PcDuino 3 with hardware acceleration support/watching movies without stuttering?

Niklas

Hi all. I have been doing some interesting reading here. Thank you that you started this project. I saw it already in 2014 I think when I bought my Pcduino 3 Version A but I wasn't sure back there if this project was for real.

The reason why I bought Pcduino3 in the first place was an idea of a media client/server so I could hook it up to my TV and watch youtube and or Netflix and maybe have a little ftpserver on it so I can transfer my favorite tv shows to it (I currently live in germany but I do not speak/understand it fluently and all tv channels here and in german :() and watch them comfortably on the sofa (my back hurts if I sit too long by PC),  and a small webserver on it as a playground or testing for different smaller webserver projects (PHP/MYSQL).  But I was not satisfied with Linksprites Ubunty distro and I installed Arch Linux on it. But this is where it all stopped for me and in Arch I could not watch even a single youtube video or any kinda of video for that matter without heavy stutter or "video lag" as I call it. The same was happening in Linksprite distro Ubunty so eventually I gave up with the idea. Now I would like to give it some try again and I need your help/guidence.

I have read all the links and infos on linksprites site about pcduino 3 and kompiled my "own" Arch Linux for Pcduino 3. I have also updated Arch to the latest kernel. Please help me or provide me with links in how to do the following.

Compile own kernel with support for video hardware acceleration on Pcduino 3 as well as drivers for the Mali 400 graphic card if that is even possible? On this link http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_Kernel they are stating that "older" unsupported 3.4 linux kernel version is needed for hardware accelerated video. 

Kernel versions

Parts of the sunxi SoC are already supported by mainline kernel 3.8 and onwards.

In case you need support for e.g. display, 3D, hardware accelerated video decoding and audio support (for A10/A20), you should can check out the sunxi-3.4 or stage/sunxi-3.4 branch as this will get the most out of your hardware quickly. But beware that this is already obsolete and unmaintained.

The current Kernel that is runing on Pcduino 3 is:

uname -a
Linux pcduino-alarm 4.9.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 20:34:49 MST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

PS. This is the original post I made in the "old" Linkpsrite forum. They just reposted it in the new forum.

http://forum.linksprite.com/index.php?/topic/3795-trying-to-run-archlinux-from-nand/?hl=arch

Also if I would use Armbian is there any difference between Armbian and Arch? I mean in distro packages /software and so on.

I would like to add that I am not new to linux, but I am not sure I understand SBCs yet. The first linux I ever used/tested was Red Hat 5.2. Please provide me with some links or guides how to do this.

Thank you in advance, Nick.