How to facilitate and speed up the Orange Pi One

TViT

Hello. I remodel my Philips TV 32PFL4258T in a media center. The motherboard burned to the TV. There is no point in buying a new one. He had not worked very well before that. I installed universal scaler  Z.VST.3463.A1. I bought myself Orange Pi One and installed Arbian 5.30. But when you start the browser and the video on YouTube, after 5 minutes, the promo starts to buggy and hang. The processor temperature is 55 degrees. According to the SSH, a 1% swap file is written. I think then, when viewing the memory, it eats much more and faster.

Kodi also works. If you do not watch movies and programs nimble. As soon as you turn on the film everything is badly hanging up. There is also no virtual keyboard to control the TV and the media center on the remote.

What downloaded is not stable work, there is no Russian language on the buttons. What you tell or advise. Can I have ready tested distributions with the main programs in the box?

There is no video acceleration within browsers. Armbian provides a base stable system, but we don't deal with KODI or anything like this. You can play video with mplayer which is more or less a demonstration of video accelerating abilities. 

The best KODI / multimedia experience on Opi One will be with Openelec down.nu, or via http://www.retrorangepi.org/

Just a question. Why do you buy a SBC when you want a TV/mediacenter box? The Pi one is a cheap cool SBC but IMO not made for your task. Donald Trump would say: 'Nobody knew that Kodi could be so complicated.' and Angela Merkel: 'Kodi ist für uns alle #Neuland'. 

To be serious. I appreciate all the work done by developers to get Kodi to work on SBCs. But for me, Kodi on linux driven SBCs is in an early adopters phase, means it runs sometimes smoothly, sometimes not. If you're an end user who doesn't want to spend time in doing the research on which board does a decent job with Kodi, go for a *random android driven tv box*. They are made for such tasks and probably perform better than most SBCs. 

2 hours ago, TViT said:

What downloaded is not stable work, there is no Russian language on the buttons.

Maybe you should improve your google-fu... :P Cause then you will find results like this (search terms: xfce language russian) or this (search terms: xfce russian language package)... 

8 hours ago, Igor said:

Там is no video acceleration within browsers. Armbian provides a base stable system, but we don't deal with KODI or anything like this. You can play video with mplayer which is more or less a demonstration of video accelerating abilities. The best KODI / multimedia experience on Opi One will be with Openelec down.nu, or via http://www.retrorangepi.org/

All clear. I thought if I install the OS then it should be like working on an ordinary computer and the question is only in the amount of RAM. All the more you just need to watch the video, do not play in the Сrysis ))

Kodi installed because of the ease of navigation from the TV remote. I'll try as you advise to start mplayer

6 hours ago, chwe said:

Просто вопрос. Почему вы покупаете SBC, когда хотите коробку TV / mediacenter? Pi one - это дешево классный SBC, но IMO не создан для вашей задачи. Дональд Трамп сказал бы: «Никто не знал, что Коди может быть настолько сложным». и Ангела Меркель: «Kodi ist für uns alle

Maybe you should improve your google-fu... :P Cause then you will find results like this (search terms: xfce language russian) or this (search terms: xfce russian language package)... 

And what should I buy as cheaply as possible and small in size just to watch video through the browser, TV channels and news from the Internet? In this case, the price was no more than buying a motherboard for a PC or my TV. This is a $ 100 max. And get universality. Then the task is to experiment with neural networks and speech recognition. Therefore Orange pi One will come in handy anyway. The question is how to protect it from hacking.

I have a Russian language in the system. The problem is that there are no buttons on the virtual keyboard. what does not work, what works, but there is no language. I tried florence, Onboard, matchbox-keyboard...

On 16.9.2017 at 11:06 PM, TViT said:

Then the task is to experiment with neural networks and speech recognition.

