H6 boards: Orange Pi One Plus, Orange Pi 3 Plus and Pine H64

tkaiser

On 21.2.2018 at 10:38 PM, Noah E. Koeppel said:

The pine is configured a bit differently and won't boot using the default Allwinner settings.

I have got my H64 this week and because there is no software from pine at the moment, i tried the Ubuntu Server image for Opi ONE Plus. It is booting and after installing xvfb and xserver stuff, i was able to use a basic Desktop system. I would not recommend this System, it was just to see if the Hardware is working. Xulongs image is a Mix of Ubuntu and Debain Sources,  Kernel is the old BSP 3.10.65.

Even there is no Graphic Acceleration at all, the System is running quite smooth.

Regards

Mainline Linux works quite well on my H6 board (PineH64), or other H6 boards for that matter..., as far as it is supported by linux-sunxi (spl, usb2, usb3, GbE) and I think icenowy is currently looking into PCIe, she already submitted a patch for basic H6 support to the ML for Linux upstream... As for the BSP Linux, I did not look into the 3.10.x BSP (http://files.pine64.org/os/sdk/H64-ver1.0/H6-BSP-1.0.tgz) other to confirm it's the same mess as the A64 BSP, the 4.9.x BSP kernel boots and you can probably even make one of those AW Phoenix card images with it for your board (Linux 4.9 BSP and tools https://github.com/Allwinner-Homlet/), but if I am going to use BSP kernel, then integrated with normal upstream u-boot/spl... currently the 4.9 BSP does not contain ATF sources, only a binary blob (bl31.bin), so integrating that with upstream boot firmware is tricky...

As for Android, Pine64 should release a new Android image for the PineH64 shortly, which I think will be based on the new 4.9 BSP too...

3 hours ago, Juris Zeltins said:

Where we can get this new PineH64? In forum the say it will be available in 3rd week of March...   I am looking for H6/rk3328 with Gbe/usb3 and maybe PCIe.. and these are only boards.

Looking at the state of Linux on the H6 atm, I would recommend going with RK3328 if you need hardware immediately...

No, I just need cheap and fast cores for mini-docker cluster. H6/1Gb board for $20 is quite OK, but nobody provides at least empty (mean only network, editor and pkg tools :)) ready-to-flash armbian/ubuntu/*ian etc for sd card to start play with. (for Opi Lite2).

I do not need these GPU/audio/desktop/android firmware/os versions...

49 minutes ago, Juris Zeltins said:

I just need cheap and fast cores for mini-docker cluster.

Armbian release policy is to provide images when they are (production) usable at least for server cases. There are usually many things which need to be fixed before getting to GPU, audio, desktop, ... stock AW kernel is usually a total mess/junk as @Xalius already pointed out.

H6 ... H5 is somewhere between testing and stable stage which means it should work, but troubles are expected. H6 is ... there are only a few people working on something, most of us don't have any of those boards ... too early.

RK3328 is the only choice if you need USB3 othewise just get some H5 board. 

I have Lite2 board (H6 + AP6225 wifi + USB3).

Can somebody help to understand how to configure Armbian toolchain to prepare ubuntu server os for sd card and to use propper kernel config files? Currently stuck on board definition, VM is ready and waiting for propper config to use at least minimal modules - wifi and usb3.

On 24.2.2018 at 2:51 PM, Xalius said:

As for Android, Pine64 should release a new Android image for the PineH64 shortly, which I think will be based on the new 4.9 BSP too...

The Android Image for Pine H64 is released now, BSP is 3.10.65 Security Patch level is 5.11.2016...I do not know if it is worth to take a deeper look in.

21 hours ago, Da Alchemist said:

The Android Image for Pine H64 is released now, BSP is 3.10.65 Security Patch level is 5.11.2016...I do not know if it is worth to take a deeper look in.

have you tested it on the orange pi? If ethernet, HDMI audio, Kodi works smoothly, and if it doesn't freeze, then it should be the best image around. Will test it asap.

Hi to everybody

When is there a first version of the armbian / debian for H6, Orange PIus H6?

I'm already using the official linux version for several weeks, processor always at 1800Mhz with fan on and stable, about 42/45°C.

