Lock to a particular kernel version

splite

Hey,

I'm trying to lock kernel version to 4.11. The documentation is talking about the variable ARMBIAN_MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION, which does not do anything, as the script does not take it into account and still clone the last version of kernel (4.13)

I cheat and copy KERNELBRANCH='branch:linux-4.11.y' instead in userpatches/lib.config which seems to do the job.

What is wrong then ? Documentation or me ?

Thanks

Florian

23 minutes ago, splite said:

What is wrong then ? Documentation or me ?

Documentation:

macbookpro-tk:Armbian tk$ grep -r ARMBIAN_MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION build/*
macbookpro-tk:Armbian tk$ 

It would be great if you could continue looking 'from the outside' on the documentation, collect issues here or simply send a PR against https://github.com/armbian/documentation if you're sure what needs to be adjusted.

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:

Documentation:

macbookpro-tk:Armbian tk$ grep -r ARMBIAN_MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION build/*
macbookpro-tk:Armbian tk$ 

It would be great if you could continue looking 'from the outside' on the documentation, collect issues here or simply send a PR against https://github.com/armbian/documentation if you're sure what needs to be adjusted.

Ok I will.

I have currently issue during patching from build/patch/kernel/sunxi-next/. Some patch can not be applied against Kernel version 4.11 / 4.12, 4.13 is fine but contains changes on device tree that I does not want.

Does the last patch files from armbian works only along kernel 4.13 ?

8 minutes ago, splite said:

Does the last patch files from armbian works only along kernel 4.13 ?

If you're on a branch that's already bumped to 4.13 then yes. In general if you want to stick to an older kernel release you need the appropriate patches for that exact version too.

As a very simple example: Since I needed to revert back to 4.12 on Clearfog Pro and we switched already to 4.13 I had a look at the specific commit which fortunately only changed kernel config and a single patch. So all I had to do was to throw the old patch file in the appropriate directory below userpatches and same with the older linux-mvebu-next.config version. Easy. With board families that are still heavy WiP (some sunxi families for example) it might look different and you end up playing with 20 or even more files (throwing the old patch files below userpatches and disabling newer patches by using zero sized files of same name there)

Thanks for the procedure. Change are quite heavy from 4.11 to 4.12 on Lime2. I wanted to give a try on an older kernel, but I think it does not worth spending time on this.

I'd rather try to understand with my device tree fragment does not work any more on 4.13

I'll make a PR on the doc about KERNELBRANCH

Hi,

I had the same issue with the ARMBIAN_MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION variable which has to be replaced by KERNELBRANCH. This is not in armbian documentation and there is still the ARMBIAN_MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION in configuration.sh file although it is not used in other scripts.

And I still have the same problem about the patches : I need to compile back to the 4.9 kernel's version but ran in an error because current patches are for 4.13 branch.

My questions are :

• where are the patches for lime2-emmc (and other boards) ?
  • how can I download them (a branch/tab on armbian build tool or somewhere) ?
  • where can be found documentation about this (where is a patch, the tag/versioning policy) ?

A subsidiary question (out of this topic): how to disable any auto-update feature in order that when one can come back in six months one not have to re-configure everything ?