Orange Pi Zero Plus / H5 Chip

kris777

18 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Why are we trying to use 672 or 648 MHz in the first place?

Because "we" are using upstream configs that weren't added by us and start to patch it only when we encounter instabilities.

18 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

I don't want to force any fixes upstream since IMO that's just a waste of time.

OK, then I don't see anything that needs further discussion. You can set it to 624 if you want.

12 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

"we" are using upstream configs that weren't added by us and start to patch it only when we encounter instabilities.

Hmm... but "we" (Armbian devs) can not test for instabilities (since sample size way too small) and users will not report 'DRAM reliability' issues but problems that sound exactly like our favourite issues which we can't influence (powering problems and SD card crappiness).

Just as a reference (not meant to encourage further discussion but for commit message) http://linux-sunxi.org/Orange_Pi_PC#DRAM_clock_speed_limit. 24 devices participating, 5 not working reliably at 672 MHz but only at 648 MHz max. That's more than 20% failure rate and justifies switching to the next lower possible value since performance differences are negligible while affected reliability should be the real concern.

4 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

"we" (Armbian devs) can not test for instabilities (since sample size way too small)

We can test for instability but in order to get a definitive max stable value we would need to test more boards than we have. We can say that 672MHz is not stable but we can't say for sure whether 624 or 648 should be used instead (since 624 is safer but 648 is higher)

As a user and not a dev, I'd like to add that I'd much prefer that a distro be stable than faster-and-unstable.  For an experienced user, I know I can fiddle with these values and characterize the abilities of *my* particular boards if I want to take the time.  For an unexperienced user, an increased chance--howerver small--of the software making my hardware unstable is unacceptable as I'm likely already chasing a bunch of problems of my own creation--the aforementioned SD and power problems being primary amongst them.

That's my long way of saying, please choose 624.

Received my zero plus, expansion board and case today. Put it all together (had to dremel the Ethernet case opening to make it fit) and then apt update / upgrade, configured wireless then ran a perf3 test to my server achieving 894Mb. Typed 'armbianmonitor -m' and was already at 88C. Shutdown and felt the temp of the case and SD - obviously bloody hot.

8 hours ago, pbezza said:

Received my zero plus, expansion board and case today. Put it all together (had to dremel the Ethernet case opening to make it fit) and then apt update / upgrade, configured wireless then ran a perf3 test to my server achieving 894Mb. Typed 'armbianmonitor -m' and was already at 88C. Shutdown and felt the temp of the case and SD - obviously bloody hot.

If under stress and inside a box without a heatsink, this seems normal.

http://sprunge.us/YEdV

Stressing CPU + IO + network with few short breaks ... open-air, ambient is around 20° + 20x20mm heatsink:

opizeropls-temp.png

opizeropls.png

@tkaiser, @Igor: Your answers, articles and blogs are very helpful! Many thanks! 

Is the Orange Pi Zero Plus too new for a beginner like me (since I can't attach a monitor in a simple manner)? Or should I give it a try? No huge investment, except time ;)

Currently I do prefer the option to install https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizeroplus/Debian_stretch_next_nightly.7z. It is my understanding that I have to put this at first on the mircoSD card properly, according to https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card - correct?

The Orange Pi Zero Plus (OPI0+) will be connected directly to a router/switch (Fritz!Box) via LAN.

Is it the most convenient way to use LAN together with PuTTY? As described here (for instance): http://lucsmall.com/2017/01/19/beginners-guide-to-the-orange-pi-zero/

What is the most convenient way to install OMV subsquently - using the Armbian configuration utility?

But: How to access the config screens (shown on the github web page armbian-config) without having a monitor attached to the OPI0+?

With x11vnc?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install x11vnc

x11vnc -usepw -forever -display :0

... and using e.g. UltraVNC on the Windows PC

With xrdp?

sudo apt-get purge realvnc-vnc-server

sudo apt-get purge vnc4server
sudo apt-get purge  tightvnc
sudo apt-get purge xrdp

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

sudo apt-get install xrdp

HOW to start xrdp on the OPI0+ remotely with PuTTY?