In my opinion, an excellent board as a server or a computational system.

Thanks

sagt3k

19 hours ago, joaofl said:

have you tested it on the orange pi? If ethernet, HDMI audio, Kodi works smoothly, and if it doesn't freeze, then it should be the best image around. Will test it asap.

No ethernet unfortunately

1 hour ago, goosh said:

No ethernet unfortunately

Yes...  Unfortunately.

Do you have any clue on how to manually add the right driver to their Android? Since there is no OTA images, I don't know how to partially use the oPi kernel on others image.

Have you tested that any further? Does Kodi work properly?

On 27.2.2018 at 6:12 PM, radek said:

when arnbian for orangepi lite2 and H6 Allwinner cpu? Do you preparing for that?

10 hours ago, sagt3k said:

When is there a first version of the armbian / debian for H6, Orange PIus H6?

When you read the comment from @Igor a few days before it should be clear that this doesn't happen that fast.. :P 

On 24.2.2018 at 5:40 PM, Igor said:

stock AW kernel is usually a total mess/junk as @Xalius already pointed out.

Translation: Probably no Dev has an interest to clean up the BSP kernel to make it useful for an Armbian based images (similar to the H5 where armbian also doesn't provide BSP kernel based Images).

On 24.2.2018 at 5:40 PM, Igor said:

H6 is ... there are only a few people working on something, most of us don't have any of those boards ... too early.

Doesn't need a translation... Too early says everything.... :P

You can follow http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainlining_Effort#Status_Matrix to get an idea about how far away this SoC is. You can follow @Icenowy, she's to my knowledge the most active one in getting it mainlined :) or you're following the sunxi mailing list.... http://linux-sunxi.org/Mailing_list

The small OPi H6 boards do not have unique features which makes them interesting (there's nothing wrong about this boards, but you get alternatives for the same job which have a better support on software side), even for the pine H64 there are alternatives where armbian provides images  - maybe not (yet) labeled 'stable'... 

Early adopters pay always I price - in the SBC world it's mostly the lack of software support..

Hi

Would like to know if there is any of the existing armbian images that would work on the new board Orange Pi One Plus ? or if there is an estimated timeframe when it might be avalaible on that platform ?

Thanks a lot,

Vincèn

The android related stuff for H6 boards (e.g.  bringing up ETH on android) was splittend and can be found here:

This thread is focused on linux on H6 boards and probably in the future armbian on those boards.

In case this: "when armbians buildscript is able to build H6 images?" will come up every second day again... I'll split them too in a thread cause it's answered by @Igor... 

40 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Regarding PCIe on H6 - I would recommend reading this whole thread (including quoted text since not everybody CCed the linux-sunxi ML) to adjust their expectations regarding usability, mainlining status and possible performance of this PCIe host implementation.

Lame, I was hoping to get to use a PCIe SDR on it, looks like it will be a while if ever before it's even usable

Ohh... very nice, Lite2 also has server image...  and this is after I have started to read docs and other stuff to make own rootfs sd image with "random kernel" :D

Update:

Ubuntu server on Lite2 booted from first attempt OK,  USB/USB3 ports are working (have only kerboard), so can't test USB3 performance.

In console over HDMI cant see blinking cursor...

Chip is pretty hot during idle (only ping), heatsink will be mandatory under heavy loads or even idle!!

Network on 2.4Ghz working but has some slow ping performance (50ms)

Switched to 5Ghz mode and got ~16ms

PS: laptop can ping same host with 10ms (also in AC/5Ghz wifi mode)

3 hours ago, Maurice Vroegop said:

There is a new Ubuntu Desktop image deployed today.

You can find it over here: https://mega.nz/#F!wbRFwYyA!a-xbNcCcBQl8UlvTdwNj-g!gCRwwS7I

Tell me please, what a kernel version in this Ubuntu Desktop ?  3.10.* as in already deployed in server image or higher ?

Now i use "One plus" with Ubuntu Server version and don't understand: who choosed that stupid desicion to make Ubuntu server version for all-new hardware with so old kernel witch not provide many drivers for wifi dongles and some other pluged-in stuff.