Igor's Banana PI pages outdated

Decker

Hi Igor,

Thank you for all your work. I was looking at your website and found out that page with Bananapis is missing some content (FAQ is missing, I assume that it is the same as on orange pi pages. Also in "Graphics desktop environment upgrade ready. (kernel 3.4.x only) Possible further upgrade to desktop hardware acceleration." - upgrade ready has broken link). Some parts of text looks like outdated too. 

1. Would you be a modern superman with unlimited free time and update that page?
  2. I am interested in accelerated desktop environment and all 2D acceleration. But I was unsuccessful in finding more about it. OK, I have not found anything. Would you be so king and give me a hint or some link? I am not even sure what this means in ARM perspective. Without acceleration is graph. desktop env. slow as official support from banana pi and with acceleration it is only slow? :) I do not know much about graphics+linux unfortunately. What is diferent in graphic support in 3.4 and 4 kernels? What does not work in 4.0.4? And what does not work even in 3.4?
  3. Do you use one kernel for all A20 boards (in 3.4 and 4.0.4 variations) now?

Out of topic, I want share some numbers - I had bpi r1 and tried some realworld transfers (unsecure non-encrypted FTP) via 0,25m long s/ftp cable conected to high-quality, 1gbit Desktop PC card. Speed were very sad. 290Mbit/s READ from RAM, compressed files and much less with file containing only zeros. Write (again, to R1's RAM) was ultraslow, jumping from 40Mbit/s to 200Mbit/s. I tested cable and Desktop PC card, both worked great. With the same card in PC, same cable and Odroid C1 I managed to get 880Mbit, so problem is in Banana R1, where CPU were at 100%. It is very disappointing, since it should be "router" or "swich" board... I tried to tweak it and that thing with IRQs and overclocking, but I get only few Mbit/s more. (Tried with bananian linux and your 4.0.4 version jessie). iperf was not much better. Just saying, you cannot do much about this I think.

Thank you!

Hi. I just checked the blog and everything is operational. FAQ is working and there you can find all basic questions.

1. My time is already super limited and it will get worse :(  For problems you have comments and now forum. I think it's updated good enough (web) - there will be changes in this matter too.

2. https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo is a project from someone else - you have install info in the wiki. I can't really comment desktop acceleration since I don't use it and it's out of my focus. 4.x has only basic graphics support - no acceleration in any way.

3. With minor adaptations for some boards, yes.

Banana R1, a lot has been written, tested and done. We are trying to get better performance but I guess we are hitting the design limit :angry: BTW: compare only RAW data transfer without encryption. You got extra two cores on the other side and different kernel with possible encryption support(?) vs none ...

Thank you for your time and answer.

Blog:http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2014/09/07/banana-pi-debian-sd-image/

When you sroll down to "FAQ - frequently asked questions" and you click on in, it is empty. You can see it on my attachment. It does this only in this URL, others are OK. I tried this on Opera, IE, chrome and firefox and on 3 other PCs. It is broken man. I am not that drunk. I hope. It does not show any more content after click (only this URL!).

1) I was talking mailny about FAQ - other parts of page are OK and I am more than happy for your notes. Sometimes there is something that you already solved and it is not problem anymore.

2) thank you, that is enough for start. Great!

3) noted, thanks

Yes, it is design limit. I am not telling that your work is bad. Not at all. 

Anyway, I needed to use the device, so I tested it with real-world things I need it for. That means FTP without encryption (mainly). And FTP without encryption was that slow on R1. I do not care much about iperf etc, I need real speed, real time I need to wait until my data are transfered. Encryption was off, but CPU usage of R1 was 100% anyway. Odroid C1 (I am not sure about design of that board) had only few % of CPU usage when transfer was unencrypted. I am just saying this for others... If you are looking for ethernet speed, look elsewhere. I know you personally cannot do anything with this board's desing...

In fact, odroid C1 had better speeds with encryption during write test then R1 even without enryption... I think that Odroid C1 has somewhere its own chip for ethernet, yet Bananas PIs do it all in A20 main CPU. I might be wrong.

But enough of taking your time, thank you for you work.

post-74-0-38161300-1433455700_thumb.png

FAQ. That's really strange. I thought you had a problem with one particular browser. :( This part is anyway about to change since I am moving content to www.armbian.com when ready.

The content is auto generated from here:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/next/documentation/general-faq.md

(possible to contribute)

Thanks.