... and using a Remote Desktop Connection on the Windows PC (command 'mstsc')

AND HOW to start the desktop (scratch) 'output' via PuTTY on the Orange Pi Zero Plus? Or is it always turned on, even no display is foreseen?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Joe

5 minutes ago, Joe_PS said:

@tkaiser, @Igor: Your answers, articles and blogs are very helpful! Many thanks! 

Is the Orange Pi Zero Plus too new for a beginner like me (since I can't attach a monitor in a simple manner)? Or should I give it a try? No huge investment, except time ;)

Currently I do prefer the option to install https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizeroplus/Debian_stretch_next_nightly.7z. It is my understanding that I have to put this at first on the mircoSD card properly, according to https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card - correct?

The Orange Pi Zero Plus (OPI0+) will be connected directly to a router/switch (Fritz!Box) via LAN.

Is it the most convenient way to use LAN together with PuTTY? As described here (for instance): http://lucsmall.com/2017/01/19/beginners-guide-to-the-orange-pi-zero/

What is the most convenient way to install OMV subsquently - using the Armbian configuration utility?

But: How to access the config screens (shown on the github web page armbian-config) without having a monitor attached to the OPI0+?

With x11vnc?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install x11vnc

x11vnc -usepw -forever -display :0

... and using e.g. UltraVNC on the Windows PC

With xrdp?

sudo apt-get purge realvnc-vnc-server

sudo apt-get purge vnc4server
sudo apt-get purge  tightvnc
sudo apt-get purge xrdp

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

sudo apt-get install xrdp

HOW to start xrdp on the OPI0+ remotely with PuTTY?

... and using a Remote Desktop Connection on the Windows PC (command 'mstsc')

AND HOW to start the desktop (scratch) 'output' via PuTTY on the Orange Pi Zero Plus? Or is it always turned on, even no display is foreseen?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Joe

All you need is a micro USB cable which acts as a serial console and a power cable. Plug it into USB3 port of your computer and login via newly created serial console or via SSH/network. You can use Putty or similar.

You don't need to install anything and you certainly don't want to run a desktop+VNC on this board.

35 minutes ago, Igor said:

All you need is a micro USB cable which acts as a serial console and a power cable. Plug it into USB3 port of your computer and login via newly created serial console or via SSH/network. You can use Putty or similar.

You don't need to install anything and you certainly don't want to run a desktop+VNC on this board.

@Igor: Thanks! Sorry, I haven't mentioned essential information: On top of Armbian I want to install and run OMV together with the miniDLNA plugin on the OPi0+.  At the OPi0+ I want to attach an existing 'old' external USB 2.0 hard drive (2 TB, Western Digital WDBAAU0010HBK-01). This combination should be a mini-NAS, running a very energy-efficient music server to store and stream mainly flac files (mostly to a network AV receiver).

How can I install OMV on top of Armbian via PuTTY? And access the Armbian-config utility? (Maybe I still haven't got it yet , sorry :unsure: ...)

Regards,

Joe

Ok, sounds very simple. As mentioned, I plan to install https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizeroplus/Debian_stretch_next_nightly.7z, do what you described,  and finally key in 'armbian-config' ... and thereafter the armbian-config screens will be displayed? And I can control these screens via PuTTY? (Never heard/read this before). --> That seems to be doable for newbies like me :) Let's purchase a OPi0+ today ...

@Joe_PS PuTTY is a piece of software that you use to connect to a remote computer, and access a terminal prompt (or a desktop GUI using X11 forwarding). You can use a serial connection (the simplest and most direct), and then later SSH over a network once the device is setup if you wish. You'll basically have a terminal/console prompt, and will be controlling the device as if you had a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it. So yes, you'll be able to type in 'armbian-config' and then use the keyboard to navigate the menus and install OMV via the software packages section. 

I've modified my case in order to mount a 40mm fan externally and secured it with blackmax. Also attached a heatsink. Found some bash scripting to enable the fan at a desired temp but am not sure about the wiringOP setup for this board.

@Igor Today I did get my OPi Zero Plus (not OPi Zero Plus2 with HDMI).

I did install the image Armbian_5.34.171121_Orangepizeroplus_Debian_stretch_next_4.13.14.7z which installed fine.

