Authentication token manipulation error

Asterion

Go figure, I haven't had much luck with my Orange Pi Zero after it appeared that attaching the expansion board fragged the motherboard somewhat (see my journey at).

The confounding factor was that multiple SD image burns, using WIN32DiskImager, prior to expansion board insertion on the Orange Pi Zero, were fine for about a week of experiments.  Immediately expansion board was inserted it all went downhill - literally.  

Thus, without any other evidence it appeared a hardware frag.

Problems like this not seen previously on my microPython, ODROID-W, ODROID-C1, RaspingBreathberry Doodle Pi, BeagleBone Black, BeagleBoard XM - all using WIN32DiskImager.  

Indeed, parallella distro was burnt to one of the SD from the Orange Pi experiments, using WIN32DiskImager, and no problem there.

Orange Pi Zero SD card was finally re-burnt, as suggested on forum, using Etcher.  

I note no warning on download page about why Etcher should be used (it is a "can" implying optional).  There is some explanation in the docs but, as tech authoring standards are not being used, it wasn't wrapped as NOTE or WARNING so is lost on page buried in website.

If, like me, you go to the archive to get the debian server, and you haven't come across etcher (and the mention of it is at bottom of the parent Orange Pi Zero page so is easily missed), and you have gotten by with WIN32DiskImager for yonks, you will also be burnt.

I can't corroborate claims of FS corruption as I wasn't using 3-pin serial - thus missing out on early login messages.

Otherwise, seems to be running again, for now, with same distro as before/during problems (but using Etcher instead of WIN32DiskImager).

Thanks to all those that helped me understand the problem.

RETRACTION!

I ran the system for two days, checking in occasionally by browsing into see node-red and emqttd running.  This morning I could not connect.  I checked and IP address had disappeared which was a problem seen on the WIN32DiskImager burnt version of the distro.  The problem cleared after 3 reboots (that is 2 reboots came up no IP set and then third with IP set).  I had done nothing but reboot (so no fiddling of config in between).  The piece de resistance was that I hung the device by opening up nmtui and going to the connection window.  That was a problem I was plagued with on the WIN32DiskImager burn version of distro and can now confirm it occurs on Etcher burnt distro.

The quirk with the nmtui that noticed was that, with the fresh Etcher burnt SD card, I used nmtui and the window was blue colour.  Now that the system has degraded the nmtui window opens white on black background with connection highlighted in yellow.  Exactly the same behaviour on WIN32DI burnt SD card.  So, the quirk seems that system is hanging in mid draw of nmtui connection window.

So, the behaviour seems characterised as a slow degrading of system over time that persists between reboots.  The IP dropout likely will flit in and out now, and then become permanent, as it did with WIN32DI burnt SD card.

I am going back to my device fragged (somehow) by expansion board.

I have two more OPiZ coming so I will try same process to built SD card, using Etcher, to see if there is a difference with board that haven't had expansion board inserted (originally I have a working device that would not boot once expansion board was inserted).

54 minutes ago, Asterion said:

That is, card erased and distro image burnt on SD, first boot into system, enter root then 1234, enter a new root password, goes away a few seconds and then the error comes up.

username: root

password: 1234

repeat the password: 1234

new password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

repeat new password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 6/23/2017 at 0:44 AM, Igor said:

username: root

password: 1234

repeat the password: 1234

new password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

repeat new password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yep, and as I said, at the point I expect to enter the new password, the error pops up.   So, I do not get to the point where I can type in the new password.

1 hour ago, Asterion said:

People who don't actually bother focusing on the issue waste my time.

Remind yourself that you are (ab)using free technical support, which is pure good will and cost of people that were trying the best to help you, even everything is already written in documentation. You should only read, accept and act but no ... 

We told you again here what the problem is and you insist that we are wrong. There are thousands of users which does not have this problem, which means problem, from our perspective, does not exists. We are discussion over the phantom problem and this is: pure waste of time. Case closed.

• Igor locked this topic
  • Igor unlocked this topic
On 6/25/2017 at 11:19 PM, martinayotte said:

If your SDCard is mounted as Read-Only because of some corruptions, then new password just entered is not save, therefore SDCard is unusable.

You have to re-write the SDCard with Etcher tool ...

Cheers, that speaks to the heart of the question.  Comes with explanation to help understanding.

@Asterionwould be great if you could mark the thread as solved and edit initial post with a simple one liner at the top so other people coming accross 'Authentication token manipulation' issues via Google get immediately that they also most probably just run in obscure SD card problems.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:37 AM, Igor said:

Remind yourself that you are (ab)using free technical support, which is pure good will and cost of people that were trying the best to help you, even everything is already written in documentation. You should only read, accept and act but no ... 

We told you again here what the problem is and you insist that we are wrong. There are thousands of users which does not have this problem, which means problem, from our perspective, does not exists. We are discussion over the phantom problem and this is: pure waste of time. Case closed.

