Le Potato - new board (S905X based) (crowdfunding)

Bubba

4 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Sounds good, the site reads like they have been here reading TK's post, saying all right stuff

And yet still using microUSB for powering.

In fact I don't see a single interesting feature (for me, don't know about the price compared to similar boards), just yet another Raspberry Pi "clone" which doesn't fit perfectly to any typical use case (multimedia, NAS, IoT, server, education, ...).

My opinion on this board (apart from that I see zero use cases for me): http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/06/30/libre-computers-le-potato-amlogic-s905x-development-board-goes-for-25-and-up-crowdfunding/#comment-543488

It looks like LoveRPi is somewhat involved which is a good sign but Micro USB to power the board is a no-go criteria anyway. Let's see how 'Le Fly' (another ROCK64 competitor) will look like soon but please skip support nightmares. 

Edit: Now read the Kickstarter page, it must be LoveRPI (since 'ssvb's cpuburn-a53' mentioned).

I was talking about the PR where he talks (sounds good) about sharing / giving all the docs, providing tech support bah bah..

Tell the masses what they want to hear and watch them to your bidding...

Huh, there are too many of those boards already, with zero basic support. This particularly is Android TV BOX PCB, without box, remote, wifi and nand, with older SoC, for the price of whole Android TV BOX. They make presentation with Android, this speak to me - no Linux support, so what would be the use case? I wonder, what those marketing strategies are all about? They claim to be Raspberry Pi competition, with some meaningless for real use, hardware specs (more USB bandwidth here), but doesn't have even 1% of Raspberry's support - drivers, documentation, etc.

The board doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.   That being said I just pledged lol.   Maybe because I like LoveRPi or maybe I'm just tired and thinking irrationally.

points of interest to me

• rpi form factor 
  • maybe h264 encoding that works
  • probably pretty rad for an android desktop in the garage

25 minutes ago, Tido said:

They show running benchmarks without details about the SoC temperature or clock speed (exclaimer I didn't watch the whole Video).

@lanefu with a bit of luck it won't get funded ;-)

lol!

now im curious how this plays out.

Screenshot_20170704-153707.png

I really feel like a vendor needs to align with the community and really give 100% to a single board and make it actually work.  Making new boards all over the place is just insane.  Although I kind of want to make "Le Turnip" or "Le Brussel Sprout".   Ooooh, maybe "Le Radish".

In all seriousness though, I'm glad chip vendors are getting the hint and beginning to actively open-source the software/support Linux.  I'm glad we're seeing people actually design things that are geared toward individual use.  I'm not sold that more than 10% of these boards are actually any good at anything though, especially considering the speed of release on most of them. 

Well, I got more disappointed looking at it carefully, I had initially thought one of the headers right next to the power in was a pin header for power.  Nope.  :'(

PS:  I apologize for any crazy typing issues, I'm getting used to a new laptop I got so I could escape my basement workstation while designing some hardware.

I don't understand why a lot of these boardmakers made their boards with a rpi formfactor. Most RPi cases are realy small. I think a lot of these more powerful boards will run into thermal issues cause average joe thinks that it's a good idea to have his board in such a case.

hmm I would call my borad TrumPi and use a orange circuit board, of course with a claimed 68 pinheader whereas only 58 are connected...:D

13 minutes ago, chwe said:

I don't understand why a lot of these boardmakers made their boards with a rpi formfactor.

Because they are trying to use the Raspberry Pi form factor and existing Raspberry Pi accessories (cases, peripherials, etc) to their advantage by declaring the mythical "Raspberry Pi compatibility", and they are obviously targeting the existing Raspberry Pi user base, or mostly people who are not happy with RPi pricing and performance.

IMO that makes somehow sense for the pinheader (although I do not like it). But where do you make the money? Selling boards? definitely not, there's too much competition, as long as every boardmaker claims that his SBC is an 'Eierlegende Wollmilchsau' (I'm native german speaking, means: all-in-one device suitable for every purpose, free translation: egg-laying wool-milk-sow). On a softwareside it's also hard as long as every big company port their stuff to RPi (e.g. Microsofts Embedded Learning Library or Tensor flow from google) seems that every bigger company is only interessted in RPi on a "lowbudget" side. So making some extra money by selling cheap 3d printed cases to the board seems IMO an easier way or they start to think about a use case:

• IoT (LiPo charge circuit, good gpio libraries from the beginning, RTC, wake-up possibility etc.)
  • Server (proper power management for connecting HDD, no idea what else the serverguys need :D)
  • Mediacenter (everything for hardware accelerated decoding)
  • etc

1 hour ago, chwe said:

'Eierlegende Wollmilchsau'

5 years learning German and 10 more working for German companies and I never learned that gem. :D

For the use case statement, if a board is geared to one of them it would be only "for" a subset of the intended audience, and will turn people away simply on that notion.  On the other hand, be equally garbage at everything and you'll sell better.

10 hours ago, chwe said:

hmm I would call my borad TrumPi and use a orange circuit board, of course with a claimed 68 pinheader whereas only 58 are connected...:D

7 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Don't use those board names, it willl change their behaviours every hours ... :lol:

Make the Raspberry Pi great again! :P

9 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

5 years learning German and 10 more working for German companies and I never learned that gem. :D

I'm proud to improve your german skills (sure it would sound funny to hear this from a native english speaker).:D

9 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

For the use case statement, if a board is geared to one of them it would be only "for" a subset of the intended audience, and will turn people away simply on that notion.  On the other hand, be equally garbage at everything and you'll sell better.

Let's be honest, for the average joe the RPi is the best solution. There's a lot of tutorials (good and also less recommended ones), it still works if you give a shit about proper powering (AJ doesn't expect that his board compeets against his i7 desktop). And he spends only 35$ (~5 beers in a pub here in switzerland :beer:) for playing some hours with it, before it ends as a dust collector. 

I like SBCs like the Helios 4 (seems that they really thought about an improved board for server use cases), or the pi zero (except the shitty wlan on it) and the NanoPi neo (e.g. IoT-server, printserver for non network capable printers). Also somehow the Asus Tinker could be a powerful mediacenter device (not sure how's looking on software side for this use case). I test it at the moment for a poor artist as a 'desktop replacement' (he needs gimp to prepare his pictures before he paint them on the canvas and in switzerland an Asus Tinker costs you ~40$ whereas a RPi costs you more on every shop without minimum order value).

But even intel failed to hijack the IoT market (stoped, Edison, Galileo and Joule). Samsungs artik series started with a cool concept but they saw, that it needs more time to build up a ecosystem (IMO as long as bluetooth is not mesh capable it doesn't make much sense for IoT, it was a smart move to implement ZigBee).  

2 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:
9 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Don't use those board names, it willl change their behaviours every hours ... :lol:

Make the Raspberry Pi great

#MtRpg  doesn't sound that smooth as maga. You should work on your marketing skills.. :P But the TrumPi (the follow-up SBC would be called covfefePi) will hit back, in WWE style, if you doesn't power it properly ore insert a shitty SD-Card. I'm sure @tkaiser would love it. :P

Patches are being pushed on patchwork for mainline support of Le Potato as promised on Kickstarter.  https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9845599/

At this rate it will have a better mainline device tree than the Tinker Board (Armbian's NEXT and DEV DTB's are my mashups using the 4.4 device tree from "ASUS" and the Rockchip Linux github)