Ethernet was working without problems. See lightning Ethernet-port at the 2nd picture :)

Spoiler

root@orangepizeroplus:~# dmesg |grep -i net
[    0.173036] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    1.282800] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    1.283780] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    1.567797] audit: initializing netlink subsys (disabled)
[    1.581289] NET: Registered protocol family 38
[    1.621266] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: PTP uses main clock
[    1.789509] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[    1.789878] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    1.800449] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    1.800548] 9pnet: Installing 9P2000 support
[    1.812542] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: PTP uses main clock
[    1.812648] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: Will use external PHY
[    1.920285] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: Chain mode enabled
[    1.920290] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: No HW DMA feature register supported
[    1.920294] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: Normal descriptors
[    1.920299] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: RX Checksum Offload Engine supported
[    1.920303] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: COE Type 2
[    1.920307] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet: TX Checksum insertion supported
[    5.407322] RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet stmmac-0:01: attached PHY driver [RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:01, irq=-1)
[    5.408979] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet eth0: No MAC Management Counters available
[    5.408993] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[    5.409217] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[    8.480990] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[    8.481035] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   10.324306] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   11.544815] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   11.833436] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

Then I did configure a static IP and did apt update & upgrade to:

ARMBIAN 5.37.171220 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.7-sunxi 

Linux opi-zeroplus 4.14.7-sunxi64 #54 SMP Tue Dec 19 13:42:36 CET 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Now it seems that the OPi Zero Plus is missing his Ethernet-device like the NanoPi Neo2  - some days ago.

[EDIT] any maybe also WLAN0 - because after the update I didnt had it seen anymore also like eth0
Maybe - because this is also a H5 device - the OPi Zero neeeds the same patch as the NanoPi Neo2?:

Because I also used gain my good USB-Ethetnet device the data of the system will hopefully be uploaded (little error-msg):

root@opi-zeroplus:~# armbianmonitor -u
System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to /usr/bin/armbianmonitor: line 813: [: -gt: unary operator expected
http://sprunge.us/MRje

BTW: the little black cube case from the OPi Zero wont fit the OPi Zero Plus because of the bigger Gigabit-Ethnet-MagJack :(
Only if you do cut the case :)

Case_fit.jpg

OPi_ZeroPlus_black_Cube_cut.jpg

1 hour ago, Igor said:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/8be38fc4a0c619d0204a78f3fecaab3c7cf8d233
It works now but forget to check wlan0

Thanks!

Beta repository updated with this fix.

Thanks also to you :) after defreeze and apt update & upgrade
ARMBIAN 5.37.171221 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.8-sunxi64

Linux opi-zeroplus 4.14.8-sunxi64 #68 SMP Thu Dec 21 12:52:19 CET 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

eth0 and wlan0 is available:

root@opi-zeroplus:~# ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.6.98  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.6.255

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 12:01:23:9c:8f:43  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)

On 21/12/2017 at 8:18 PM, guidol said:

4.14.8-sunxi64

hello,

Trying last kernel, 4.14.8-sunxi64, I am getting a very poor network throughput, only 3.98MB/s via samba.... Before that, I got 30MB/s ( via samba with my USB 2.0 HDD as bottleneck ).
 Furtheremore, I see a max CPU Freq at 812Mhz ( before 1Ghz ) and very high temperatures at idle... Perhaps CPU Freq Scaling is not fully implemented. I am very excited with this little board and I am sure
 I am going to see some improvements soon. I had been using an Orange pi One with armbian for one year very happy. This board, Orange Pi Zero Plus, is my gigabit upgrade as NAS. Great distro armbian!!

Thank you armbain-team!

Best Regards

On 2/1/2018 at 9:59 AM, Jota79 said:

hello,

Trying last kernel, 4.14.8-sunxi64, I am getting a very poor network throughput, only 3.98MB/s via samba.... Before that, I got 30MB/s ( via samba with my USB 2.0 HDD as bottleneck ).
 Furtheremore, I see a max CPU Freq at 812Mhz ( before 1Ghz ) and very high temperatures at idle... Perhaps CPU Freq Scaling is not fully implemented. I am very excited with this little board and I am sure
 I am going to see some improvements soon. I had been using an Orange pi One with armbian for one year very happy. This board, Orange Pi Zero Plus, is my gigabit upgrade as NAS. Great distro armbian!!

Thank you armbain-team!