A fundamental different use case.. I had a look into this machine learning, deep learning what ever stuff duiring the last weeks. My personal opinion is that this is not ready on SBCs at the moment (maybe with NVIDIA jetson, but this is not a cheap one..). The difference between a TV box your normal computer is power consumption, whereas your PC needs 70 to 200 watts (just a guess, I'm no expert on power consumption) a TV box/SBC should be fine with <10-15 watts on peak consumption.

This is also right for TV boxes (I'm not a expert since I don't own a TV :P). But google should help, look for reviews, look for open android projects (if you want the opportunity to customize something) for these boxes. I would look for RockChip boxes (didn't do a fully research about TV-Boxes). But don't buy by specs (best specs with bad software support is worser than medium good specs with good software support). 

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 Too powerful system. I think it's easier to buy several Oranges or Raspberries for different tasks.

For example speech recognition is one orange. And pattern recognition is another orange. Measuring the distance to the wall, for example, can be done on simple sensors and a microcontroller, and GPS can handle it. Especially this can always be customized. all combine into a single system. And cheaper and easier. Especially if you use Internet services, then you can manage one malinka. Everything will be done on the server.

I installed both OpenElec and LibreElec can not understand why the HDMI-CEC does not work. And it is not clear how to adjust the lirc to listen to the necessary pin to me manually. The feeling is that it's just a conspiracy against the IR receiver ...

3 minutes ago, TViT said:

I installed both OpenElec and LibreElec can not understand why the HDMI-CEC does not work. And it is not clear how to adjust the lyrical to listen to the necessary pin to me manually. The feeling is that it's just a conspiracy against the IR receiver ...

CEC requires kernel support and for 3.4.x kernels there is only experimental support that may not work or may not be present in some kernels at all (i.e. no support in Armbian, don't know/don't care about other distributions)

Hardware IR receiver support requires connecting the receiver to pin PL11, other pins are not supported. Connecting IR receiver to other pins requires a different kernel driver (gpio-ir-recv), and it may require patching and recompiling the kernel to activate it.

I do not understand why the support of CEC needs to be pushed into the kernel. If it is possible to use a separate module with fine-tuning in the configuration file?

...pin PL11 - it is not on the board, it is not on the common comb of the terminal pins. The question is how much it should be tied in the kernel, instead of describing the pin in the file that is the source of the signal?

31 minutes ago, TViT said:

...pin PL11 - it is not on the board, it is not on the common comb of the terminal pins. The question is how much it should be tied in the kernel, instead of describing the pin in the file that is the source of the signal?

On Orange Pi One PL11 is wired to a soldering pad on the board: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/755-orange-pi-one-adding-usb-analog-audio-out-tv-out-mic-and-ir-receiver/

Again, it can't be changed as it is for hardware IR decoder support. On other boards (Orange Pi Lite, Orange Pi PC, Orange Pi Zero, Orange Pi Zero Plus 2) it is wired to either onboard IR receiver or to the pin header, you just chose a wrong board.

For software IR decoding support you'l have to check and possibly patch the kernel sources to make it work, since there is a perfectly working hardware IR support AFAIK nobody tried to test the software implementation.

31 minutes ago, TViT said:

I do not understand why the support of CEC needs to be pushed into the kernel.

Because CEC is a hardware functionality, it can't work without kernel support.

Unfortunately the radiator is glued and to get to these contacts it is necessary to cut off the radiator. Therefore, I ask such questions of software implementation of IR reception ...

When I found out about it myself, the hope was on CEC. But here too the problem with support. Experimental support, I do not understand this word. The device either works or does not work ...

The fee was chosen based on the size. I did not expect that viewing in the YouTube channel browser is not implemented either. For me, if there is an OS, it works and supports all the capabilities of the processor. And even more so when viewing simple videos. It turned out that everything is bad ...

I'm in shock. I think how to get to the contacts ...

6 minutes ago, TViT said:

When I found out about this myself, the hope was for ses. But there is also a problem with support. Experimental support, I do not understand this word. The device either works or does not work ...

