What does your workbench look like?

TonyMac32

Most of us probably do some electronics along with the small computers, I've been part of "what does you desktop look like?" threads (terrible, by the way), thought I'd put up (the electronics part of) my workbench:

I wasn't about to lie and clean it up before hand...

DSC_0762.JPG

This will proove I'm older than you .... but I still use my HP48sx from when I was in the University (as a side note I still works perfectly fine after more than 20 years) .....

I'll post a photo of my workbench soon ;)

yours is absolutely neat comparted to mine at the moment... pine64, orange pi zeros, rock64... arduinos, meters, parts boxes, heatsinks, nrf24L01 project boards, led matrixes... all strewn across two desks... plus a laptop or two and a tablet in there somewhere! :-O

Heh, I love looking at other people's workbenches, seeing all the cool toys and the minor oddities we all keep. Look, a pile of floppies and a torroidal transformer. My eye is drawn to the line of partly glimpsed objects at the top of the frame. My inner 5 year old would never have been able to resist the temptation to see what was in every box...

My own workbenches are just wildly embarrassing. I need to tidy. No, I need to excavate.

I see dust and overpriced coffee...  ;)

I have a 50G as part of having been an EE major.  The professors wouldn't support the TI hardware.  And, since I'd done assembly coding of an 8087 math co-processor, RPN made perfect sense to me right away...  :P  I also got the 50 and not the 49 because the 49 was complete garbage, quality wise.

35 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I see dust and overpriced coffee...  ;)

I have a 50G as part of having been an EE major.  The professors wouldn't support the TI hardware.  And, since I'd done assembly coding of an 8087 math co-processor, RPN made perfect sense to me right away...  :P  I also got the 50 and not the 49 because the 49 was complete garbage, quality wise.

When I was at University for EE we had to get HP48/49/50 for the RF design lectures because one of the professors wrote all his tools for them... now I mostly use an emulator on my phone to carry the HP50 around with me :P

Well, I have 3 mismatched monitors on my PC desk and a pile of crap, so not a bad showing.  ;-)  My "Mechanical" bench has the drill press and space for the band saw/etc, it's a straight up catastrophe right now.

workbnch.jpg

My default workstation. Soon it will be deserted on those small notebooks for summer time.

Usually there is, little but not much, random clutter around: papers, cables and boards. Core testing and debugging infrastructure is on the right side. Under the table I have two fix mounted and easy accessible USB powered hubs, which serves as powering and debug. Half ports have secured 1.5A per port. 14 ports in total, connected to server and shared around the network. Powering via extended USB3 hub proved to be enough in most cases, for rest and for special cases I use their original power supplies. which are somewhere below, differentiated with colours. Than there are 15 gigabit and 5 fast Ethernet ports and 2.4G AP. Since I am software developer first and tinkerer second, 40" of property is central point of interest. Sometimes it also get too small and also to avoid more cables, I have another fixed 19" in debug section. On the top of folder shelves I got an extremely low noise build server and another cabinet of electronics stuff. Lower left cabinet is place for small desktop computer and printer, while right side is filled with various parts, from cables, bigger boards, soldering equipment, hard drives, etc. Most of cables are hidden / embedded, to make this mess manageable. When I don't play with boards, I move cabinets in upper level and make use of whole table (minus keyboard and mouse).

What's ironic here is that it took an SBC board with only a shell for me to get the hang of RPN.  I *dig* it now.

I think I'm strange, but I try to *force* myself to use the unix BC or DC desk calculators.  Since I could never get the hang of rpn while in school, or with a friend's bitchin hp calculator, I finally tried DC and whaddya know!  I like rpn now - it makes sense.

Stranger still is just grooving on what was provided back in '69/70 basically by Bob Morris and Lorinda Cherry.  Whaddy'a know - it still works nice.  Practice makes perfect, and my finger-memory skills using bc or dc is getting better and better.

Sorry - had to get that out there.  Had to show some cow-orkers tending a redhat box who were all crying about not having a calculator around anywhere.  Showed 'em bc.  They thought I was some sort of unix super genius.  I laughed but kept quiet. :)