H6 boards: Orange Pi One Plus, Orange Pi 3 Plus and Pine H64

tkaiser

On 1/30/2018 at 1:55 AM, Noah E. Koeppel said:

Open SuperSU and update binaries using the normal method.

What do you mean by update binaries?

It worked nice, but there were bugs while running some apps, and kodi was freezing during the playback of movies. It seems that the new release fixes that.

I'm trying to upgrade it now using their own upgrade app, from the file downloaded to an USB pendrive. Lets see if it fixes...

The new release of the Zidoo firmware: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?forums/h6-pro-official-firmware-releases.47/

I think this is definitely the best functionality one can give to an OPiOnePlus.

Edit: the upgrade was done successfully. It seems more stable, but it still crashes with kodi

sound and image are also out of sync

Congrats, you have rooted android with play services

Unfortunately the rom forces the ui to hide itself systemwide so you have to drag from the top or bottom to access notifications and navigation.  If you want to use your pi as more of a tablet this can get annoying and if anyone has a fix i'd love to hear it but Zidoo certainly isn't in a hurry to change anything for us pi users.

Do you think that because OrangePiOnePlus has 1Gb RAM compared to the 2Gb from Zidoo is a problem?

I think it's reading the mac address of the wifi and comparing it to something, I just need to figure out what's doing it.

edit:

i got mine today and you are correct, it's not working, it is checking for a wifi config that is different from the opi, we're going to have to figure out another way for wifi

On 2/2/2018 at 4:14 AM, James Kingdon said:

My OPi one+ arrived. I burned the ubuntu image with etcher and it worked fine. I had to manually resize the fs but you expect a few rough edges with a new board.

The bare board runs on the hot side, idling at a reported (but unconfirmed) 48C. Benchmarks quickly push it into throttling at 70C, but even so it is faster (just) than any of my other 4 core boards. I'll add a heatsink and fan and see if I can get the temps under control. If so, and if the board remains reliable it seems like excellent value for money. The H6 looks very promising.

Hi There,

I have tried to resize the root partition several times. I used fdisk to achieve that. I always did make sure to use the same sector for the beginning of the partition and I used the default last sector that it does recommend. But I always keep getting in a boot loop after rebooting. I even did install a ubuntu vm on my macbook just make sure that this is not happening due to manipulating the partition in the running system. But I had the same issue (boot-loop) after it. Any advice here?

Regards

On 1/30/2018 at 2:55 AM, Noah E. Koeppel said:

Oh, it's not too hard but there are no instructions really, should be the same for all H6 boards for windows (not 100% sure about wifi): 

1. Download PhoenixCard 4.1.2 (3 might work but 4 works better)
  2. Download the image for your device http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/
  3. Use PhoenixCard in StartUp mode to burn the image to a microSD (class 10 or higher recommended https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/img/video_speed class_01.jpg)
  4. Insert and boot.

Now you can do stuff to it:

1. Enable USB0 device mode in Settings->Developer Options
  2. Install ADB (there's lots of ways but this will make it easy https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979)
  3. Download the AFWall+ apk from github (https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/releases)
  4. Open a command window and type "adb install pathto/AFWall.version.apk"
  5. Download the Zidoo H6 Pro 1.0.10 OTA zip from https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-stick--console-computers/allwinner/zidoo-h6-pro-android-7-0-allwinner-h6-2-t3682338
  6. Open a command window and type "adb push pathto/ZIDOO_H6_Pro_20170930_v1.0.10_ota.zip /sdcard"
  7. Type "adb reboot recovery"
  8. MAKE SURE YOUR BOARD IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET (If you have an ethernet connection make sure it is unplugged, if you have wifi make sure it doesn't connect to the internet)
  9. Choose "Apply update from Internal" and select ZIDOO_H6_Pro_20170930_v1.0.10_ota.zip (this will take a while but be patient and it will eventually reboot)
  10. You should now be booted into the Zidoo launcher, you should first open AFWall+ and set it to blacklist mode, then select the item that includes "Input Devices" in the description and enable the firewall from the settings.
  11. You can now connect to the internet and sign into google.
  12. Download SuperSU from google play or install it from adb.
  13. Open SuperSU and update binaries using the normal method.

Unfortunately the rom forces the ui to hide itself systemwide so you have to drag from the top or bottom to access notifications and navigation.  If you want to use your pi as more of a tablet this can get annoying and if anyone has a fix i'd love to hear it but Zidoo certainly isn't in a hurry to change anything for us pi users.

