Power supply units

deb2016

I would like to raise the "issue" of power supply units.

Indeed, they are the key component of all what we build, it is also a security issue (what happens at full load)

and it seems to me quite difficult to distinguish between the numerous PSU over the market.

I am just an newbie on this topic, just willing to get a stable, silent (I mean without annoying sharp noise, not talking about cooling fans)

and safe PSUs.

I found this page http://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html which is the beginning of what could help.

Most of us probably already own a charger adapter, I just wonder if "charger adapter" is just another name for PSU and if one can use

its one's to power its boards ? Or maybe technology between both is different and it is not a good idea.

Lastly, I was advocated to use this PSU 35W dual output 5v 12v to power the clearfog pro (12v) and one 2.5" hard drive.

Although this kind of PSU needs to cut wires and assemble them by hand, I think of buying this one : http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1297311/ACDC-PSU-module-enclosure----Mean-Well----RD-65A

as I can power the clearfog pro (12V / 3A) and at least two 2.5" disks (5V 6A) or one disk and another board dedicated to video/hdmi.

I think 'charger adapter' means wall wart or just 'adapter' in some regions. The vocabulary shifts because we use them for charging more than powering stuff, which used to be the other way around before the 2005's.

For USB chargers there's also the issue of counterfeit chargers. Ken Shirriff did a thorough review of two seemingly identical chargers, one from China: http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

Never had an issue with audible switching noise, in small or big PSUs. I've only heard laptops and motherboards 'whizz'.

Some chargers give a nice smooth signal, others give a dirty signal full of HF spikes. Depending on your application this might make a difference. If you're regulating the voltage some way after the power plug (like most one-board PCs do), it's generally fine. I think it's hard to tell which you'll get unless have them tested with an oscilloscope (or happen to find such a review online).

MeanWell is a good brand. Dunno about the DX one. A Li-ion charger I once bought from DX suddenly shorted after a year of normal use and blew it's (resistor-type) fuse with a small light show. Others still work. I think it's hit-or-miss.

I have recently switched to using a 65 Watt MeanWell 5 Volt chassis supply (I'm running multiple boards and peripherals)   they make smaller units for those not running up to 7 boards at once

Note that I only recommend this if you are familiar with wiring and know how to not die from a lethal dose of Tesla's magic. 

If you are the sort putting together a permanent installation I do fully recommend such a supply, as you can adjust the output, typically between 4.5 and 5.5 volts, allowing you to overcome voltage drop if necessary (I keep mine at 5.25 volts because of specification limits for USB)