Best Regards

Hello again,

New kernel, new news. I am getting very good network throughput again with last kernel 4.14.10-sunxi64. I am getting 30MB/s transfer speed with my config, via samba with an USB 2.0 HDDD as bottleneck. Great!! 

@Igor is that normal behaviour? :

update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-4.14.10-sunxi64
Removing obsolete file uInitrd-4.14.10-sunxi64

Unpacking linux-u-boot-orangepizeroplus-next (5.37.180106) over (5.37.171231) ...
Setting up linux-image-next-sunxi64 (5.37.180106) ...
Setting up linux-u-boot-orangepizeroplus-next (5.37.180106) ...
Setting up linux-dtb-next-sunxi64 (5.37.180106) ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.12-sunxi64

but Welcome-Message shows:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.37.171221 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.12-sunxi64

1 minute ago, Igor said:

or there is some problem with your image.

I used only downloadable images from armbian.com - no self-build image by me - so maybe other users would also get this welcome-message after apt update & upgrade.
At my 3 NanoPi Neo2 its displayed correctly after the update:
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.37.180106 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.12-sunxi64

Thanks for checking :)

4 hours ago, Igor said:

Try now.

Hmm....

Unpacking linux-dtb-next-sunxi64                        (5.37.180110) over (5.37.180106) ...
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-4.14.12-sunxi64
Removing obsolete file uInitrd-4.14.12-sunxi64
Unpacking linux-image-next-sunxi64                    (5.37.180110) over (5.37.180106) ...
Unpacking linux-u-boot-orangepizeroplus-next (5.37.180110) over (5.37.180106) ...
Unpacking sunxi-tools       (1.4.2-2~armbian5.37.180110+1) over (1.4.2-2~armbian5.37.180106+1) ...
Setting up linux-image-next-sunxi64 (5.37.180110) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.13-sunxi64
Setting up linux-u-boot-orangepizeroplus-next (5.37.180110) ...
Setting up linux-dtb-next-sunxi64 (5.37.180110) ...

but (also after a reboot):

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.37.171221 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.13-sunxi64

Can I check anything else on my system?

root@opi-zeroplus:/etc# more armbian-release

# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=orangepizeroplus
BOARD_NAME="Orange Pi Zero Plus"
BOARDFAMILY=sun50iw2
VERSION=5.37.171221
LINUXFAMILY=sunxi64
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=nightly
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image

root@opi-zeroplus:/etc# more armbian-image-release

# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=orangepizeroplus
BOARD_NAME="Orange Pi Zero Plus"
VERSION=5.34.171121
LINUXFAMILY=sunxi64
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=nightly
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image

root@opi-zeroplus:/etc# ls -l arm*

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root   227 Nov 20 13:50 armbian-image-release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   248 Dez 21 19:25 armbian-release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18589 Dez 21 19:25 armbian.txt

System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to http://sprunge.us/jSib

Manually (re)install BSP:

1 hour ago, guidol said:

Can I check anything else on my system?

No, it's a problem on our side. It looks like script makes only those which are enabled in a config: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/boards/bananapi.conf#L9 (this works) and zeroplus targets hasn't been set. A small RFC and it should be fine.

On 11.1.2018 at 12:52 PM, Igor said:

Manually (re)install BSP:

A small RFC and it should be fine.

The update from today did correct the Welcome-Message:
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.37.180112 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.13-sunxi64

Linux opi-zeroplus 4.14.13-sunxi64 #11 SMP Fri Jan 12 01:35:33 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

BTW: For future use.... how I could I (re)install BSP?

54 minutes ago, guidol said:

For future use.... how I could I (re)install BSP?

If BSP is missing you need to build one with our build tools or better ... remind that it's not working and we fix this :)

Showing Temperature is missing in last two kernels:

root@zeus:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# uname -a
Linux zeus 4.14.13-sunxi64 #35 SMP Tue Jan 16 17:51:14 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@zeus:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# armbianmonitor -m
Stop monitoring using [ctrl]-[c]
Time        CPU    load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq  C.St.

20:50:25:  816MHz  1.82  22%   3%   3%   4%  10%   0%  0/2
20:50:30:  816MHz  1.83  16%   3%   1%   6%   5%   0%  0/2

Although, you can see it manually:

root@zeus:~# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
root@zeus:~# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp