Rock64 armbian image ethernet password

Goerlitzer

18 minutes ago, Goerlitzer said:

Also the normal password didn't work (root / 1234).

To my knowledge, root 1234 should work on every board. That's often a sign that something on your system is corrupt. Did you follow the getting started recommendations? (e.g. etcher instead of dd/win32, reliable SD card & psu).

5 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

I heard about different issues (not related to tx/rx offloading) on the production boards.

Yes, ayufan said he had problems with Ethernet -- we talked today in #ROCK64 channel and I tested with 1GB production board (and offloading active): https://pastebin.com/aAzkEYEB (somewhat low performance in one direction but IMO not critical) and then next batch of boards got DRAM 'downgraded' which seems to cause problems for him.

Anyway: I tested with production board and without tx/rx offloading fix/workaround Ethernet stopped to work after ~30 seconds as it's the case with the pre-production boards too.

1 minute ago, tkaiser said:

Anyway: I tested with production board and without tx/rx offloading fix/workaround Ethernet stopped to work after ~30 seconds as it's the case with the pre-production boards too.

Unfortunately udev rules don't work since they are executed too early, so we may need a simple systemd service to execute the ethtool command at the right time.

1 minute ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Do these hooks work with NM too?

At least as long as the interface is not controlled by NM it works (tested 20 days ago when I benchmarked my first Armbian build on ROCK64). So we might add a NM hook too but since their way of doing things isn't that persistent a systemd service might be the better idea...

What about this in the meantime?

diff --git a/packages/bsp/common/etc/init.d/armhwinfo b/packages/bsp/common/etc/init.d/armhwinfo
index 96345fa..1900085 100755
--- a/packages/bsp/common/etc/init.d/armhwinfo
+++ b/packages/bsp/common/etc/init.d/armhwinfo
@@ -253,6 +253,8 @@ prepare_board() {
                                        echo 7 >/sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus
                                        echo 32768 >/proc/sys/net/core/rps_sock_flow_entries
                                        echo 32768 >/sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_flow_cnt
+                                       # preliminary rx/tx offloading workaround
+                                       /sbin/ethtool -K eth0 rx off tx off
                                        ;;
                                nanopim3) # dw-mci on cpu1, USB host on cpu2, GbE on cpu3, USB OTG on cpu4, video-codec on cpu5
                                        for i in $(awk -F':' '/dw-mci/{print $1}' </proc/interrupts | sed 's/\ //g'); do

Please describe your situation in details, perhaps add screenshot or video.

Are you trying to log in via serial console? In case it's not added to /etc/securetty ... it's not possible to login in. In case of this board, this is quite possible since it's WIP.

No, I didn't use a serial console. I use a hdmi screen and a usb keyboard. I boot the board, the login screen appears and I try to login. But the system doesn't accept "root" as user, the error message is "incorrect login", the "password" prompt doesn't appear. It's possible to tape "rock64", than the password prompt appears.

On 7.9.2017 at 6:19 PM, tkaiser said:

Sorry, I'm a nob, but maybe it's not so complicated to use the script from ayufan. I put it in the directory like in his github repo (/etc/network/if-up.d/rock64-offload) and made it executable. But it's not working on my rock64 (Version 2.0, 2 GB). Can anyone help me? Or is there a possibility to solve the ethernet problem with one of the next nightly builds. That woud be great :-)