ASUS Tinker Board Reboot

TonyMac32

Alright, I've regenerated a kernel based on @TonyMac32 patch. The base patch doesn't work on MiQi, generating kernel panic during the reboot phase (´・ω・` ).

The new patch tries to resolve the issue :

https://github.com/Miouyouyou/RockMyy/blob/Tinkering/patches/kernel/v4.13/0005-Fugly-MMC-hack-trying-to-resolve-Tinkerboard-s-reboo.patch

https://github.com/Miouyouyou/RockMyy/tree/Tinkering

https://github.com/Miouyouyou/RockMyy-Build/tree/Tinkering

I just got back to my machine after some food.  ;-)  I am building the Armbian Dev kernel with the adjustments, I was hoping just making sure the pointers were good would solve it, hopefully we're right and the device-tree entry works properly.  I'm safe in assuming this kernel does not crash the MiQi?

@Myy  It worked!  I'll update the dev patch accordingly, and to be safe test on the 4.4 as well, I don't have the sysrq reboot done in there yet, I've been gun-shy due to the potential MiQi issues.

I tested within the Armbian build system, so I tested 4.12 (Armbian Next images are available to the public via download link, so they were my first priority).  I'll give the 4.13 a try shortly, although I see little reason it won't work, the problem all along apparently was the assumption the mmc shutdown would occur before the patched code was called.  Now it's explicitly commanded.

19 hours ago, Myy said:

There might a log=X in your current boot command line that defines another loglevel.

root@tinkerboard:~# uname -a
Linux tinkerboard 4.12.0-rc6-The-Twelve-MyyQi+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 30 19:37:05 UTC 2017 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

root@tinkerboard:~# cat /proc/cmdline
consoleblank=0 scandelay root=UUID=e8d35e52-8539-441f-be02-6161addf3bd3 rw console=ttyS2,115200n8 rootfstype=ext4 loglevel=7 rootwait 

Correct, while trying to get Kernel-Messages I changed this in boot.cmd :
from 1 to 7
setenv verbosity "7

I'll reverse that and see what happens.

/boot/boot.cmd
armbianEnv.txt
 --> setenv verbosity "1"

creates first a backup with timestamp - very useful ;)
cp /boot/boot.scr /boot/boot.scr.$(date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S) && mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

When I do a reboot now, with thinkerfix=on all I get is one line.

Just to make sure I haven't updated your Kernel for 2 or 3 days - I just tried to get Kernel-Messages on my UART !  This seems to me more useful than systemd for troubleshooting, right?

*High-Five*

I'm testing the 4.4 legacy kernel with the emergency patch, I added all the changes we made to it so as to protect the MiQi (And I think it's just smart).

I'll be working on 4.13 later today to get Dev set up.

:lol: I forgot to change the compatible line in the dts, so it didn't run the code.  Well, I guess that works. :rolleyes:

TonyMac32,

Reading this thread, I've noticed you fixed the "reboot" issue with this Rockchip processor. 

I have a Z-28 box, RK3328, and the reboot does not work. 

Could you describe how you fixed, maybe the problem on the Z-28 is the same, and I could try it.

Thanks, R

3 hours ago, Rosimildo said:

I have a Z-28 box, RK3328, and the reboot does not work.

There is a specific thread for the reboot issue, I will answer here for  now, perhaps an admin will move this reply and your question to the appropriate thread. 

I know nothing about the Z28 box, except that it makes me think of a Chevrolet Camaro  :lol:.  Only if that box is using the RK808 PMIC will this even potentially be applicable, I'm assuming you are speaking of the box rebooting from SD card hangs?  I would personally be careful, it's my understanding that the issue with the Tinker Board comes down to poor design, if it's based on a reference design than perhaps that issue is carried over to the TV boxes, which are usually just the reference design changed enough to make it even more unstable slapped in a cheap plastic shell.  If it isn't an issue, you'll find yourself hanging the kernel instead of just not rebooting.  Also note I added DT platform checks in there, as this "fix" would crash the MiQi.

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-default/120_workaround_tinker_board_reboot.patch

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-default/135_tinker_boot_fix.patch

Are links to the patches for kernel 4.4.  Similar patches exist for the current mainline (4.13 and 4.14 RC as of this post)

Edited by chwe
not an admin but done.. ;) (probably, a new topic in the TV-Box subforum should be opened for this issues if tinkerhacks doesn't fit... )