Armbian on another hw

Radian

Question

Hi everybody, I'm new here and I would like to ask you for help with make armbian work on other board - Toradex Colibri iMX6DL with freescale iMX6 processor. They already have U-boot & Angstrom linux on NAND (where I would like to get armbian). They have meta-packages and images available for download on their website and I would like to know what is the best way to make it work (to keep their HW configuration)? I like these boards because of good desing and good HW, but this Angstrom linux isn't good...

Thank you for every advice :)

7 answers to this question

Is there anyone, please, who could help me? I ask only for advice, what I have to change to make hw work, where can I find pins configuration and how to get this pin configuration of colibri-imx6 angstrom image to armbian?

https://www.toradex.com/computer-on-modules/colibri-arm-family/freescale-imx6

You got this one?

According to quick look it should not be very hard.

http://developer.toradex.com/software-resources/arm-family/linux/board-support-package/build-u-boot-and-linux-kernel-from-source-code

I am adding boards that I have around my desk to the Armbian build script or if anyone else prepare and test. Only theory based is usually waste of time since it's not possible to debug on the spot.

This is our main configuration (development version!):

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/configuration.sh

A lot of things changed so manuals for this part are not updated yet. Furthermore some u-boot source adjustment and/or custom boot script is needed to create + adding some dedicated binaries or fixes ... if you want the same level of service as other boards.

Yes, I have this one and I found that Toradex have on their web device tree for it even with bootloader, but I don't know what to do to get it work -> how to combine this downloaded u-boot and device tree to use it with armbian ...?

Thank you

U-boot and kernel can be compiled within Armbian tools but putting things together looks like it's not a "by the way" job. It can (slowly) be done.

It much depend if you boot from SD card or from NAND and tests runs are mandatory. I usually support only boards that I have around: necessary at this stage and in case of troubles. If you understand how to put things together, I'll help putting it to default Armbian build tool. My dev version is downloading / updating / patching uboot: 2015.04 and kernel 3.14.28 for Toradex Colibri. Where to write bootloader and the boot scripts ... ?

Edit: I would apply for a free sample but their project registrations process is just too much for me :huh:. I stopped at "upload your business card".

https://www.toradex.com/sample/guideline

I boot from NAND (onboard 4GB eMMC).

Yes, my version of u-boot is 2015.04 and kernel is 3.14.28 for Toradex Colibri iMX6DL.

I didn't do registration process to get free sample, I bought one for tests and before they can send it - I had to sign a paper from freescale and resend to Toradex (counter terrorist precautions). About business card, I think that they only want to send your name, business premises (address where to send sample), mail contact and maybe some reference (web page).

I don't know if I fully understand how to put things together, I can try to do that, but I will need some help to do it - and I would like to try it.

I boot from NAND (onboard 4GB eMMC).

I found this: loading NAND via serial console. I guess it's suitable if you got nothing on NAND ... updating in our case must be done from Linux.

https://github.com/toradex/imx_loader

Aha, so you don't have SD card on carrier?

The basic concept of Armbian is SD boot and NAND / SATA / USB installer. In case of other way, than we need to build or use extra tools.

I didn't do registration process to get free sample, I bought one for tests and before they can send it - I had to sign a paper from freescale and resend to Toradex (counter terrorist precautions). About business card, I think that they only want to send your name, business premises (address where to send sample), mail contact and maybe some reference (web page).

I (could) understand all this but Its just boring to deal with bureaucracy to get a sample ;) I'll try later once again but I guess all this will take some time ...

I have functional system Angstrom linux (Toradex image) on NAND flash now (with functional u-boot). There is SD-card slot on carrier board - from where I can upload new image of Angstrom with that NAND u-boot ("run setupdate" && "run update" instructions). :)