Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H5 Wont turn on with SD Card

xalu

Hello,

Just received this board and I can't get it to turn on if the SD card is present. I've tried several cards and I know them to be good (Samsung Evo 32GB). 

Any ideas? 

Edited by chwe
Moved to h5

6 hours ago, chwe said:

Know means you've tested it wit F3 or H2testw and they didn't show any errors. I throw my ring in the hat and say: Powersource.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

After your post I downloaded H2testw and there were no issues. It's from amazon so it is a legitimate card.  Cards good for sure thanks to the test.

For power Ive tried my PSU from my Pi3, its rated at 2 amps. I've also tried my powered 3.0 usb hub rated at 2.4amps.

33 minutes ago, xalu said:

It's from amazon so it is a legitimate card.

Just wait until @tkaiser sees this conclusion.  :P Nothing against amazon, I also buy stuff from there (also SD-Cards),  but they could also get counterfeit/fake sd-cards in their supply chain.  But, you checked it and we assume it should be ok.  

33 minutes ago, xalu said:

For power Ive tried my PSU from my Pi3, its rated at 2 amps

The one from the RPi store?

Which image do you use? Can we assume you followed the getting started guide (e.g. burning Image with etcher)? Do you have an USB-ttl?

56 minutes ago, chwe said:

The one from the RPi store?

My power supply is also from amazon :D  But again it works fine under load from the Pi and the opi zero plus 2 h3 (these names are annoying to type out). But I may be able to source a different psu if you really think that's it. 

No power with SD but power without :  Is that a common issue for weak/bad PSU?

56 minutes ago, chwe said:

Which image do you use? Can we assume you followed the getting started guide (e.g. burning Image with etcher)?

Yes, followed the guide up to burning with etcher and putting it in the opi. But no power so not much I can do. 

57 minutes ago, chwe said:

Do you have an USB-ttl?

Well  I just went rummaging around for one I had but I can't find it. I do have ample supply of arduino boards so I can use one of them. I think I have a OTG splitter cable that might work for powering and data. I thought my hub would be ok for OTG power & data..at least to set up. But that doesn't look likely now/

3 hours ago, xalu said:

My power supply is also from amazon :D  But again it works fine under load from the Pi and the opi zero plus 2 h3 (these names are annoying to type out). But I may be able to source a different psu if you really think that's it. 

I'm not an expert, but I think, when it runs stable with your OPi0+h3 (yeah, it is an annoying naming from xunlong  :P ), it should also run with the h5. The RPi has some 'protection' against low voltage whereas the opi doesn't have such a protection. So, at the moment I don't think that it is a powersource or SD-card issue (a personal opinion).  

3 hours ago, xalu said:

Well  I just went rummaging around for one I had but I can't find it. I do have ample supply of arduino boards so I can use one of them

A usb-ttl would make debug easier. It should be possible to use a 3.3V arduino as serial debugger. I'm not sure if RX/TX is capable for 5V logic level (maybe not the best idea to figure it out yet.. :P ).  You'll see if something boots and where it hangs. H5 images are experimental, but to my knowledge it should boot up (to be honest, I don't have a opi0+2 to test it). 

Edit: an other bonus for usb-ttl: you don't' need any peripherals connected to your pi during boot (so, if psu is an issue with all your peripherals connected to the board, this should help decreasing power consumption of the board).

1 hour ago, chwe said:

A usb-ttl would make debug easier. It should be possible to use a 3.3V arduino as serial debugger. I'm not sure if RX/TX is capable for 5V logic level (maybe not the best idea to figure it out yet.. :P ).  You'll see if something boots and where it hangs.

The arduino wouldn't handle 5v from the Pi you mean?  If that's the case I have a 5v clone I might be able to use. Save me 10 bucks.  EDIT: I'll use my multimeter to be safe and find out voltage for both.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help.

5 minutes ago, chwe said:

NO! OPi is @3.3V, most arduinos (or clones) are at 5V logic level.

Haha Okay..  No blue smoke didnt get that far.

I guess I'll have to figure it out, or buy one.

Thanks again!

You got them for 1-2$ from your *random chinese supplier*.  Keep in mind, most FDTI driven ones are fake (just google fake fdti). I have one, running without issues (but known, it is fake), one makes me crazy everytime. I prefer the CH340G ones, this chip is too cheap to fake it.  :PEasiest is a usb-ttl whereas you can decide between 5V and 3.3V, so you can use it for programming your arduinos too.

