Armbian for tv box Z28

Da Alchemist

On 11/19/2017 at 5:41 AM, Igor said:

My Z28 PRO is running Armbian using this method and our Rock Nightly image https://dl.armbian.com/rock64/Ubuntu_xenial_default_nightly.7z ... of course, fine-tuning is needed since I don't see ethernet nor Wifi, but luckily there is a screen and USB. http://sprunge.us/UeGE

Reveal hidden contents

entering_mask_rom.png

so igor, what do you think, what are the chances for a working distro with eth and wifi for z28 pro (11) within several months? thanx

5 hours ago, Blackie said:

Anyone tested "SCISHION V88 Piano" box? https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_1064854.html

Gigabit ethernet, 4GB ram, nice thermal case design, DRM widevine level 1, ... seems to me like a nice RK3328 box.

The smaller SCISHION box is booting from the card, not sure about this one.

Where do you find information that it supports Widevine Level 1,  what about HDCP-1.x or 2.x???  I don't see any reference for that.  As far as I know, the only inexpensive Chinese boxes that supports Widevine Level 1 and HDCP 1.x is boxes from VideoStrong (Mecool).

Anyone tested "SCISHION V88 Piano" box? https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_1064854.html
Gigabit ethernet, 4GB ram, nice thermal case design, DRM widevine level 1, ... seems to me like a nice RK3328 box.
The smaller SCISHION box is booting from the card, not sure about this one.
please provide review of the tv box

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

On 11/19/2017 at 11:41 AM, Igor said:

My Z28 PRO is running Armbian using this method and our Rock Nightly

thx @Igor for testing armbian's image.

I see that it's using ayufan's kernel source, from what i know his rock64 images have working ethernet on z28 pro, something different in the kernel config or dts ?

Also if i wanted to build armbian rock64 against my z28 pro dts, full disassembled dts not dtsi includes (available in this thread), how would i go about that ?

On 11/24/2017 at 2:33 PM, Blackie said:

Anyone tested "SCISHION V88 Piano" box?

I also have spotted that box, haven't found any tests so far.
If i'm correct you should be able to use SDMMC0 (boot sd card slot) along with the GMAC interface, Alfawise decided for some reason not to use it, that's why you can't boot from sdcard on their box..

5 minutes ago, mdel said:

Also if i wanted to build armbian rock64 against my z28 pro dts, full disassembled dts not dtsi includes (available in this thread), how would i go about that ?

I didn't get this far yet. I have system on eMMC now, can boot from it and (only) waiting in the corner :) Busy with other stuff.

ok, i was more asking if it's a complicated process to get armbian to build a kernel source against a different dts file.

i don't know armbian internals but found that some scripts like rk3328-default/packaging-4.x-with-postinstall-scripts.patch or other DT patche files, do a lot of manipulation of dtb "stuff"..  i known there's a detailed armbian documentation and will take a look at it.

alternatively if it's easier, maybe simply try to reuse the android dtb, but i don't know much about rockchip, it was simple enough with amlogic and boot scripts..

Guys I'm with you! Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge of linux to help you ( 

I have Z28 PRO RLT8211e + RTL8822bs no sd boot

I try https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/ rock64 image and found out that from version 0.5 eth does not work.  looks like  ayufan remove external phy support. 

Do not forget that rockchip has https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkdeveloptool this util can write\read partition\loader\gpt table via maskrom

igor

did you get hdmi output after flashing armbian? i followed zet-labs procedures carefully and got red led and no hdmi output. so it does not seem that it worked for my alfawise z28 pro v11... i don't know what (if anything) i am doing wrong...

here is the output... do you see anything wrong?

./flash_tool.sh -c rk3328 -p system -i image/Armbian_5.34.171121_Rock64_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.4.77.img
PARTITIONS OFFSET: 0 sectors.
Downloading bootloader succeeded.
Write LBA from file (100%)
Reset Device OK.

15 minutes ago, exquisitus said:

igor

did you get hdmi output after flashing armbian? i

Yes, I do - sometimes boot stops and you don't get a prompt ... haven't dug into it yet. Successful boot takes 6-8s. Then it's possible to log in with a USB keyboard.

Finally received my SCISHION V88 Piano box.  I was able to burn the DietPi image for Rock64 to a micro SD card, place it in the micro SD slot, apply power and it booted up to a login.  The ethernet showed up as eth0 but I couldn't connect to anything.  Wireless also wasn't working.  I'm not sure what else is broken.

1 hour ago, rob0809 said:

Finally received my SCISHION V88 Piano box.  I was able to burn the DietPi image for Rock64 to a micro SD card, place it in the micro SD slot, apply power and it booted up to a login.  The ethernet showed up as eth0 but I couldn't connect to anything.  Wireless also wasn't working.  I'm not sure what else is broken.