Hi Noah, do you eventually have a URL for PhoenixCard 4.1.2. I cannot find it out there and all 3-based-versions are not working for me.

Regards
Ilir

EDIT: I found it, its inside the Toolchain Package for the Orange PI One Plus http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/. With this i finally managed to get the android image on the sdcard. With the 3.x versions I always had an error popping up.

So for the wifi one or even the regular one instead of using a firewall you can just replace /system/framework/services.jar with the original one from before flashing the zidoo ota and it won't load system/lib/libzdauth_jni.so which is the culpret for those popups. I'll attach the file, then just use adb;

adb remount

adb push services.jar /system/framework

adb reboot

services.jar

Thanks for the information Noah E.Koeppel.

Had yesterday flashed the Zidoo rom and was getting at first the update error, had the AFWall configured the opposited way.

When i'm home will flash the services.jar and try it without the firewall.

Have you guys tested 4K content already? and see what te temperature of the board is?

It seems that once you get the error message, even if you block the service on the firewall after that, the error will still show up. So one has to block it before it first runs the check.

It worked for me here with no problem. Although some apps are crashing among other bugs...

Just now, joaofl said:

It seems that once you get the error message, even if you block the service on the firewall after that, the error will still show up. So one has to block it before it first runs the check.

It worked for me here with no problem. Although some apps are crashing among other bugs...

Was just testing it and had the same problems

ZIUI and quick settings app are crashing continues.

The rom feels a little bit unstable. With youtube the movies and sound are 'lagging'.

Anyone tried another H6 rom yet?

I compiled my own from the source on the website but it was even less stable.  I think we either have to work with what we have or wait until more serious developers have a chance to work out some of the bugs. Personally i disabled all the Zidoo stuff with titanium backup and I don't get any errors.  Aditionally I pushed a different systemui that I compiled from aosp that replaces the annoying zidoo one, i'll attach it.  it goes in syste/priv-app/SystemUI/

So far i'm still having issues with play services but i'm able to use a browser on my PC to trigger apps to install so it could be worse.  If you're getting errors you can try pushing an updated play store, search google, it goes in /system/priv-app/Phonesky/Phonesky.apk

you can push Launcher2.apk in to /system/priv-app/Launcher2 for a functional launcher

SystemUI.apk

Launcher2.apk

Thanks.

Yesterday i decided to skip the Zidoo H6 rom and have tested the Beelink GS1 H6 rom.

This rom is faster, feels stable and plays 4K60FPS with no problem in KODI. Only problem is that with this rom i cannot get audio passthrough from KODI yet worked.

https://beelink-my.sharepoint.com/personal/firmwareservice_beelink_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=11ef45a02b5764645b8cf5a85a710d342&authkey=AZk7PNMk2cjZUScOW0HwCPA&e=5845e909825b4439828325ae73fdbad6

I assembled a mainline (thanks @Icenowy and @jernej!) image with some Arch rootfs for my PineH64 and now after the libdram workarounds and other spl fixes seem to work, I got a least USB2, USB3 and GbE working...  waiting for some more linux-sunxi upstream patches now to fix an issue with DRAM clocks...

11 hours ago, Maurice Vroegop said:

Thanks.

Yesterday i decided to skip the Zidoo H6 rom and have tested the Beelink GS1 H6 rom.

This rom is faster, feels stable and plays 4K60FPS with no problem in KODI. Only problem is that with this rom i cannot get audio passthrough from KODI yet worked.

https://beelink-my.sharepoint.com/personal/firmwareservice_beelink_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=11ef45a02b5764645b8cf5a85a710d342&authkey=AZk7PNMk2cjZUScOW0HwCPA&e=5845e909825b4439828325ae73fdbad6

I tried that, for me I needed supersu and zidoo had it pre-installed and beelink didn't.  I think beelink also bumps the os to 7.1.  I'll mess with that ota at some point and try and get su to work.

Now that the DRAM config issues (at least for dual-rank LPDDR3) seem to be fixed on mainline Linux for H6, I had time to run some first tests... On my PineH64 (2GB) GbE seems to work ok (I get 930 / 720 Mbit/s in iperf3 without even touching gmac delays) and USB2 can be saturated using a SSD (Samsung 850Pro/JMS578 USB3-SATA bridge). USB3 seems to have some issue with buffer allocation at the moment, but I still got about 380MB/s reading and 75MB/s writing. The writing limitation is odd an needs some further investigation...

