How to build without downloading from git everytime?

James Kingdon

Hi, I'm trying to iterate quickly to test out some ideas on the mmc driver, so I was wondering if it is possible to prevent re-downloading the sources every time. It looked like IGNORE_UPDATES=yes might be what I want, but when I tried that I got a failure during compile_atf:

[ o.k. ] Installing [ rkbin-tools ]
[ o.k. ] Cleaning output/debs for [ pinebook-a64 default ]
[ o.k. ] Cleaning 
[ o.k. ] Compiling ATF 
[ o.k. ] Compiler version [ aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc 6.4.1 ]
[ o.k. ] Started patching process for [ atf pine64-pinebook-a64-default ]
[ o.k. ] Looking for user patches in [ userpatches/atf/atf-pine64 ]
make: *** No rule to make target 'bl31'.  Stop.
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_atf [ compilation.sh:65 ]
[ error ] ATF compilation failed 
[ o.k. ] Process terminated 

I'm using docker so my command line was

$ ./compile.sh docker IGNORE_UPDATES=yes

23 hours ago, James Kingdon said:

Hi, I'm trying to iterate quickly to test out some ideas on the mmc driver, so I was wondering if it is possible to prevent re-downloading the sources every time.

Which sources? Kernel and u-boot? With Docker they should be cached in a named volume "armbian-cache" together with some other things.

On 13.09.2017 at 10:19 PM, James Kingdon said:

$ ./compile.sh docker IGNORE_UPDATES=yes

IGNORE_UPDATES is for internal use, it wasn't tested with any build scenarios apart from BUILD_ALL.

Hi Zador, thanks for replying.

Yes, kernel and u-boot sources. They are indeed in the cache which is why I can get away with not downloading them on each build. For reasons I haven't been able to fathom, in this particular location the environment inside docker can't resolve github.com, so every attempt to contact it results in a long timeout which was slowing the builds down a lot.

No worries on IGNORE_UPDATES. I made some quick changes to the scripts to skip the downloads and only compile u-boot while I was working on that part and it did what I needed it to do. I understand that I'm not using the tools the way they were intended, so it's not surprising that things aren't quite straight forward :)