Where to begin with external ADAU1979 on OLIMEX A20

Lista

I want to use an ADAU1979 with an olimex A20-Micro.  Needs to show up as a device in ALSA, alongside the in- built CODEC -

As far as I can see, this driver is in mainline kernel but I have no idea how to configure the kernel build to include it. Obviously we need to tell the system where its i2s/SPI interface is connected etc. 

Unsure which kernel version (legacy or mainline) to begin with. We do need a desktop environment and the olimex 10"/7" LCD to work also...

I am starting this from a position not having built a kernel or kernel modules before so If this idea is a non-starter, someone please tell me so. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lista said:

As far as I can see, this driver is in mainline kernel but I have no idea how to configure the kernel build to include it. Obviously we need to tell the system where its i2s/SPI interface is connected etc. 

https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-drivers/sound/adau1977

Unfortunately as I can see DT initialization (for the mainline kernel ) is implemented only on custom kernels (i.e. Raspberry Pi kernel), so there are no easy options, it's either porting patches from RPi kernel to current mainline, writing a small driver to initialize the existing one with platform data or adding platform data code to board specific initialization.

Thank you for the response.

I've read through some of the  docs today, trying to understand the details well enough to understand your answer. I am failing in this. Id appreciate if someone could explain furhter.

Is it possible to run the olimex 7"/10" RGB LCDs with Armbian Mainline? I cannot see definitive answer in the docs. I know that olimex images have a simple script to alter FEX? settings for display. How is this done in Armbian?

I'm going to start learning the process of building an image. Maybe I can then ask better questions...