Lamobo R1 as Router using the Wifi as Gateway and running a DHCP-Server in all the Switchports

MetallJ

Hello,

I'm pretty new to configuring networks completely with /etc/network/interfaces and have my problems with understanding how to set up my ports adequately. 

What I want to do is: I want to run a DHCP-Server on all the LAN-Ports and want to use the wireless Connection as a Gateway (using NAT, no bridge). 

I found this to setup the Switchports as bridged.https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/511#issuecomment-262571252

But I don't know how to set the whole system up. I read lots of introduction but all people are using the WAN-Port as Gateway and setting the wireless as Access Point. That's not what I want to do. And I also wasn't able to adept there solution to get it running how I want.

Hopefully someone may help a noob...

Thanks for responses in Advance!

MetallJ

1 hour ago, reverend_t said:

What do you mean "gateway"? Draw a diagram or explain more clearly what you're trying to achieve :) (ie different subnets on lan ports and wifi? which will be your wan port?)

I want to have the R1 connect via WiFi to an existing network and want an own networkadress-range on all the switch-ports. So for example Wifi has adress 10.10.10.10 and Devices connected with LAN get addresses from 192.168.2.0/24

I have acknowledged that the wifi behaves strange. Is there anything I can do against without just not using it?

I also found this and think that I can create a DHCP-server on the ethernet ports. How do I use the wifi as internet-connection?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DH8AXCHqUYI6J4L4ujt20aI9BNrYxsWtcthWZEJx8Xs/edit#

Thank you for your replies so far.

4 hours ago, MetallJ said:

Is there anything I can do against without just not using it?

Nothing, but replace the HW.

Within the Google Docs I made you also see some slides, in that explain the relation of the HW & SW.

So instead of combining the WiFi & LAN, you combine the WAN and LAN. Should be straight forward.

Yup, all you need to do is connect with the Wi-Fi, enable masquerading on the Wi-Fi interface, allow ipv4 forwarding, run dnsmasq to listen for DHCP requests from the bridge , and set up a simple firewall. Google Linux router and you'll be presented with hundreds of good guides :D

On 9/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, MetallJ said:

I want to have the R1 connect via WiFi to an existing network and want an own networkadress-range on all the switch-ports. So for example Wifi has adress 10.10.10.10 and Devices connected with LAN get addresses from 192.168.2.0/24

If you plan to use built in WIFI in "Client" mode only, there shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tested much, but problems were in "AP" mode, client was kind of stable. So better test first, before changing the whole module (witch is generally good idea for this crappy board, but may be too much for your needs), how it interacts in client mode. About setup @reverend_t post explain briefly what you need. But if you prefer quick and not so complicated solution, with GUI, check out OpenWrt for this board (if there is still any download link alive).

Sorry for reopening this problem. But I am still considering the wifi behavior in clientmode at least strange.

I've got at least 1 out of 4 times no connection. I tested it with a cronjob every minute pinging google.com, now running ping to a fixed IP to make sure it is not a DNS problem. 

Is there anything I can do to approach this problem? Other devices with exactly the same configuration (Raspi) work fine in the same environment!

Edit: It is not a DNS problem. Pinging a fixed IP shows the same behaviour.