How to add Armbian H3 overlays

hanni76

Hello guys

I have a question regarding H3 overlays. I see that during build "overlay" folder is created in arch/arm/boot/dts  and H3 overlays are copied there. 

Can you point, please, where build framework takes those file from and how to customize this ? 

The goal here is to add an extra overlay.  I see that the structure is very similar to https://github.com/armbian/sunxi-DT-overlays but I can't find in build scripts if you copy files from there or any other repository. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ssuloev said:

Can you point, please, where build framework takes those file from

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun8i-dev/add-h3-overlays.patch

2 hours ago, ssuloev said:

how to customize this ? 

It's not customizable in a simple way (without adding or editing kernel patches). It should be possible to compile or copy precompiled overlays in "customize-image.sh"

1 hour ago, ssuloev said:

one more question: how can I add my overlay into armbianEnv.txt file in a resulting image automatically?

By using sed or echo in customize-image.sh

1 hour ago, ssuloev said:

what is meaning of line 

MODULES="8189es #w1-sunxi #w1-gpio #w1-therm #gc2035 #vfe_v4l2 #sunxi-cir"

in the file config/boards/*.conf ?

List of entries added to /etc/modules, in this case - for the default (legacy) kernel.

46 minutes ago, ssuloev said:

can you explain please how to add an extra module (i.e. wm8731 codec) module in legacy kernel ?

Sorry, activating third party hardware on legacy kernel is complicated since these drivers need palform data to specify I2C/SPI bus and audio routing parameters. As far as I know there is no ready to use solution for this or most of the other drivers.