Thank you very much Rob for reporting. It's still not bad result for a start, booting from SD card seems to be a problem on many other boxes.

I hope some developers could help to resolve the ethernet issues in the future.

Can you test whether USB 3 port is working full speed?

19 hours ago, Blackie said:

Thank you very much Rob for reporting. It's still not bad result for a start, booting from SD card seems to be a problem on many other boxes.

I'll test it when I get time.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:40 PM, Blackie said:

Would appreciate insight into ^^ questions. I've also ordered SCISHION V88 to test out.  

Maybe Rob could also test GbE in Android? I was testing another box recently (S905), where the "supposed to be GbE" port doesn't work at all inside Android nor Linux. Link established, IP received from DHCP, but nothing more works. 

On 14/7/2017 at 5:35 PM, Da Alchemist said:

Some Time ago I bought a cheap Z28 TV Box fromGearbest for 27€. I was curious about this chip after I saw a Picture of the Rock64 here on Armbian.  When I first connected the Box it only comes up with 720p Resolution, far away from 4K at all.

Some other things happened, Rock64 was send to Devs and Developement seems to become more and more Stable, so it tried to check Ayufans Android Image on this Box. I got me the Android Tools and flashed the Image to the box on a Windows Machine . Adroid came up without Network, (as expected) but seeing this Image Booting made me thnking of trying the a Desktop Image on this Box.

The Android Image can be flashed via Android Tools, but not the Linux Image. To make the Box boot from SDCard it has to be Set to Maskrom Mode. This could be easily done with the Android Tool.

1. Start the Android Tool on Windows

2. Go to Upgrade Firmware

3. Load some Firmware for this Box (the one from Ayufan or some of the originals..)

4. Plug a Male to Male USB Cable to the OTG Port of this Box, while Pressing the Reset Button for ca. 5s

5. Now go to "Erase Flash" , Done the Box is now in MaskRom Mode..

Just like always prepare a SD Card with an Image and watch Ubuntu comig up on this Cheapo.

I am writing now from this Box and even this is an early Stage of Developement, it looks very promising. (Just found that "Take Screenshots" is not working...)

i can't put it on maskrom mode... it says waiting for maskrom mode fail...

On 1/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, fossxplorer said:

@rob0809, wonder how your box is coming along with Linux while i'm early waiting for my boxes to arrive. ;)

Sorry, I haven't had much time to play with it over the holidays.  Maybe in the new year.

Just installed this image based on armbian burning it to internal emmc using 

sudo ./flash_tool.sh -c rk3328 -p system -i image/ioBroker_Image_Rock64_20171211_xenial.img 

I connected to youtube using my mobile as a usb modem.

It seems to have hw acceleration, at least youtube videos play way better than ayufan images. I got to install xubuntu-destop as it comes with no desktop. This image is made by a german company named iobroker over the armbian beta for rock64. Cinnamon or Unity does not complain about software rendering, ethernet seems unconfigured.

Remove nodejs and everything on the /opt/iobroker folder.

Check it

http://www.iobroker.net/docu/?p=7736&lang=en

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Installed in a z28 Pro,  Q7L17021280349 2G+16G SSV6501

so that is a clone known on 4pda as "cheapified"/"cheapened" or whatever?

possibly what r1kaomsk here refers to as

[5] Cheaper 2 Z28 Pro (Cheaper 2 Alfawise Z28 Pro):

Can't boot from micro SD. (not sure)

3 USB ports (1 x USB3, 1 x OTG) (not sure)

WiFi provided by ssv6051.

PCB marked as "XJH-Q7L-V00".

do you think this will work on an original z28 pro v11?

anyway please post detailed instructions.

Tried with ioBroker image and it booted up on my first attempt, WOW! This is the first box to boot on my first attempt.

USB mouse and keyboard work, but there are error messages related to the GbE i think:

stmmac_open hw setup failed + some DMA setup failures

'ip a' shows an interface named eth0, but 'ethtool eth0' gives some errors as well.

Kernel version is 4.4.77-rk3328.

Now if we can get the ethernet to work and USB3 (not yet tested), this is gonna rock! :beer:

Edit1: Some images of the issues for debugging purposes:

https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/ycA9lCC1yQSFIH2

Edit2: USB3 seems to be working as i get ~90MB/s for reads with a USB memory drive. :D

Now only the ethernet is not working so i hope we can find a pay to patch it.

Still waiting early to get started with my Ceph home lab with these!

Hi guys,

As I see the subject of the topic was about the Aflawise Z28 pro Box with 2 GB RAM / 16 GB ROM and 1GBE. So could someone please update the current situation and tell how it is going or especially why it's more difficult to use the SD-card with this device.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: Hey guys, I found some Linux-Loaders for all Rockchip devices (RK3229, RK3328 and others). Maybe it helps you to find a good way to improve our devices

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/MQhd79D5/file.html