Take your chill pill.  There was no abuse.  I did point out a fact though.  Emasculating was it?

And just a point on argument, if no one was having sporadic problems due to FS corruption then there was no need for Etcher.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:28 PM, tkaiser said:

@Asterionwould be great if you could mark the thread as solved and edit initial post with a simple one liner at the top so other people coming accross 'Authentication token manipulation' issues via Google get immediately that they also most probably just run in obscure SD card problems.

Yep, and unsolved again.  Looks like the problems are "haunting" the Echer burnt image as well.

• Igor changed the title to Authentication token manipulation error

How are you getting to the zero??? Putty ???? using switch ???  dhcp??? what router???

you can not use something like winscp or the like for first login

as we know the software works, need to start looking around at other things which may cause this

On 6/27/2017 at 9:48 AM, Asterion said:

Take your chill pill.  There was no abuse.  I did point out a fact though.  Emasculating was it?

And just a point on argument, if no one was having sporadic problems due to FS corruption then there was no need for Etcher.

Are you a child in the schoolyard looking for ways to taunt someone, or are you an adult?  I understand being frustrated with an issue, but your lack of basic manners is unacceptable.

As far as FS corruption: Win32DiskImager causes it.  It is a tool that is only used out of ignorance of superior options like Etcher.  Because of that, we do not support its use and automatically recommend the use of Etcher before we spend our time debugging issues that may simply be faulty SD card burning.  

Other common problems: garbage/counterfeit SD cards, inadequate power supply, etc.  Read the documents you were given a link to.

I also faced the same problem. I just mounted the SD card on a linux machine and edited the /etc/passwd file to remove the 'x' from line

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

and then it boots without asking for any password

Hello.
Yesterday orange pi prime tried to install two distributions (Debian and Ubuntu) downloaded from here: https://dl.armbian.com/orangepiprime/
all started, but I can not change the root password
This can be fixed, but for this I need to log into the system. And I can not enter the operating system, because I can not change the password.
What do i do? Are there already proven images?

to my regret, I'm not yet an experienced user of Linux systems.
But yesterday afternoon I did not download anything from the nightly directory (https://dl.armbian.com/orangepiprime/nightly/). It's empty there.
Images were downloaded directly from https://dl.armbian.com/orangepiprime
But today I see that the images have already been updated. I'll try to install fresh images tonight.
And I beg your pardon for my bad English. I use Google translator.

1 hour ago, nikx said:

Hello.
Yesterday orange pi prime tried to install two distributions (Debian and Ubuntu) downloaded from here: https://dl.armbian.com/orangepiprime/
all started, but I can not change the root password
This can be fixed, but for this I need to log into the system. And I can not enter the operating system, because I can not change the password.
What do i do? Are there already proven images?

enter old password first.

1 hour ago, nikx said:

but I can not change the root password

Two most common but rear problems: broken SD card or not paying attention. You log in with root, the password is 1234. Then it asks you for root password again, then you need to type the new password twice. In case of bad SD card/fs corruption, it usually does not allow you to change the password because fs is mounted read-only.

26 minutes ago, nikx said:

I tried again and again the same trouble

The filesystem on your SD card is most probably corrupted and already set to read-only. Please use 'Google site search' in the upper right corner and search for 'authentication token manipulation error'.

15 minutes ago, Flole said:

Looks more like wrong password entered to me as it doesn't even ask for a new password.

Tons of support questions dealt already with this, we have a search function here in the forum and if someone is using a wrong password it looks like this instead:

Permission denied, please try again.

Thank you all very much for helping me understand this.
On Russian-language Web resources it is recommended to use SD Formatter and Win32 Diskimage
I did as recommended there. Formatted the card and wrote down the recommendations of this portal and everything began to work fine.

56 minutes ago, nikx said:

SD Formatter and Win32 Diskimage

SD Formatter is not needed (only for one specific purpose no one knows about and uses -- search here for 'block erase') and Win32 DiskImager is a horrible tool since it does NOT verify what it tried to write and is the root cause of so much useless support troubles.

59 minutes ago, nikx said:

recommendations of this portal and everything began to work fine.

So what did you do differently now? Followed our documentation and used F3/H2testw to check your SD card and Etcher to burn it?

ahahahahahha had the same problem. even bought a new power supply and a new sd card BUT!!!!! oh shit... the first login ask to change the password and the prompt say "current password". here I failed to enter 1234 again!!!! so the trick is to type twice 1234 and then the new password... anyone need a 16gb sd card????

Hi, Aldolo is right it will fix the problem, In the the first login user name :  root, Password : 1234, when it prompting to change the password type "1234" as your password. 

Next it will prompt you to re-type the password then you can enter your desired password. Followed by another prompt to enter you desired password again:beer:

Edited by Sheriff Downey

• Igor pinned this topic