Trying to boot NanoPi-K2

martinayotte

Well, not knowing the exact pedigree of the board I have (donated) I haven't completely trusted all the things it does, so please report any and all "strange things", that will verify anything I may have seen, and I can make a list to work on in the spare time.  The memory issue would obviously be of primary interest.  

Maybe you know link for the latest version NanoPi K2's kernel source code? I want try to make own OS Image. I recently bought this device and are now trying to use all its functions, but without success. If one function works, then not works another. )

GitHub.com/armbian/build will let you build kernel images that work with the Armbian distro (outputs Deb packages), and that way you can also generate patches.  Look at docs.armbian.com for details on the options of the build system.  

For friendlyArm, they have their own GitHub I don't have the link to off the top of my head.

I have the exact same issue as Eugen had. my RAM is only shown 844M instead of 2GB. I try to find a reason for this but I cannot find any. Maybe somebody has a tip for me?

I only try to get a working Linux with Kodi and remote control, but it seams to be unsolvable with NanoPi k2

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Memory:         844         552          75          43         215         154
Swap:             422         204         217

br

wikrie

On 24. 12. 2017 at 8:35 PM, eugene said:

Аnyone knows, where is 2GB of RAM on K2 with Armbian_5.37_Nanopik2_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.14.5_desktop images ??:o Device is very slow !

MB values 

aev@nanopik2:~$ free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Memory:         844         552          75          43         215         154
Swap:             422         204         217

I have exact the same issue, any hints?

Edited by wikrie
add free -m

This is a u-boot issue I believe that I haven't gotten to fixing.  Remember K2 is WIP, so it's not always on the top of the list.  hopefully I can move these to a mainline u-boot sooner rather than later...

[edit]  Found it, the p201 board def I copied defines the RAM as 1 GB, fixing/testing quickly.

_   _                         _   _  ______
| \ | | __ _ _ __   ___  _ __ (_) | |/ /___ \
|  \| |/ _` | '_ \ / _ \| '_ \| | | ' /  __) |
| |\  | (_| | | | | (_) | |_) | | | . \ / __/
|_| \_|\__,_|_| |_|\___/| .__/|_| |_|\_\_____|
                        |_|

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.35 user-built Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.14.2-meson64
System load:   0.11 0.30 0.16   Up time:       3 min
Memory usage:  13 % of 1850MB   IP:            169.254.12.141 10.0.0.40
Usage of /:    20% of 30G

[ 0 security updates available, 78 updates total: apt upgrade ]
Last check: 2017-12-13 23:13

Last login: Thu Dec 21 02:15:11 2017

I'll get that updated in the build system.

Until the build system makes new packages, you can take the https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/packages/blobs/meson/u-boot-nanopik2.bin

and stuff it into your current SD card.

Make sure your SD card is your SD card or you could wreck your host machine.  <--- don't say I didn't warn you, some assembly required (seriously, don't overwrite your computer's boot sector)

# sudo dd if=fip/u-boot-nanopik2.bin of=/dev/<your SD Card> conv=fsync,notrunc bs=1 count=444
# sudo dd if=fip/u-boot-nanopik2.bin of=/dev/<your SD Card> conv=fsync,notrunc bs=512 skip=1 seek=1
# sync

4 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Until the build system makes new packages, you can take the https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/packages/blobs/meson/u-boot-nanopik2.bin

and stuff it into your current SD card.

Make sure your SD card is your SD card or you could wreck your host machine.  <--- don't say I didn't warn you, some assembly required (seriously, don't overwrite your computer's boot sector)

# sudo dd if=fip/u-boot-nanopik2.bin of=/dev/<your SD Card> conv=fsync,notrunc bs=1 count=444
# sudo dd if=fip/u-boot-nanopik2.bin of=/dev/<your SD Card> conv=fsync,notrunc bs=512 skip=1 seek=1
# sync

many thanks your hotfix works, I now see my full ram 1,8GB, so now I can start testing ...

grafik.png

1 hour ago, wikrie said:

THanks eugene but I cannot find the image under https://dl.armbian.com/nanopik2/

So where can I get this?

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Eq1q/YQdunFMhv

To start WiFi do this in terminal:

1. su - (enter the root password)

2. modprobe wifi_dummy

P.S. This image is so old

You can follow the recommendations by TonyMac32, Balbes150. 

A quick test Armbian_5.37_Nanopik2_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.14.5_desktop.7z revealed the WiFi instability.   Connection involved, but the data transfer is unstable. The signal level to 40%, with a connection IPEX antenna signal level above 70%, but the transfer data is present, then no.

23 minutes ago, eugene said:

but the transfer data is present, then no.

This chip is actually quite reliable. Is perhaps power management turned on? This has huge impact. Type: iwconfig

aev@nanopik2:~$ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     no wireless extensions.

dummy0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

in Interfaces file, i added line 'wireless-power off', but no result. Wifi working 1-3 sec, then no load data, then load data again.

It should look like this:

Spoiler

iwconfig 
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=31 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on

Than:

iwconfig wlan0 power off

results in:

Spoiler

iwconfig 
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=31 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

Most likely kernel configuration also need some work.

I installed a vendor's OS android to test the performance of Wi-Fi. It works fine, but within a radius of 2 meters from the router. ) Within a range of 4 meters or more starts unstable work Wi-Fi. Who tested the wifi working range ? However, with the image OS (Armbian_5.37_Nanopik2_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.14.5_desktop ) i-Fi works with breaks even within a radius of 1 meter.

Well, I didn't copy the image to the root directory of the card, I just did it from the host PC.  As long as you wrote it to the device and not to a partition (so /dev/sd(x) and not /dev/sd(x)1 ) that should be it, I followed it moments before posting it the other night.

Ок.  I misunderstood your post "and stuff it into your current SD card." I Deleted my previos post that would not be problems from other users.   Board K2 still works with WiFi. Other test will try tomorrow.

Thanks for you job.