On 15/02/2018 at 2:48 PM, Xalius said:

Now that the DRAM config issues (at least for dual-rank LPDDR3) seem to be fixed on mainline Linux for H6, I had time to run some first tests... On my PineH64 (2GB) GbE seems to work ok (I get 930 / 720 Mbit/s in iperf3 without even touching gmac delays) and USB2 can be saturated using a SSD (Samsung 850Pro/JMS578 USB3-SATA bridge). USB3 seems to have some issue with buffer allocation at the moment, but I still got about 380MB/s reading and 75MB/s writing. The writing limitation is odd an needs some further investigation...

Xalius, how did it get resolved? Could you please point me to the topic/URL?

Oh, it's not too hard but there are no instructions really, should be the same for all H6 boards for windows (not 100% sure about wifi): 

1. Download PhoenixCard 4.1.2 (3 might work but 4 works better)
  2. Download the image for your device http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/
  3. Use PhoenixCard in StartUp mode to burn the image to a microSD (class 10 or higher recommended https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/img/video_speed class_01.jpg)
  4. Insert and boot.

Now you can do stuff to it:

Issue is that Zidoo is taking a lot to update their firmware, and user are complaining a lot on their forums for their lack of responsiveness. So i found another compatible TV box.

The Beelink GS1 TV Box which runs android 7.1 on a Allwinner H6. From some videos on Youtube, their distribution seems quiet stable. Have anybody tested it? Gonna give it a try tonight.

Follows the link for the firmware: https://www.chinagadgetsreviews.com/download-android-nougat-7-1-firmware-beelink-gs1-tv-box-2.html

2 hours ago, joaofl said:

Issue is that Zidoo is taking a lot to update their firmware, and user are complaining a lot on their forums for their lack of responsiveness. So i found another compatible TV box.

The Beelink GS1 TV Box which runs android 7.1 on a Allwinner H6. From some videos on Youtube, their distribution seems quiet stable. Have anybody tested it? Gonna give it a try tonight.

Follows the link for the firmware: https://www.chinagadgetsreviews.com/download-android-nougat-7-1-firmware-beelink-gs1-tv-box-2.html

Yes i had tried this rom. it feels stable but it has no support for audio passthrough.

18 hours ago, Maurice Vroegop said:

Yes i had tried this rom. it feels stable but it has no support for audio passthrough.

Yesterday i installed it. It seems way more well developed than the Zidoo one. Kodi runs smoth.

BUT, both with the Zidoo and Beelink, when I'm playing a video file, usually some Bluuray rip, the board freezes after some 3 minutes of playback.

I wonder if this is caused by lack of RAM, since we have 1Gb compared to the Beelink 2Gb. Do you suggest a way of figuring out why this is happening?

Is there a way to tune android for a 1Gb system? How can I monitor the RAM usage?

Cheers

On 2/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, Xalius said:

I assembled a mainline (thanks @Icenowy and @jernej!) image with some Arch rootfs for my PineH64 and now after the libdram workarounds and other spl fixes seem to work, I got a least USB2, USB3 and GbE working...  waiting for some more linux-sunxi upstream patches now to fix an issue with DRAM clocks...

@Xalius any instructions how to do this? Or is there an image you can share? I recently got an orange pi lite 2. The orange pi one+ image boots, but without internet net connection it's useless. I'm also especially interested in usb 3, which is the reason I bought this board.  

On 2/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, joaofl said:

Yesterday i installed it. It seems way more well developed than the Zidoo one. Kodi runs smoth.

BUT, both with the Zidoo and Beelink, when I'm playing a video file, usually some Bluuray rip, the board freezes after some 3 minutes of playback.

I wonder if this is caused by lack of RAM, since we have 1Gb compared to the Beelink 2Gb. Do you suggest a way of figuring out why this is happening?

Is there a way to tune android for a 1Gb system? How can I monitor the RAM usage?

I did run some more experiments, and it is not related to RAM after all... There is little RAM available, but it still goes on with some 100 Mb free, which should be fine.

The same blocking issue does not happen when using VLC... So I guess the problem is somewhat more complicated than lack of RAM. Maybe some driver issue. Do not really know.

12 hours ago, alexPixel said:

@Xalius any instructions how to do this? Or is there an image you can share? I recently got an orange pi lite 2. The orange pi one+ image boots, but without internet net connection it's useless. I'm also especially interested in usb 3, which is the reason I bought this board.  

What Xalius is doing is getting Linux to boot and run on the PineH64, this probably won't be helpful for Orange Pi users anytime soon.  The pine is configured a bit differently and won't boot using the default Allwinner settings.