[Cubox/Hummingb.1] Suddenly no ssh conn., no video output but seems to boot

trohn_javolta

Question

Until yesterday my humminboard 1 i2ex worked without any flaws.

Now after a restart I cannot access it via ssh anymore.

I thought the Ip adress my have changed somehow cause I also restarted my router but it under active clients in router webif either.

Also no video output via hdmi...guess that's normal since it's a debian server image.

What I can see is the uboot showing up the count down, just quick, I could read ..wrong image format..and something with source.. that's it.

Then screen turns black.

I have the rootfs on msata ssd and if I remember correctly I removed all other unnecessary files from micro sd card many month ago.

Is there any keyboard combination to get output of a console or something via hdmi?

9 answers to this question

17 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Do you have any USB-Serial dongle connected to debug ?

No, I don't really know how this works.. Would I need an adapter from usb to serial? And then...to pc?...

Could I get output by adding console=tty1 to the armbianEnv.txt file?

I didn't find time 'til now, I'm gonna look into it this weekend.

I just hope it's no kernel panic :unsure: ..had these before using archlinux on that thing.

@trohn_javolta What you'd need is re USB-Serial is basically this. If you're in the US, and prefer Adafruit, grab the serial to TTL cable they sell, but otherwise, something like the one I linked should work.  There will be some pins on the board somewhere (not familiar with that particular board) that you plug three of the wires in to be able to interact with the board via a serial console (so no display, keyboard, etc needed on the board itself).

SD card failure is possible in this case since even you have installed a system to SSD, u-boot, boot script and kernel remain on / are loaded from SD card. With each update, there are writings to SD card. Enough to kill it after a certain time. Recent Hummbingboards 2 (rev. 1.4 +) support booting directly from eMMC/m2 SATA/USB.

Without seeing logs, we can only guess.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

SD card failure is possible in this case since even you have installed a system to SSD, u-boot, boot script and kernel remain on / are loaded from SD card. With each update, there are writings to SD card. Enough to kill it after a certain time. Recent Hummbingboards 2 (rev. 1.4 +) support booting directly from eMMC/m2 SATA/USB.

Without seeing logs, we can only guess.

Yeah..I also could prepare another SD Card and copy the armbianEnv.txt from the old SD Card to have it "point to" the msata ssd.

Do you think that would work?... This way I would be able to determine if its a SD card failure.

51 minutes ago, trohn_javolta said:

Yeah..I also could prepare another SD Card and copy the armbianEnv.txt from the old SD Card to have it "point to" the msata ssd.

Do you think that would work?... This way I would be able to determine if its a SD card failure.

Yes, it should work. Just double check/compare boot.cmd and armbianEnv.txt to make sure you adjusted everything.

7 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes, it should work. Just double check/compare boot.cmd and armbianEnv.txt to make sure you adjusted everything.

Well... booting with new sd card i get this output:

IMG_20170804_201652.thumb.jpg.27df64b704c4fa889e9bd3b091d8b039.jpg

I checked the UUID, it's correct.

Next I ran armbian from sd card, msata ssd is still connected, and blkid does not show me anything:

IMG_20170804_203928.thumb.jpg.249392c0a4557cedc53ed55041d08be3.jpg

Hmm.. maybe the ssd got messed up somehow? Now I'm thinking of hooking the ssd up to my pc and run fsck, does anyone have a better idea?

:( The msata ssd is not recognized at all anymore.. I also put it in my sata enclosure and tried it on my pc...nothing, not showing up. My last hope is the application testdisk.

Good thing, the sata-nand install script didn't work when I started to use armbian, so I pretty much set everything up on sd card. Also good thing that the script didn't delete stuff on my sd card afterwards so now I only have minor things missing.

Besides that once again I did not backup my stuff...which was stupid :(

I once used an application called rsnapshot that can make scheduled backups using rsync. It was a bit of work to set it up, maybe this could be included in the softy area in the armbian-config script sometime in the future...would be great... Like with some predifined setting: choose place to backup and done.

Can I close this thread somehow? Since it has nothing to do with armbian itself, this is a fantastic and rock solid distribution!