"Experimental" means not stable, may not work with all devices, may crash or hang the kernel.

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1407-wiphdmi-cec-driver-for-h3/

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3416-orange-pi-lite-and-hdmi-cec/

18 hours ago, TViT said:

For example speech recognition is one orange. And pattern recognition is another orange.

Speech recognition in terms of 'understanding' not just recording wouldn't be possible with an orange.  :P The reason why all these services (alexa, siri etc.) are so powerful is their huge back end. I think a minimum requirement for some 'basic' machine learning would be a OpenCl capable GPU with software support.Echo-App-Diagram.png

2 hours ago, TViT said:

But here too the problem with support. Experimental support, I do not understand this word. The device either works or does not work ...

Without 'experimental' builds a lot of this projects would be really boring.. :P Things have to be developed and tested before you can call them 'stable'.  In a 'commercial' product, this is (hopefully) done before release whereas in opensource projects this is mostly done before and users can test things before they are sure everything runs smoothly.

2 hours ago, TViT said:

For me, if there is an OS, it works and supports all the capabilities of the processor.

Welcome to the real world..  :P Whereas on x86 architecture you've (more or less) one player dominating the whole market, this differs much on arm (e.g. Allwinner, Broadcom, Qualcomm, Rockchip, Samsung etc.). Their main goal is to provide 'support' for android devices in those days. SBCs are IMO just a niche market to sell some extra boards. If you compare H3 devices from xunlong, you get them in a price range between 10 (OPi one) up to 50$ (OPi plus 2). Beside ram and eMMC you need some other reasons why people should buy one or the other board..  ;)

To my knowledge, all these linux based OSes on H3 are spare time projects. Without them, you would stay with a 3.4.39 kernel provided by Allwinners BSP 'without any support'. Most/all development happens neither by board makers or SoC makers as soon as they rolled out the SoC. Support of a SoC from 2014 isn't of interest for them. 

For the price of a OPiOne you get here a BigMac with fries and a coke... You'll have more fun with the OPiOne (in case of your expectations of course more frustration since it doesn't fullfill your needs). I recommend to do the 'homework' before buying it. I buyed a OPi 2g-IoT once expecting that it will have a decent software support soon, just to realize that experienced developers weren't willing to work on it and I'm not able to do it (lack of knowledge). 

Just cause I'm interested, did you test the android?

On 16.9.2017 at 2:17 PM, tkaiser said:

Or H3Droid.

3 hours ago, chwe said:

Speech recognition in terms of 'understanding' not just recording wouldn't be possible with an orange.  :P The reason why all these services (alexa, siri etc.) are so powerful is their huge back end. I think a minimum r

At me recognition of separate words on the microcontroller it is made with 16кб RAM ... 14кб from which it is borrowed under the buffer for capture of a word ...
Power even Orange Pi One, is Something extremely large and sufficient for me... ))

1 minute ago, TViT said:

android did not try. What is the use of me from any OS if there is no IR control panel support ...

That's a buyed false board issue, not software issue. IR remote is supported by H3droid. It might be interesting to test android on your OPi one first, to evaluate if it's worth to buy another H3 board with a appropriate IR solution (and maybe with a bit more ram).

11 minutes ago, TViT said:

At me recognition of separate words on the microcontroller it is made with 16кб RAM

The clapper recognizes claps and it was made in the 90'..  :P Doesn't mean, he 'understands' something. Ok, we may have different opinions what voice recognition means. But doesn't matter, this is out of your basic requirements yet.

1 hour ago, TViT said:

android did not try. What is the use of me from any OS if there is no IR control panel support ...

