious external links or just doesn't make any sense, you can just skip it and leave for somebody else to make a decision.

17 hours ago, Igor said:

- Warn User for:

• spamming, 
  • inappropriate language,
  • signature violation,
  • abusive behaviour,
  • topic bumping.

I don't think we have any rules set up regarding signature and topic bumping.

Is it only me or are you 'moderators' moved quite a bit of (my) posts ?

On 18.6.2017 at 7:33 PM, Igor said:

- move topic to appropriate forum (rare)

And if you do so, please leave an Edit-Message, that you moved it. Thank you.

11 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Is it the one we all known ?

Not naming names. But rest assured it's no-one from this forum. And you just *know* I want to remove the 'n' from your post, don't you! :-P

13 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

If it's an obvious spam - just use The Banhammer, full swing, straight to the head (aka "Flag as spammer" function).

Thanks Zador.  I decided I'll just lurk for a couple of days to see what the flow of things are, and will simply approve stuff if I see it in time! ;) So that would be Warning -> Spam -> Restrict from posting content?

4 hours ago, Igor said:

We have dispute in less than one day ? :D When moving, leave a pointer - it deletes auto in 30 days.

Dangers of moving away from a dictatorship :-P I know a link would be nice, but would a simple "This post has been split... go find it yourself" (slightly more diplomatically worded, of course) suffice to not mess with unread flags?? ;) 

I'd like to join. Been awhile since I moderated but I've been in customer service a looong time. Same thing really, just easier.

Been in tech just about as long, professionally and unprofessionally. Experience has taught me that I know a thing or two but also that I don't, know a thing or two :P

Most importantly, I seriously  just wanna contribute to Armbian. If I win the lottery maybe I can donate a buncha of money to you lazy bums (a joke) but I haven't so... I wanna donate my time. If that means spending 15-20 min/day mostly approving new posts and minimizing duplicates, let's do it.

I've done my reading of the requirements and I'll reread that 'good forum moderator' article, I just ask that you let me ask questions. :D

Thanks. Lemme know.

18 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

If it's an obvious spam - just use The Banhammer

This function is (was) not enabled by default - just hover over the username -> "More options" -> "Flag as spamer" / "Warn user" . When flagging someone as spammer - posts are also hidden and AFAIK user info goes upstream to general spam database. Spammers busted on any IPB forum are blocked everywhere ... with one click. In reality there are some problems with this service - sometimes prevents humans to login - and it's currently disabled. I'll check again upon next major forum upgrade.

1 hour ago, StuxNet said:

I've done my reading of the requirements

Welcome on board :P - this requirements above shell be updated but remained simple, unambiguous and understandable to everyone, not just to us. 

I guess I will need to rewrite the text saying "rare" to "extremely rare" since forum crew expanded this quickly :) Closing recruitment for this year or until someone decides to have enough of this.

Seems that your moderator problems are solved by just having one thread in the forum (future will show if we do a good job to take away some workload from you) :P. IMHO some points to consider for the board: 

• I think we should have a thread pinned on every support forum called read first (example from the arduino.cc forum) just to remind people what makes it easyier to give support (e.g. tkaiser research on SD cards & power supply helped me a lot when i started with my opi zero). It could also used to remind people once again that that experimental builds aren't recommended for end users and support is somehow limited.  It wouldn't be read by everyone who's asking a question but having it in the forum &  the 'getting started' page improves the chance that it would be read. Maybe questions like this one can be avoided. It's open since 9 days, has more than >70 views and no one showed (for understandable reasons) the willingness to give him an answer.
  • I think it would be great to have a project subforum. Where people can present their ongoing or finished projects done with armbian. This could also be the place where a tutorial for a specific issue can be moved as soon as there is a proper solution. I learn new thins mostly from other projects and then combine it with my needs to get what i want. 

This is just a proposal, so feel free to point it out why I'm wrong with my ideas. :D

Now some manual work is needed - I already did hundreds of moves here and there. 

- technical support: I would propose to clean up to at least three pages back and move to: H3 mainline section, Common issues within technical support or to Peer to peer support

- swipe trough and tag manual if found

- cleanup General chit chat: moving elsewhere what is possible

Are we still missing something from ? :rolleyes:

Continue after hibernation.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I already did hundreds of moves here and there. 

Just as information. It seems all external links to individual posts are broken which I consider worst case scenario since I'm writing here tutorials for a reason (to both spread some knowledge and also to get more attention for Armbian).

Eg. linking to read this first will be redirected to top of thread instead https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3953-generate-omv-images-for-sbc-with-armbian/&do=findComment&comment=32340

The first one is the example link as I was using it all the time from external, the second one is the new link:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3953-preview-generate-omv-images-for-sbc-with-armbian/#comment-32340
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3953-generate-omv-images-for-sbc-with-armbian/#comment=32340

Update: it seems the title change is responsible for this. @Igorcan you please try to fix this (were other thread titles changes as well?) and can other mods please keep in mind to not change titles when moving tutorial/knowledge threads or 'hot stuff'? I've set maybe a few hundred external links to specific posts here and really don't want to see them getting useless. :) 

I don't think it's the change in thread title. If you look at the comment index number at the end, it is separated with a '-' in what you say is the link you've always used (which worked for me btw - it linked to your May 24 post), and the second uses a '=' (and didn't work for me) - did you get them swapped around by any chance (otherwise it's something on your end or Igor as changed something in the last hour)? Changing the separator alone made it work, and it redirects to the 'new' link (still using a '-' separator for the comment number).

7 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Update: it seems the title change is responsible for this. @Igorcan you please try to fix this (were other thread titles changes as well?) and can other mods please keep in mind to not change titles when moving tutorial/knowledge threads or 'hot stuff'?

I fixed that one and there might be one or two with the same problem. I don't recall to do more of such adjustments.

Edit: we mixed this link too :( Don't know how to fix. @pfeerick don't worry. You didn't know and I also forgot to note you about those problems / features.

https://blog.hackster.io/first-thoughts-on-the-new-rock64-board-f994fd3a04c4

Oops! Well, can't please everyone. But it was better to have been done sooner than later, as if we left it for a month or so we're either be stuck with that thread as it was, or break a load more sites when it does get split. 

Edit: Alasdair just updated the link ;)

Edited by pfeerick
link updated

5 hours ago, pfeerick said:

But it was better to have been done sooner than later, as if we left it for a month or so we're either be stuck with that thread as it was, or break a load more sites when it does get split.

Absolutely agree on that and was more talking about what happens in the future. In this specific case I see myself at fault since announcing to duplicate/recreate the thread and then not doing so timely. But fortunately we identified the issues quickly and those were fixed either internally or externally (thanks @Igorand Alasdair!).

But these issues should remind us that Armbian forum is not only used for internal discussion but also to have some impact on the outside (at least that's one of my uses, I still refuse to run my own thing/blog and try to collect knowledge here as part of a community to try to help letting the community grow).