"Ethernet driver needs some fixing"

pbraun

Hi,

On the download page of Tinker board "Ethernet driver needs some fixing" is listed as known issue.

Are there any details about? What is the problem with the ethernet? Who should fix it? (Asus, armbian) Are there any plans for fixing it?

I'm asking it, because I would like to use my tinker board as a headless 24/7 home cloud.

Thank you!

On 1/4/2018 at 4:10 PM, uwuertz said:

TEMP SOLVED: Had the same issue with Tinker; my switch is a Netgear. Tinker was frozen during RSYNC backup. Switched from 1000 to 100M Full on switchside, not perfect but it works.

Did you get any error messages/logs indicating what was happening?  I am currently streaming data into and out of the device, but can't seem to get it to freeze, indeed this seems a rare issue so any info you have would be helpful.

22 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:
Did you get any error messages/logs indicating what was happening?  I am currently streaming data into and out of the device, but can't seem to get it to freeze, indeed this seems a rare issue so any info you have would be helpful.

in which logfile would I find such errors. I can still produce a freeze by working actively on NFS shares mounted via v4 from my synology NAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take a look at the dmesg if possible, I don't think this would be logged anywhere else.  I have wireshark staring at mine while I try to get it to freeze to see if anything strange happens on the network itself, so stay posted

I would take a look at the dmesg if possible, I don't think this would be logged anywhere else.  I have wireshark staring at mine while I try to get it to freeze to see if anything strange happens on the network itself, so stay posted

I couldn't find any errors so in order to identify the root cause I switched my NFS v4 share to Samba v2 and can't get the Tinkerboard to crash anym. In other words it appears to be an issue with the NFS client and not the ethernet driver. Presumably not too many people are using NFS anymore so some issues survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the rx/tx delay been tuned on the Tinkerboard? Since we did that for Pine64/Rock64 most of the GbE issues have gone away. Ayufan made an automated script that uses configfs/dt-overlays to iterate through all the values without rebooting each time, based on tkaiser's scripts... 

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/tree/master/recipes/gmac-delays-test

This resulted in a small patch that did wonders for GbE performance:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10178969/

Worked both for BSP and mainline...