I spent a good 45 minutes looking everywhere for what I thought might be a USB to TTL. Finally gave up and came back to do some work. I looked in the drawer at my desk and I found what I was looking for and I saw my arduino pro-mini with its programmer attached. That's when it clicked.. THIS was a usb to serial. (DOH) 5V's though...

1LP5qbpIEuZvFLqEAsTKOo8Az3mOZRnAvo5ivCyP

Flipped it over and its both! :D

Q-M_WHc1ouJbDFZVnboaecy2xJuq_9EFC3sEfiQ6

I found what I was looking for but its PIC programmer. Not sure if it would work for this. I'll report back if I get some answers when I get the board connected to serialq8TskRiiyVH-RRu6ZeFDjzlJt8PxLs_wrtWkA7hr

This is something I've never heard before but it's probably just me...I've been talking to support at aliexpress they said:

Zero Plus2 H5 have EMMC, we pre-installed the Android image on EMMC, so you can boot the board without the SD card.

I had no idea. Not sure how to connect the wifi I dont have a usb

Alright,  So UART got me to the terminal (Thanks for pushing me to it!)and  I got some really good help from the aliexpress team by being on the nightshift for work.

With TTL:

First I tried no SD card which just gave me a bunch of unusable stuff.

Next I tried with a burnt SD card (this was a flavor from there site since the armbian didnt work before).

Nothing, no output on terminal. No power LED

After that I figured why not try an SD card thats just been formatted (Empyt). That way I could see if it would at least turn on if an SD card was in there, and also narrow it down. Sure enough it loaded and I got U-Boot:

127|root@cheetah-p1:/ #
U-Boot SPL 2017.01-rc1-g5df570f-dirty (May 14 2017 - 17:34:08)
DRAM: 512 MiB
Failed to set core voltage! Can't set CPU frequency
Trying to boot from MMC1NOTICE:  BL3-1: Running on H5 (1718) in SRAM A2 (@0x44000)
NOTICE:  Configuring SPC Controller
NOTICE:  BL3-1: v1.0(debug):aa75c8d
NOTICE:  BL3-1: Built : 17:34:02, May 14 2017
INFO:    BL3-1: Initializing runtime services
INFO:    BL3-1: Preparing for EL3 exit to normal world
INFO:    BL3-1: Next image address: 0x4a000000, SPSR: 0x3c9

U-Boot 2017.01-rc1-g5df570f-dirty (May 14 2017 - 17:34:15 +0200) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner H5 (SUN50I)
Model: OrangePiZeroPlus
DRAM:  512 MiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0, SUNXI SD/MMC: 1
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Setting up a 720x576i composite-pal console (overscan 32x20)
Error: no valid bmp image at 66000000
In:    serial
Out:   vga
Err:   vga
Net:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading /boot/boot.bmp
** Unable to read file /boot/boot.bmp **
reading boot.bmp
** Unable to read file boot.bmp **
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
mmc1(part 0) is current device
Scanning mmc 1:1...
starting USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
USB1:   USB OHCI 1.0
scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found

USB device 0: unknown device
No ethernet found.
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-sunxi
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm
No ethernet found.
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default
No ethernet found.
Config file not found
No ethernet found.
No ethernet found.
=>

> version

U-Boot 2017.01-rc1-g5df570f-dirty (May 14 2017 - 17:34:15 +0200) Allwinner Technology
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4) 5.4.0 20160609
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.26.1

After playing around I tried boot:

=> boot
reading /boot/boot.bmp
** Unable to read file /boot/boot.bmp **
reading boot.bmp
** Unable to read file boot.bmp **
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
reading /boot.scr
538 bytes read in 52 ms (9.8 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 4fc00000
gpio: pin PA17 (gpio 17) value is 1
reading script.bin
35260 bytes read in 54 ms (636.7 KiB/s)
reading uImage
4680288 bytes read in 331 ms (13.5 MiB/s)
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 48000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.4.39
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4680224 Bytes = 4.5 MiB
   Load Address: 40008000
   Entry Point:  40008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
Unsupported Architecture 0x2
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...
mmc1(part 0) is current device
Scanning mmc 1:1...

Progress at last.  I don't know whats going with the errors it threw up there, but armbian is next and I will try to burn SD on my macbook if it doesnt work

Completely forgot this stock androids on eMMC... It's not that uncommon..  :P

9 hours ago, xalu said:

Thanks for pushing me to it!

There's a reason why we push people to the usb-ttl.  :P

Even if it's not solved everything yet, you see now what's going on during boot.