DosBox on H3 board - a way tooo slow (scaling)

greenais

Hi guys,

I wonder if someone could point me in the proper direction, got stuck with DosBox performance for several days already(
Orange Pi+2e, legacy Mali supported (AFAIK) Ubuntu image, DosBox 0.74 and old good DOS games like C&C, Doom, UFO, Red Alert etc.

I have tried all reasonable settings combinations in DosBox config - output, render, scaling, all with no good - performance almost isn't playable even with normal2x scaling(
I was quite sure that legacy image should provide to DosBox some standard interface for hardware rendering/scaling support (with opengl, probably), but it seems to be wrong.

Or the problem is on DosBox side?

Do I expect too much from (well-supported in terms of Mali capabilities) H3 board or there is something I miss in setup/settings/approach?

Googling brought some mentions of "Dosbox GLES version" in RetroOrangePi distro, which probably supports hardware scaling, but I couldn't find any ways to install it in our legacy Ubuntu.

Any help is highly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I'm running RetrOrangePi on OPi PC+, (512GB RAM vs 2GB RAM) and I can easily run way more intensive ROMS (N64, PS1, etc...) without fault. Have been doing so for quite some time on top of other custom scripts and while loops. Personally this tells me it's an issue with DOSBox. I assume its meant for linux, not like Retr(Arch)Opi is meant for ARM architecture.

My suggestion? Stop what you're doing. It's been done. I don't know how you would install RetrOpi ontop of an existing kernel (can you even do that? [if you do, document it!]) so just commit to downloading that image.  

Direct link copy/pasted from their website for OPi+2e board: http://www.retrorangepi.org/images/3.0.1/RetrOrangePi-3.0.1.Orangepiplus2e.tar.gz

Run doom (included by default last time I checked) and hit up it's ScummVM emulator for Red Alert and other PC Roms. (I'm currently revisiting SpyFox in: Dry CerealThen, w/e you're using legacy Armbian for, install/setup and do that after the fact. From your post is sounds like emulation/roms is the priority sooo... why not use the emulation station/lib retro/armbian utility designed for that purpose? Otherwise, justify why you need a different kernel (legacy) setup more than that. :D Good luck.

On 02.08.2017 at 5:09 AM, StuxNet said:

... and hit up it's ScummVM emulator for Red Alert and other PC Roms

Thank you for pointing me to RetroPie stuff, didn't pay attention that it's quite mature thing, shame on me.

I installed ROPI and found that dosbox-es there isn't usable at all -  Red Alert, UFO even Doom lag as a hell(

Replacing dosbox executable with non-es one improved situation to at least the level which I had vithout es, but with no scaling again.

You mentioned RA at ScummVM, but goodling didn't get any traces of such ROM there, point and click adventuring games only...
Could you please point me in the right direction?