For CEC support, better stick with this OpenElec ports - https://down.nu/images/2016-10-26/. IR is working fine there too, you can find some info here - How to get IR working (NEC protocol). Bad news is, i personally was unable to get HDMI CEC working with OpiOne, or OpiPlus2e (the boards i had). It was working for seconds, or not working at all. The only board i manage to make it working stable (and use it every day till now) is Orange Pi PC. IR with OpiPlus2e was working fine, the last time i tried, but for OpiOne, you don't have IR receiver soldered, so you have to soldered yourself (if you can :) ) - Orange Pi One - adding USB, analog audio out, TV out, mic and IR receive. Basically it's possible to activate HDMI CEC in Armbian, as module and install libcec, i tested myself back in days. Maybe it's applicable for H3Droid too, which is Android based on Armbian, as far, as i know and there should be h/w acceleration Kodi. But how you will integrate CEC with Kodi after this, i have no idea.

Opi One is not good for what you want to archive, by my opinion. The best use case you can have from it, that will save you some headaches, is to buy some usb mini keyboard with tuch and use it with OS of your choice - Armbian with MPV/SMPlayer/SMTube, OpenElec, H3Droid (probably the best choice for your needs).

1 hour ago, chwe said:

That's a buyed false board issue, not software issue. IR remote is supported by H3droid. It might be interesting to test android on your OPi one first, to evaluate if it's worth to buy another H3 board with a appropriate IR solution (and maybe with a bit more ram).

What's the difference if I need to manually configure the port where the IR receiver has been soldered. Later I'll try H3droid. I'm not sure what it is that it's easier to confiure up a separate pin

1 hour ago, chwe said:

The clapper recognizes claps and it was made in the 90'..  :P Doesn't mean, he 'understands' something. Ok, we may have different opinions what voice recognition means. But doesn't matter, this is out of your basic requirements yet.

Clapper algorithm analyzes the envelope of the audio signal. And my system based on the neural network and HMM with the Viterbi algorithm recognizes individual phonemes and letters in the word. The difference between an ant and an elephant )) And there is no understanding in any system. There is simply a memory in which the dictionary is kept and a possible suitable answer and choice

30 minutes ago, RagnerBG said:

For CEC support, better stick with this OpenElec ports - https://down.nu/images/2016-10-26/. IR is working fine there too, you can find some info here - How to get IR working (NEC protocol). Bad news is, i personally was unable to get HDMI CEC working with OpiOne, or OpiPlus2e (the boards i had). It was working for seconds, or not working at all. The only board i manage to make it working stable (and use it every day till now) is Orange Pi PC. IR with OpiPlus2e was working fine, the last time i tried, but for OpiOne, you don't have IR receiver soldered, so you have to soldered yourself (if you can :) ) - Orange Pi One - adding USB, analog audio out, TV out, mic and IR receive. Basically it's possible to activate HDMI CEC in Armbian, as module and install libcec, i tested myself back in days. Maybe it's applicable for H3Droid too, which is Android based on Armbian, as far, as i know and there should be h/w acceleration Kodi. But how you will integrate CEC with Kodi after this, i have no idea.

Opi One is not good for what you want to archive, by my opinion. The best use case you can have from it, that will save you some headaches, is to buy some usb mini keyboard with tuch and use it with OS of your choice - Armbian with MPV/SMPlayer/SMTube, OpenElec, H3Droid (probably the best choice for your needs).

That is the problem. First you need to figure out how to get to the contact under the radiator. Soldering is a simple matter. Under the microscope I solder the tracks on a flexible cable 0.1mm thick. I do not want to buy OpiPC because of IR

1 hour ago, TViT said:

And there is no understanding in any system. There is simply a memory in which the dictionary is kept and a possible suitable answer and choice

That's why 'understand' is quote marks.  To get philosophical here... We neither understand something too. Neurotransmitters are fired between two synapses. To break this one level down it's a host-guest system between large molecules (e.g. proteins) and small molecules (e.g. dopamine). And one layer below you could define 'understanding' as non covalent interactions which will end somewhere in the Schrödinger equation (enough smart ass shit here...).  

