Orange Pi Zero logout after password change

egesu

Hello,

I'm trying to install Armbian to my Orange Pi Zero. I tried stable (5.30), dev (5.30 and old (5.24 from January 2017) versions of Debian and stable version (5.30) of Ubuntu. They all have the same problem. I log in from ssh using root/1234. Then I get prompted for password change. I enter the old password, new password twice, then I get logged out without any error message. When I try to login again, the password is unchanged and same prompt screen.

I tried to write the images to my sdcard using dd, gnome disks, etcher. dd was not working at all, but the others have the problem I mention above.

I was worried if my sdcard is not so good because it was not a high quality one so I used f3 to test it. It was not so fast (write 1.6 MB/s, read 13.76 MB/s) but there was not any errors shown.

After the device booted, there is a red light blinking like a heartbeat. I do not know if it is a signal of problem?

I guess if I can log in to the device, I can use it as normal. So, is there any other way to change the password or disable first prompt from my Debian laptop?

20 minutes ago, egesu said:

I tried stable (5.30), dev (5.30 and old (5.24 from January 2017) versions of Debian and stable version (5.30) of Ubuntu. They all have the same problem.

If you tried several images and you always see the same symptoms it is already a good indication what the problem is. All OS images show the same behaviour you not being able to update the root password which indicates filesystem corruption (set to read-only). So the problem is most probably an inappropriate SD card and the solution is to buy a new good one (check the list).

2 hours ago, tkaiser said:

If you tried several images and you always see the same symptoms it is already a good indication what the problem is. All OS images show the same behaviour you not being able to update the root password which indicates filesystem corruption (set to read-only). So the problem is most probably an inappropriate SD card and the solution is to buy a new good one (check the list).

Yay! I just bought a sandisk ultra, and it started working! Thanks!