Reconnect ethernet interface after disconnection

Z11ntal33r

Hello!

I've been using Armbian on my newly bought Tinker Board for less than two weeks now and I've to say that the work you guys have put into this is incredible! It truly is remarkable and inspires us newcomers which haven't started studying computer science or are currently studying - as myself. So, I will definitely contribute and help others in the future to increase the Armbian community! However, as I'm new to Unix, Tinker Board, everything that's not Windows or Mac OS, I've a deep learning curve ahead! Let's start with my setup:

Build: ARMBIAN 5.32.170921 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.14.0-rc1-rockchip (I know it's nightly so there are bugs, yet I would like to help to fix them by giving helpful information if needed)  
My main sudo user is only used to connect to the Tinker Board through ssh and Remote Desktop. The other users have separate tasks, like the vpn user is connected through OpenVPN and runs rTorrent (split tunnel), another user is running Monit, Resilio Sync, Plex Media Server (with Transcoding), NFS File Server and so on.

The connection is wired and the main issue occurs when I reboot my router or the power cuts as the Tinker Board won't try to re-establish the connection. All my other devices that are connected through ethernet will, so I assume this is a bug or something I've to configure. The only way to reconnect the Tinker Board is to cut the power as I'm using the Tinker Board as a NAS with no mouse, keyboard and HDMI cable. My syslog has thousands of lines so if there are some specific information you need, please point me in the right direction. 

Again, thanks for the incredible support and the effort you guys have put into this! I couldn't dream of a better experience with my Tinker Board using Armbian and considering everything I've installed and done so far without facing critical bugs or big problems is almost to good to be true! So keep up the excellent work:)

Did the Tinker Board go on sale?  No posts in this forum for weeks, now the sky is falling...:rolleyes:

I have not compiled, booted or tested a 4.14 kernel, the last time I tried Dev (Monday?) It was still 4.13.  I will be doing that tonight.  I can't think of any reason for that behavior, so this should be interesting.

4 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Did the Tinker Board go on sale?

As you know, price here in switzerland rised from ~40$ to 75$  :D But semester start here, so maybe some profs decided to take this board into their courses? :D (make it harder for students than using a RPi :P

10 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Did the Tinker Board go on sale?  No posts in this forum for weeks, now the sky is falling...:rolleyes:

I have not compiled, booted or tested a 4.14 kernel, the last time I tried Dev (Monday?) It was still 4.13.  I will be doing that tonight.  I can't think of any reason for that behavior, so this should be interesting.

Haha, I wished, yet it didn't... We have been playing with the RPi in some courses at the university and I've been sitting on the edge for months hoping for a new version. As that never happened, I started looking for other options and the choice felt on the Tinker Board. The main drawbacks of the Tinker Board is of course the community, yet since I want to learn and develop skills there shouldn't be any issue to fill the software gaps by myself. Which I have by compiling latest software versions right from the source as the versions in the repo are outdated by months... I'm so satisfied as I could get! I wasn't thinking that my Tinker Board was able to transcode huge 1080p files, yet it does and from a hardware point of view, compared to the RPi of course, the Tinker Board is marvelous!