1 hour ago, TViT said:

What's the difference if I need to manually configure the port where the IR receiver has been soldered. Later I'll try H3droid. I'm not sure what it is that it's easier to confiure up a separate pin

If you find a smart workaround to use IR functionality on other pins. I'm sure this would be appreciated by others who also have a OPi one and aren't able to solder things to a soldering point. Armbian is not a board maker. It's just a group of developers who spend their spare time to improve the software for this boards to make them more useful. Contribution is really appreciated.  :)

1 hour ago, TViT said:

Clapper algorithm analyzes the envelope of the audio signal. And my system based on the neural network and HMM with the Viterbi algorithm recognizes individual phonemes and letters in the word. The difference between an ant and an elephant ))

There you go:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/forum/26-research-guides-tutorials/

Experienced persons on various topics who wanna share their knowledge are welcome to write an article. I'd love to see something about neural networks on SBCs. From my side you've enough inputs to decide in which direction you wanna go (e.g. projects with a focus more on your use case than armbian). 

10 hours ago, chwe said:

If you find a smart workaround to use IR functionality on other pins. I'm sure this would be appreciated by others who also have a OPi one and aren't able to solder things to a soldering point. Armbian is not a board maker. It's just a group of developers who spend their spare time to improve the software for this boards to make them more useful. Contribution is really appreciated.  :)

No need to search "smart workarounds", the driver is there, it can use any interrupt capable GPIO pin, but you need to make patch to feed it with "platform data" - from a fex file or from kernel command line parameters.

13 hours ago, chwe said:

That's why 'understand' is quote marks.  To get philosophical here... We neither understand something too. Neurotransmitters are fired between two synapses. To break this one level down it's a host-guest system between large molecules (e.g. proteins) and small molecules (e.g. dopamine). And one layer below you could define 'understanding' as non covalent interactions which will end somewhere in the Schrödinger equation (enough smart ass shit here...). 

Just the opposite. We differ from the car in that we are alive. And what you described with synaptic connections and neurotransmitters is just a mechanic. We at birth adjust the body for ourselves. Therefore, we are individual and different in the same environment. The brain is just a tool for the soul. The machine will never be understood, it can imitate comprehension. The car has no feelings - pain, suffering, it will not be able to understand why it is necessary so to set up communications. In humans, on the contrary, every cell is alive and requires nutrition as a necessity for work on which the life of the whole organism depends.

That's why no one knows by what principles working the brain and a separate neuron function. What protocol of communication between neurons. And how neurons specialize to perform certain tasks and how they distribute duties among themselves. On what principles are combined into clusters and groups. And why some neurons can provoke their death or leave the group and unite with other neurons. Similarly, establish connections with neurons that solve their problem or help solve the task of a common group. Just like the chip does not know why it works this way. But the programmer who wrote the rules knows this and it works that way. Similarly, the soul gives rules and the body only adjusts to the requirements of the living being. The brain is the mechanism. The soul is a programmer ...

p.s. Google translator probably already lost his mind after such a description ... ))

13 hours ago, chwe said:

Experienced persons on various topics who wanna share their knowledge are welcome to write an article. I'd love to see something about neural networks on SBCs. From my side you've enough inputs to decide in which direction you wanna go (e.g. projects with a focus more on your use case than armbian). 

Write a simple article on neural networks does not matter on what, on Orange, raspberry or PC does not make sense of books and articles more than enough. To create something new needs a lot of time. So you need a resource at the expense of which you will live quietly and spend time on articles and development. I do not have such a resource. All the time he goes to earn money. This is a cruel reality of Russia.

And when the time comes, I will develop a self-organizing system. Which will itself adjust the environment of the microcircuit to its needs. How OS to analyze RAM, Graph card and other devices. Same my system must analyze connected the motors is the ability to move and process visual information for example from the camera.

Therefore, I appreciate the developers and their owners in free software.
And for this reason there is no time to experiment with kernel patches and other freaks.

There is no way to search "smart workarounds" I no professional knowledge of Linux. And all the time goes to other needs. I will try to solder the micro wiring under the radiator.